Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Headed to Texas

Just finished loading and hooking up the TINRITZ. Leave early tomrrow for Texas and the warm weather. If you see us on the highway flash your lights or toot the horn and wave and we will know you are a forum member. Post any sightings here with date time and location. Our route is US23 to I75 to I71 to I65 to I40 to I30 to Texas 59 to Texas 281 to Texas 83. Our trailer is a 96 30' Excella 1000 towed by a dark red 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with a matching cab high cap. Our stops will be south of Louisville the first night, Brinkley Arkansas the 2nd night, Nacogdoches the 3rd night, the 4th night will be stopping in Houston to visit some old friends, and will arrive on the 6th at our winter camp in Mission Texas. Will stay in Mission until mid March when we will move up to San Marcos for two weeks so we can visit both Austin and San Antoino and may be there for the start of wildflower season. From there on to Gulf Shores to visit some more friends and head home just in time to file our income tax. Will have the lap top with us so will be able to check in on a regular basis.

Jim & Gloria
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Welcome

Well, when you get here, "Welcome to TEXAS!!!" It's a mere 83 today in Dallas, so it should be even warmer down south.

Have a great time!

Bimi
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Happy Travels!

Jim and Gloria--have a great time and a safe journey! Say hi to the sun from us folks up here in Michigan! Please don't forget to bring that sun on back north in the spring...we're counting on you!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
Hey Jim & Gloria -

We have Austin and San Antonio on our itineraries too. Our schedule is on our blog - check it out and let us know if we overlap, we always love seeing other airstreamers.

~L&B

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
We are here at our winter campground in Mission Texas. Weather is great and great to be backin Texas. Our move north to San Marcos won't be until March 15. Saw only two other Airstreams on the road down and one other here at camp and none are members of this forum, so told all about it and handed out address so maybe some new members.
Hope all you up north have a good winter.

Jim
Old 01-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
If you haven't traveled to Big Bend National Park, you may want to add that to your plans. It is roughly a days trip (west) from San Antonio, and some of the most beautiful country we have seen. Absolutely spectacular.
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Apple1,

Where are you in Mission? We spent the last two winters in El Valle Del Sol in Mission. Very nice park with a great group of people.
I miss wearing shorts all winter while bike riding.

We are going to Florida next month and stay for the Sarasota rally. Then we leave going west for the summer around May 15.

I am envious, have a good winter.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Were in Bentsen Palm Village which is the last campground on Bentsen Palm road just accross the road from the Texas World Birding center. The park is only 3 years old and is well designed with 100 of the sites arranged in 4 large circles and each site is 45'x80' and all pull throughs. The center of each circle contains a shelter where they hold excerise classes in one and pool tables in an other and a large club house. Also have large back in sites around the outer edge of the campground for a total of 200 sites. Have two laundry rooms, fitness center with all new high end equipment, wood shop, swiming pool, wifi at the site and cable TV. The owner holds a Margarita happy hour each week, and spends time talking to all of us about likes and dislikes and has taken many suggestions and made improvments almost over night.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Apple 1

Your description sounds great! Can you post some pics? Also do you have any infor on spaces that may be available and their weekly/monthyly rates.

Next winter we hope to head to Texas for our 4 week vacation and would like to start putting a few ideas in the file.

Like many others we are heading to Florida again this year -but not till mid Feb and returning just as March Break starts. Like Michigan we have about another 4-6 weeks of cold weather when we return.

Up in the air still on the FSR. Might take in a State Park instead...

Thanks for any info you can provide on the place you are staying.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Here is the park web site address http://bentsenpalmvillage.com/index.shtml which should answer any questions. They start taking reservations for next season in March. The park is currently full and those of us with 2 or 3 month reservations this year have first shot at reservations for next year in Febuary. There is a large group from Ontario here so you will fell right at home. We will also be back next year.
Jim
Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Thanks for the info Jim.

Out of curiosity I checked their on line reservations for the 20 days we will be South this winter and it indicates they have space available in a premium pull through.

Sol they must keep so many transient sites - or have customers subletting their spots - which is also quite common.

Yes I am sure there is a lot of people from Ontario The north head south in the winter and the south head north in the summer.

Our vacation spot up here sees a lot of visitors from New York and PA up for the great fishing and friendly faces

Again thanks I will keep this in mind for 2007 We just need another week to make the drive worth it.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote