Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #41
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Looking at the maps, she could head straight across the UP and straight down the length of Michigan, through Detroit to Jackson Center.

It's 220 miles longer than going through (or around) Chicago, but nothing will be moving though that part of the midwest for about three days, if then. The big storm that paralyzed Oklahoma is gonna hit Illinois next.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We just watched the weather. Michelle and thecat (no cats this trip) figure they'll be watching the weather for a Wednesday departure at the earliest.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #43
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Well Michelle, you are more than welcome to stop here on your way to JC, that sleet may be done by Wed and they salt the roads good in Meeshigan, at least in my county they do
Old 12-11-2007, 06:55 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
From mid-Mo...crashing ice-laden trees all around, about an inch of ice on trees and lines where we are with a little more freezing rain tonight, probably 1/4 inch. It seems tonight's ice is coming from Kansas, through KC and on across northeast. I think we along I70 from Columbia on to St. Louis will be on the southern edge, but bad icing forecast for the areas north and east. Southern Iowa is affected as well. Linemen and tree trimmers will get little sleep for the next week. Continued best wishes, Michelle. ~G
The past 24 hours has been a freight train of powerline trucks headed west on I-20 through Jackson/Vicksburg.
Good luck!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #45
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Hi all,
We made it to Canoestreams last night. Two hours later than anticipated. Getting south of the mess tomorrow will be a challange.
I am going to spend some time today planning the next phase of the trip. Right now it does not look like we are going to make JC tomorrow.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #46
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Hi all,
We made it to Canoestreams last night. Two hours later than anticipated. Getting south of the mess tomorrow will be a challange.
I am going to spend some time today planning the next phase of the trip. Right now it does not look like we are going to make JC tomorrow.
Take your time, JC will still be there even if it takes you an extra day to get there...We don't want them having to perform more body repairs on your coach.
Have a safe continuation of your trip.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The sky here is hazy but sunny. We are around 100-150 miles from most storm effects. Michelle's travel issue becomes when northern Illinois & Indiana will be passable. She woke up pretty slow this morning -- driving this far from Boise in 2 days takes it outa ya. Good to get a rest.

The temp is 16 with no wind here in the late morning. Terry, that's comfortable enough to work outside for 10-15 minutes with little more than a heavy shirt and gloves. Maybe I'll crawl back in my hole if you nod your head while muttering, "If you say so ... ya goofy Yank!"

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
The temp is 16 with no wind here in the late morning. Terry, that's comfortable enough to work outside for 10-15 minutes with little more than a heavy shirt and gloves. Maybe I'll crawl back in my hole if you nod your head while muttering, "If you say so ... ya goofy Yank!"
16? It's 83 here today, with sun...I am watching a tropical storm near Puerto Rico...
Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #49
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Michelle, U go girl!

Take it easy, go slow, be safe.

PS, when U get to JC, let me know where they have hung my artwork!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #50
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
16? It's 83 here today, with sun...I am watching a tropical storm near Puerto Rico...
Terry, didn't know you had such good eyesight?
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #51
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Terry, didn't know you had such good eyesight?
It's a very large system...
Old 12-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #52
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
We did not go anywhere with the trailer today. Spent some time sight seeing. We are going to try to head out tomorrow. Not sure if we are going 94 to 39 and try to get south. Or continue on 94 towards Chicago. We will be checking the weather in the morning before leave.

Once we arrive I will check on the art work.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #53
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Don't want to be a spoiler, but I think the only chance of making it to Jackson Center is to leave before daylight.

Don't go south on I-39 or you'll be heading right into it.

There is a short window of clear weather around Chicago mid-day tomorrow, and if you follow it you might make it to JC around nightfall. On Thursday everyting will turn to s**t again.

That assumes that the roads will have been salted and will be wet but not icy.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Michelle hit the road about an hour ago. It's -3 here, 17 above in Madison WI and 34 in Indianapolis. My daughter was driving 39/90 south from Madison this morning and phoned in a scouting report -- the road surface is clean and dry. It will take Michelle 6-7 hours to reach that area, so road crews should have the red carpet out. It looks pretty good already. Jackson Center here she comes!

Saying she usually doesn't let others drive her truck, Michelle did let me back her baby between the brick pillars Monday night. She joked that the driveway ice might pull the tread off her Marathons. It looks like all she left behind was warmth and memories of great firefighting videos. Godspeed Michelle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelle in my driveway.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	50730   Click image for larger version

Name:	thecatsandi.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	50731  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Great update CanoeStream - Safe Travels Michelle........ Florida is not far away.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I just called Michelle. I last received a phone call when they were by the Wisconsin Dells not quite six hours ago. They now have passed Bloomington IL (sorry, 6 months late for the Moraine View rally -- come back in June! ). Roads are decent and the temp is 33 -- danged good and little risk of refreezing at that temp. I don't think the ground is frozen down there. They decided to avoid Chi town & Joliet's rush hour. They're gunning for Jackson Center tonight -- Mapquest says 300 miles or so. It will be a late night but her appointment does start at 7:00 tomorrow AM. Whew! you guys. That's pretty extreme. Good thing Sarah (meow) loves ya. Enjoy your visit to the Neil Armstrong museum at Wapakoneta tomorrow.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #57
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Way to go Michelle, nothing but rain and above freezing temps here tonight, but a change is coming later this week. In the picture of Bob and you, it looks like ice coming out of the water heater. Is that my imagination?

Welcome to Ohio!

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 12-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #58
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Great updates Bob! You tow Michelle!!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Michelle found a roadside stop that had a dump station just after entering Minnesota on monday afternoon. She opened her water drain & HW heater to find that neither would drain. The HW heater drained (and froze along the side) on the way down I-94. The water tank thawed (unthawed in the local dialect) only after she was in my driveway and the furnace had a chance to catch up with 65 mph windchill. The driveway skating rink is nothing out of the ordinary for what I experience several times every winter. Draining this readily would suggest she had nothing more than a problem at the valve. I've towed in weather like this but only with empty tanks.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Hi Michelle,
Be safe and enjoy Neil Armstrong Museum, John and I were there last year while our AS was at JC getting worked on. We really enjoyed it and the little town there is great for antiqueing if you have more time to spend.
Keep us posted and can't wait to see you and Sarah the kitty at the Women's Rally in March!
Cat =^^=