Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Have you gone to Alaska?

Looking to take a trip up the West coast to Alaska. I am hearing mixed opinions on the quality of the roads. Has anyone made this trip recently, last few years? If so, will the roads destroy our 30bunk? Or decimate our Duralex glasses?
Old 01-28-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Looking at the same sort of thing.

There are a lot of roads and a lot of routes you could take. Which way / where do you plan to go? Do you feel the need to swim in the Arctic Ocean?

When are you planing to go? Sometime later this week is likely a very different proposition than "some time in late June".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
Check "Keep Your Daydream" on You Tube under Alaska RV - they cover the entire trip in several sections including a half hour on their experience with the Alaska Highway - not as bad as they feared. 4-5 years ago I think.
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
2008 and 2018. The roads are actually just fine. Your rig will get very dirty. Glacial till and water make a good coating. It may get some scarring from fine gravel. Sometimes there is a cracked windshield from gravel thrown by trucks passing you. We went on caravans. About 34 plus rigs each trip. There were a number of flat tires. For some reason a few people seem to get flats over and over again. More on the TV's than the trailers. A couple of axle failures. A few cracked or broken windshields, mostly on motorhomes. One trailer totaled by a moose. You want Rock Tamers and the rock guards and gravel shields on the trailer. I covered the fresh water drain and put slit hose over the copper gas lines.

Loved both trips. It is a lot of driving. Almost all of it is low speed driving on 2 lane roads with bumps in the pavement. Top of the world highway is still a pretty long gravel road but well graded and graveled.

We did not do the "extra" high risk roads towards the Arctic circle.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I did the trip in 2017. Roads (AlCan) are paved all the way up and within Alaska. Some side roads in the Yukon aren't. That said the few months of the summer is all the construction crews have to repair the roads. So we ran into many places where they had removed the pavement and were temporarily on gravel prior to repaving, there can be miles and miles of this. This means your truck and trailer will turn a very dirty brown. It becomes almost pointless to wash them until Anchorage.

BTW, the permafrost heaves are a bitch. Sort of like big speed bumps, and they aren't obvious until you're almost on top of them. They can go on for miles. Hit them too fast and loss of control is a real possibility.

All in all, don't budget 60 mph days. Construction delays can be very long waiting for the flagmen to let you through and the permafrost sections force slow driving. I did get a cracked front windshield on my truck, no flats though. The stainless steel guards on the trailer got pretty well dented on the bottom foot or so. I did install large mudflaps on the truck that hang almost to the pavement.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:29 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Awesome. Is on my bucket list.
civeng99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:06 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We did the Airstream Club Alaska Caravan in 2018. It was a fantastic two months of travel. The roads, for the most part, were very good. There were sections of repair which were sometimes miles long. The saying in Alaska is that there are only two seasons, winter and road construction.

If you take the side trip from Dawson City to Chicken the road is not paved and can be rough. The views from the "top of the word highway are fantastic, but your rig will take a beating.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
A must have is the latest copy of The Milepost, which is the Bible for traveling to Alaska or Canada. The best month to be in Alaska is August. Before that, bugs are terrible, after that, iffy weather. I also suggest you drive up the AlCan to Alaska, but take the ferry back from Haynes to Prince Rupert then drive down the Okanogan Valley into Washington state, beautiful drive. Make sure you are running E rated TV tires and I personally run 16" E rated LT Michelins on my 30' Classic and never had a problem.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #9
Retired paddler

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	4CE18176-A690-48ED-B362-1EE6E109AEA2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	411170

Click image for larger version

Name:	B363869A-FA75-449D-97E8-CA41F62BD1F7.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	411171
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Looking to take a trip up the West coast to Alaska.
Agree with the post on Rock Tamers. This was after the Alaska and Klondike highways to Dawson City, Yukon. Be prepared for massive grit in and around everything. Have done the journey 3 times. Have replaced 3 windshields on the TV and one window rock cover on the AS.
4mer Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:06 AM   #10

1963 22' Safari
nevada , Iowa
Get yourself a copy of "The Milepost"
brickplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:15 AM   #11

1963 22' Safari
nevada , Iowa
I've done the trip 35 times since 77 It's about 3200 miles to anchorage from Minneapolis. in 10 days that's 300+ miles a day.
I plan on 300 miles of construction at 20mph average. You'll save breakdowns verse going faster,

The road is smoother in the winter.. But it gets 50 below and windows are hard to keep clean. I drove 900 miles one period and never saw a moving vehicle in 1993
brickplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Looking at the same sort of thing.

There are a lot of roads and a lot of routes you could take. Which way / where do you plan to go? Do you feel the need to swim in the Arctic Ocean?

When are you planing to go? Sometime later this week is likely a very different proposition than "some time in late June".

Bob
p

Probably Late May early June
Old 01-29-2022, 10:46 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
Maryville , Tennessee
Earljones4589

I have made 3 trips to Alaska with a 29 or 30 Classic. I was on the 2018 Caravan along with azflycatcher and agree. I also went in 2005 and 2012 on our own. The roads are much improved over time. Suggestions: Take your time. The drive is awesome. Be prepared to boondocks if in July and August. Thatís when the caravans are traveling and taking up RV parks. Mid June to mid July is nice. When in areas where there is loose gravel and/or construction, slow down and pull to the side where able when meeting oncoming traffic. On the Top of the World Highway (misnomer) if rainy the road can be rough. If dry, really dusty. Tape up access door seams with wide tape. Repack wheel bearings as required, new tires on TV and camper, have TPMS and TV fully checked out and serviced. Either lucky or whatever, no broken windshield. One Classic rock guard cracked and no flats.
earljones458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
We were on the 2016 Airstream Club Caravan. It mostly followed the AlCan but detoured through Dawson City, Yukon Territory and on to Delta Junction using the Top of the World Highway. We got to drive the Top of the World from Chicken to the AlCan after a heavy rain and before it was regraded--65 miles of water filled potholes so there was no telling how deep they were. WHAM!! Otherwise, the roads in Alaska were excellent and potholes or not I would not change the route we followed.

The Canadians pave with Mcadam up there which, they say, has a life of about three years so some part of it will be under construction--20 km sections of mud and potholes.

As has been mentioned Rock Tamers are required. I put Michelin LT265/60R20s on my TV and Michelin LT 225/75R16s on the AS before we left and had no tire problems. The only damage we had was a rock ding at the bottom of the street-side rock guard. I did a number of other things from a "bug screen" stout enough to stop rocks to wrapping the exposed copper gas line with pipe insulation. All good things to do but I doubt I needed any of it. But don't leave home without Rock Tamers.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
2019 trip

In 2019 the road from the border to Tok was awful. Most other roads were tolerable. Fortunately or unfortunately there aren’t that many roads in Alaska.

The Cassiar Highway had been recently paved but was narrow and busy with big trucks.

The good news is that throughout Canada and Alaska the frost heaves are well marked with orange flags. Watch carefully and slow to 20-30 mph to keep from breaking the boat. Sometimes there are three bumps in a row, but only the start is marked.

No road was very good, except for the last 10 miles of the Top of the World highway just before entering Canada. That was brand new (in an attempt to make you think Alaskan roads really weren’t that bad as you enter Canada on dirt!).

The worst spot was north of Valdez where they were replacing a bridge. The only way through was down a steep hill in deepening ruts and then up the same on the other side. I was pulling a SOB with extra high clearance and was sure I would drag the backend, but it cleared just barely. My Airstream definitely would have bottomed out. A lift would be good to have if you’re planning on staying in state/provincial parks with more primitive sites. Be prepared to drop your trailer while you investigate questionable roads.

We travelled from Seattle on May 23, up the Frazier River to Fort Nelson, then the ALCAN all the way to Tok. On the way back we turned south to pick up the Cassiar. Return was via Calgary. Arrived back in Arizona August 1. Lots of wildlife to start. Very little on the return.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:15 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
People, it is NOT the Alcan, it is the Alaska Highway. If you want to insult a local Canadian, use the term. It has been known for decades as the ALASKA HIGHWAY.

I lived for years in Alaska and traveled the highway numerous times (as Alaskans and local Canadians know it) and really hate the ignorant tourists who used the WWII term. Canadians will tell you they are not anyone's can. Honestly, they should name the highway the CanadianAlaska Highway.

If you want to take a truly unique trip, leave the Alaska Highway and take the Dempster Highway to Innuvik and Tuktoyaktuk, NWT. You take the highway and ferries across rivers. Tukoyaktuk is on the Arctic Ocean. The Dempster is much safer than taking the Dalton (Prudhoe) highway. No high speed big rigs throwing rocks at you and last I heard it is completely paved (been a while since I drove up to Innuvik). Any one out there ever made that trip?
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:49 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Torrance , California
Just interested....Thanks
1970 Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:00 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
p

Probably Late May early June
Hi

Our plan right now is to get there end of May and head back start of September. We'll see how that works out.

Bob
Old 01-30-2022, 10:30 AM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We took Lucy (our 25FB) from Florida to Alaska and back in the summer of 2019. We were on the road for 93 days. We went just about everywhere in Alaska that you can go in a truck.

Lucy's entire trip is chronicled in a thread here on AirForums titled, "Lucy is on the road to Alaska". (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ka-196679.html).

There is a post with pictures for every day on the road. This should give you a pretty good idea of a real trip to Alaska. The read will take some time as there are 495 posts to the thread, but it should be worth the effort. You will get to see about 500 pictures from the actual trip.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We took Lucy (our 25FB) from Florida to Alaska and back in the summer of 2019. We were on the road for 93 days. We went just about everywhere in Alaska that you can go in a truck.

Lucy's entire trip is chronicled in a thread here on AirForums titled, "Lucy is on the road to Alaska". (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ka-196679.html).

There is a post with pictures for every day on the road. This should give you a pretty good idea of a real trip to Alaska. The read will take some time as there are 495 posts to the thread, but it should be worth the effort. You will get to see about 500 pictures from the actual trip.

Brian
Hi

That was quite a read ....

Thanks for posting it all.

Bob