Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Have you ever been on a caravan?

We have never been on a caravan. I think it might be fun. Have you been on a caravan? Where did you go and how long was it? What was it like? I have not seen nearly enough of people's experiences and mostly just about the itinerary and tours and stops. What I want to know is what it's really like traveling that way and the group experience. What were your impressions your joys and your surprises? It must be entirely different than any other trip one might plan on their own. Do tell, please.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We haven't been one a caravan either, and would also like to hear about them. We have been a little reluctant to try a caravan as we are not big "group" people.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A caravan requires many days, since my wife and I are still working it is not an option at this time. We will be part of a mini caravan across northern Arizona into New Mexico next month on our way to the 4CU Balloon Fiesta Rally. The return trip may be the same....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patch.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	45378  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
we have been on several. The first, and best, was the Michigan lighthiouse tour. I would recommend it to anyone. We saw lighthouses that you can't see on your own. Not too regimeted. The fly/drive Alaska was also good.

pm with a phone number and I will call with more information.

Jim Mickle
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Carol,
I went on one. It was a short and I joined in mid caravan. The folks were nice but the schedule as well not much fun. Everything was planned. not much time for just realxing and doing whatever. I would consider going on one of those non-airstream caravans. I have a magazine arond here somwher with caravans all ove the place.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Lightbulb Caravans without the expense

I see the WBCCI has organized caravans all the time and they are quite expensive when you consider all the other costs associated with RV'ing. But are there any caravans where people just get together and travel at their own cost to a rally or rendevous somewhere for a week or two? If there are such things I would be interesten in them. Anyone else?
Santart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Try a Unit Caravan

We've been on two New England Unit Caravans in the past two years and are already signed up for the NEU Nova Scotia / Prince Edward Island Caravan planned for next year. The first two were a total BLAST! I'm sure the third will be just as fun.

NEU Caravans are laid back compared to what I have read about National Caravans. We paid our own way on the first two Caravans, unsure how our Caravan Leaders will handle the PEI trip. I know they want to have it be a WBCCI numbered Caravan so we may need to do some things a bit different.

Oh, most folks who travel in an NEU Caravan are still working, so the longest Caravan (held in recent years anyway) was just over two weeks.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
1992 29' Excella
1976 25' Tradewind
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/2slides
Anacortes , Washington
Been there. Loved that!

We've been on several WBCCI National Caravans. They have ranged from "Spectacular" to "Boy, were we ripped off".

The difference seems to be in the Caravan Leader. Some leaders are very laid back and allow you time and freedom to explore on your own. They are the ones who do their best to see that everyone on the caravan has a great time. They foster a sense of fun, excitement and adventure.

Other leaders, give you a "My way or the highway" attitude. Those caravans are not as much fun. You need to do your homework and speak to others who have been on the caravan or been on a different caravan with that Leader. Also, if it's a long caravan (over 21 days), ask if there is a financial audit during the caravan and if you will be given a refund, if for some unforeseen reason, you need to leave the caravan early or a skip an event. Some Leader's do not make refunds for any reason, nor do they give a financial accounting! Stay away from those.

FYI - you do not travel down the road in a long string of Airstreams. It's up to you whether you want to travel with one or two other Caravanners. You set that up on your own. Occaisionally, the Leader may ask a seasoned Caravanner to take a "newbie" or an elderly Caravanner or single, "under your wing" and travel with them for a particular leg of the trip. And generally, you do not travel everyday.

The WBCCI caravans tend to be a bit longer than the commercial caravans, but they are cheaper because there is no paid staff. The caravan leaders expenses are included in the "Kitty Fee", but so is all your camping fees and tours and many meals and activites. Sometimes there are optional tours or activities (hot air balloon rides, helicopter rides, canoe trips, etc.).

For the money most are really great. You go to places you never would on your own and meet interesting people from all over the world. We've eaten crawfish and boudin, and learned the Cajun two-step. We've been to a bar to hear live music at 10 AM. We've learned about the US Lifesaving Service and been to a religious festival in a pueblo in New Mexico and invited to a banquet in a private home. We've been to a Smokejumpers' camp and learned about the valiant and dangerous work they do. The adventures we've had! The oyster roasts. The train trips. The music and laughter. Oh, the wonderful and wonderous things we've seen and the stories we can tell. And the people we've met and friendships that have been forged. Do it! Do it, if you possibly can. You'll never regret it.

Carol & Art Hall
WBCCI #12461
wnew1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
There are tour companies that do a good job with rv caravans. We have not been on one but we know someone who just loves Creative World Tours and has used them several times.

Another less expensive option is to think of a few places you would like to see and post a thread here on the forums asking if others want to go along. You could be flexible with your ideas and let your other caravan friends share their ideas. I've seen threads like that before and it seems like it would be lots of fun.