Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Headed for Yellowstone

Leaving Spokane, Wa tomorrow and headed to Thompson Falls, Mt and then down to Salmon Lake, then to Three Forks...

Planning the trip.....any roads to be aware of???

I am going to enter yellowstone from Gardiner, Mt and head down to Madison campground for two days and then over to Fishing bridge and then down to Grants on the south end.

Then I am going south to the teton national park and thinking about going to Victor, Id via wyoming /Id route 22 that leads over Teton pass....

Anyone hauled a airstream over this route that has a summit of 8400 ft and includes stretches of 10% grade????
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
Leaving Spokane, Wa tomorrow and headed to Thompson Falls, Mt and then down to Salmon Lake, then to Three Forks...

Planning the trip.....any roads to be aware of???

I am going to enter yellowstone from Gardiner, Mt and head down to Madison campground for two days and then over to Fishing bridge and then down to Grants on the south end.

Then I am going south to the teton national park and thinking about going to Victor, Id via wyoming /Id route 22 that leads over Teton pass....

Anyone hauled a airstream over this route that has a summit of 8400 ft and includes stretches of 10% grade????
We were there last month or so and I think that pass is more like 9400 ft and there is 3 miles up and 3 miles down of 10% grade. Our old moho made it with no problem just take your time. It was first gear all the way for us. We stayed at a nice campgrund in Victor and the road south from there was pretty rough if I remember correctly.

Safe travels, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Teton Pass is no big deal towing-wise.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Be careful in Yellowstone. Isn't that the place that has had a couple of grizzly bear attacks this season?

Someone found just last week, I think, just off a trail and who had been dead awhile.

Other than that, a beautiful place. Be careful but have a great time!

Maggie
Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hwy 93 through the Bitterroots from Salmon to Missoulla is under major destruction. Very bad road, especially around Hamilton.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
Islander

not headed that way

i am not going in that direction
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Someone found just last week, I think, just off a trail and who had been dead awhile.

Maggie

What you didn't see in the news was that the bear had buried the guy with just his feet exposed, and that's how he was found.

The initial news reports said that his cause of death was undetermined and needed further study. DUH! What did they think? That he had buried himself that way?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Burying the body is evidence of evil intent.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Islander

montana route 200

we left spokane after a great stay at the bowl and pitcher park....the spokane river is beautiful and the hiking trails there are great.

headed up to sand point, idaho and over to clark fork and down idaho/montana route 200 as it follows the clark fork river and the great pend oreile lake along the bitterroot range....montana route 200 is a really great scenic drive. we stayed the night near thompson falls at the bird land bay rv resort....they all call them resorts....but this was a nice place with ospreys all around and a nest just nearby...

left early today and made our way to salmon lake state park off 200 on route 83...it is a great place as well.

tomorrow we head for the lewis and clark caverns state park near three forks...pending our arrival to gardener, mt ...the jumping off point for the yellowstone adventure.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Consider going in from Ennis.

Kingfisher,
Just there last week, beautiful weather. We ran in South from Three Rivers, thru Ennis and in to the park from West Yellowstone. This road follows the Madison and other rivers. Lots of pronghorn along the route, great fishing.
Easy haul on the Madison River road compared to our over the beartooth pass run a few years back.
We also spent some time in Grant Tetons as well the week prior, word of note, mosquitos are out all day, be ready for the them and for lots of water in rivers and lakes... and as always, have fun-
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Islander

lewis and clark caverns, montana

arrived here today...expecting an almost vacant park...but there is a FMCA rally taking place....overrunn with big coaches....but still a neat place....again the trip from salmon lake was quite scenic....down mt 200 and then down mt 141 and to US 12 and up and over the McDonald pass @ 6910 and into Helena, then down I15 to Boulder and a nice drive down MT 69 and into the three forks area and the caverns...

Saturday is down to Gardiner and begin to explore Yellowstone for 6 days
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Saturday is down to Gardiner and begin to explore Yellowstone for 6 days
Sooooo jealous, although we'll head back up that way next year hopefully! Travel safe!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
Islander

we have arrived

the drive along montana route 84 to bozeman from the turnoff at norris at US 287...it follows the madison river for a spell...is quite beautiful...and then into Bozeman and into Livingston and down US 89 as it follows the Yellowstone river south

we stopped at the yellowstone rv park in gardener to get our bearings before the official entry into the park on monday. Yesterday we did make the loop by going into the park , driving through mammoth hot springs and then east towards roosevelt/tower and then south to canyon, then back west and then north back to gardener....have not seen one critter yet
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Islander

into yellowstone

And we left the RV park in Gardiner Montana Monday the 12th and headed into the park with the airstream headed for madison junction and the campground there.

several other airstreams at the campground from montana, oregon, georgia, texas and illinois. madison as it turns out was the nicest of the campgrounds.

yellowstone is divided into two loops...a northern section and a southern.

from the north entrance one enters the mammoth springs area and if then one heads east you can explore tower falls and roosevelt areas as well as head out towards the bear tooth pass . then heading south towards canyon and the dunraven pass and the spectacular grand canyon of yellowstone. At Canyon village the loop can continue back west to the norris campground and then back north to mammoth springs.

from the madison campground heading south takes you to old faithful and along this stretch one finds the most prominent ares of the calderas that yellowstone is famous for. the many geysers along this stretch of the park is amazing...from old faithful ones heads south and towards and over the continental divide and craig's pass.

this continues to west thumb and then the journey up along the western shore of lake yellowstone an enormous and beautiful lake formed by the yellowstone river...this will take you to fishing bridge and it's RV "resort" the
worst sort of place one can imagine, in my opinion. but it is close to the east entrance to the park and some of the most rugged, remote scenery in the park. fishing bridge sported the most active bison activity in the park.

heading north from fishing bridge is some of the most beautiful scenery in the park as it runs right at the edge of the yellowstone river heading into the grand canyon.

we ended our stay at the park at grants village. the weather was mostly pleasant thru out the week with occasional showers, but today it turned rainy and was headed to 27 degrees tonight.

so we packed up and headed south for a journey thru the grand teton park and onto jackson, wy and up and over the teton pass....drive it if you can....

10 percent grade up for 6 miles and the same goin down.....

it is truly amazing at the amount of people and rvs in this park....this is the off season and every nook and cranny was full of people and every sort of rv imaginable. folks from every state and every providence of canada and one rv with european plates....

it is also the capitol of rented rvs...cruise americ.com has a monopoly in the park...
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
Long Time Lurker

2010 31' Classic
Quincy , Illinois
We were the Illinois Airstream at the campground. Yellowstone was wonderful but busier than I thought it would be. Can't imagine what it would be like in the summer. Pic below of our spot on Madison.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1953640637.png
Views:	182
Size:	919.2 KB
ID:	140373
boodalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
Islander

it is a wonderful place

i all these years had visions of what yellowstone would be....and it was not even close....it is so vast and so much to see....and so many folks trying to see it...

would love to see it in the winter or spring....would love to hike all the trails....and outrun all the bears

would love for the national parks to allow dogs more access

but so it goes
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
My Wife and I went a couple of years ago in early May, before the crowds hit, and unfortunately before the Bear Tooth highway opened up. Next time we go, It will probably be the same time of year. The only time we saw a crowd was if a black bear showed up near the roadside. IIRC we had a half dozen times we spotted one fo them.

But man did we see wildlife going in through the Roosevelt gate. Elk were everywhere, including inside all the campsites and happily wandering down the road through the narrow passes in the North entrance. Same with Buffalo.

It was a bit worrying though walking on the Beaver Ponds trail and seeing fresh wolf tracks in the mud. But the only time we saw a wolf was at a roadside view and from a good distance.

-Hans
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #18
Islander

photos

yellowstone....ok so i have a new computer.....an apple mac mini....i have always used windows AND NOW HAVE TO RELEARN HOW TO UPLOAD PHOTOS...A MUCH MORE INVOLVED PROCESS WITH AN APPLE....picture to left is from upper terraces near mammoth hot springs....the other gibbons falls
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3338.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	140444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3346.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	552.8 KB
ID:	140445  

WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #19
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
....and so many folks trying to see it...
How bad was it? We've hit a lot of foot traffic here in Yosemite and figured that it would be even worse there. I'm still trying to figure out that *magical* time to go when it's not overrun with either people or snow!!!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
My wife and I traveled there in late September and early October of 2010 and though busy it was not crowded as friends had found it in weeks before. It was a trip of a lifetime that I would take again and again if possible. I did not own an Airstream at the time but would love to go back now with one.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote