Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Hauling Bicycles

I am certain that this topic has been addressed before, but my searches bring up nothing.

So, how do you experienced AS’ers haul bicycles on your journeys?

Have 28’ Excella (1989) and a Ford F-150 Eco for the tug.
My hard tonneau and full bed rules out the PU bed. Nowhere for a rack on the truck rear-end. (Have Hensley hitch)

Not sure I like the truck front hitch idea, but may not have any other options.

Options?

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We went round and round on this problem and finally settled on folding bikes. Ours are from Tern (REI sells them.)https://www.rei.com/b/tern/c/bikes?r=b%3Bc&origin=web&ir=brand%3Atern%3Bcategor y%3Abikes&page=1

We aren’t hard core cyclists but for relatively level ground and trips under 20 miles a day these things are pretty amazing. Two of them fit in the back of our Supercrew F150. They could also go in the bed.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
I am certain that this topic has been addressed before, but my searches bring up nothing.

So, how do you experienced AS’ers haul bicycles on your journeys?

Have 28’ Excella (1989) and a Ford F-150 Eco for the tug.
My hard tonneau and full bed rules out the PU bed. Nowhere for a rack on the truck rear-end. (Have Hensley hitch)

Not sure I like the truck front hitch idea, but may not have any other options.

Options?
Been in your shoes...same set up earlier with 2 of our 25'AS's....Fiama is what we use installed by AS...expensive but gets the job done with the AS.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Yes, there have been several threads on this topic (often an "issue"!) We take two of our bikes all of the time and had a Fiamma installed when we purchased our Bambi. (From Adventures NW there in OC/Gladstone). It is not ideal but in retrospect I wouldn't get anything else.
Reservations:
- It blocks good access to the rear storage compartment
- It limits access to the emergency exit through the Bambi's rear window.
- It screens the License Plate (not a real concern of mine but maybe for others)
- The bikes "just" fit (we have two sets: mtn bikes and hybrids) and the bottom
"gutters" which the tires fit into are marginally long/wide enough, it would be
much better if they were 2" wider!
But
- The bikes are quite secure (though I had to tweak the strut which holds the
rear bike - easy fix)
- the Fiamma is approved by AS and other racks may jeopardize guarantees etc -
- there is another thread going on right now about the weight/balance issue on the
whole trailer...but for us it is a nonissue. In my mind there is marginal weight
to the rear and I have never had any towing complications.

FYI - the Fiamma's design limits most any dust/rain/security cover. We don't tarp the
bikes or worry about them (and going down I-5 in the winter can make things pretty messy). We also lock the bikes in place while in camp - perhaps not the most secure but it works for us.
is" - the
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by frjeff View Post
. . .
Are you using the new Google-powered search in the blue box above, to search only within Airforums.com? It works great IMO.

"Bicycle racks" : https://www.google.com/search?q=bike...=airforums.com
"Fiamma bike rack" : https://www.google.com/search?q=Fiam...=airforums.com

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f477...de-185802.html

What the AS approved rack blocks varies with model.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
We carry ours inside the trailer. We remove the front wheels (quick release hubs), put the front fork of one in the ~6" gap between the dinette seat and galley with the handle bars turned, which wedges it in fairly tight. Then bungee the frame to the dinette leg, and bungee the other frame to the first one. I use cardboard between everything to keep from rubbing and it works great. They don't move at all.

Your layout will dictate, obviously. But this may give you some ideas.

Happy trails,
Mike
marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I wouldn’t rule out a bike rack on your tonneau cover. I have a retrax rollup cover. I’m going to look at adding tracks on the top of the cover (along the section that rests on the top of the truck sides). You can then add feet and crossbars, and use your preferred bike mount. Rhino racks makes a reasonable kit, and Thule and Yakima do too. It won’t interfere with your cover and you can remove the crossbars and feet quickly to use your truck bed.

https://www.racknroad.com/product/th...ith-bolts.html
Old 08-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Here is our current state of confusion on the matter: new to AS, just four months. Had a brain fart and bought two ebikes, weighing 50#s each, without the battery installed - which is fine because they will be in the TV charging between stops. The Fiamma rack on the AS (used, came with the coach) has a weight limit of 75#. The bikes are PERFECT for us and get us out and about much more often, so we are inflexible. We have two folding bikes that we used to haul in the airplane - worked OK but we never use them because...

So - installed the Saris bike rack that was part of the bike deal on the front of the F350. The rack is slick in terms of load and unload speed, and integrated cable locks. Easy. Plastic grocery bags and rubber bands easily cover the seats and handlebars. But after this last trip outbound, mama is very unhappy with the "view" of bike parts, and the fact that they move some when the road does. Inbound trip, we put her bike on the Fiamma and left mine up front. Observed the Fiamma thu the b/u camera while underway - solid. Wish it would hold both.

Now - the bike rack is consigned to the around-town rig and will continue to serve well. Small, stout generator mount for the Champion 3400 is on its way here, and will have Alaska Tent and Tarp make a cover for it to ride up front on the receiver hitch mounted to the front of the truck. My bike will "live" under the roll-up bed cover. These bikes do not have exposed gears, so laying sideways doesn't ruin the tune. Mama's bike owns the Fiamma.

We will see how this works. Still learning.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we had the same set up on our F250. We bought a bike rack from thule. with the adjustable arms it sat on the bumper, the top arm rested on the cover. the attachment points went inside the tail gate and hooked on the bottom of the truck bed and on the outside down to the bumper. the nice thing is you can also raise the arms that hold the bikes to get as much clearance from the hitch crank as you want.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #11
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Any Model Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyV View Post
we had the same set up on our F250. We bought a bike rack from thule. with the adjustable arms it sat on the bumper, the top arm rested on the cover. the attachment points went inside the tail gate and hooked on the bottom of the truck bed and on the outside down to the bumper. the nice thing is you can also raise the arms that hold the bikes to get as much clearance from the hitch crank as you want.
Curious as to your model/system. Do you have any model info or pics of your setup?

Thanks

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
Old 08-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2019 27' Globetrotter
2017 25' International
Chicago , Illinois
How about a DO NOT USE to add to the tips:

I had a rear hitch installed for the purpose of using the Thule bike rack (This was done AT Woodland Travel Center as well as the rack bought there - and I reported this back to them to try to keep others from making this mistake... or them selling it to them).

HORRIBLE!

I would not recommend this to anyone! I didn't go with the Fiamma for all of the aesthetic reasons that people point out, but there is DEFINITELY a reason that they are the best for the Airstream.

My Globetrotter will get a Fiamma installed, no questions asked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	320538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	320539  

WBCCI #31337
StreamingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
We have tried traveling with the bikes inside the Airstream and it worked ok, but they did block walking through the Airstream if we needed to get anything inside the trailer. We have found mounting them on our truck cover works well for us.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4E8038C5-C798-4FAB-91E7-45232920449C.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	320557   Click image for larger version

Name:	3E50EEFA-AEF0-4C3C-9969-CFB201AB234A.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	665.9 KB
ID:	320558  

DBSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSteed View Post
We have tried traveling with the bikes inside the Airstream and it worked ok, but they did block walking through the Airstream if we needed to get anything inside the trailer. We have found mounting them on our truck cover works well for us.

Wow! I believe that would do the job for us.

What brand/model is that front fork locking system in your pics??

Thank you

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
Old 08-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I use a Racor PBS-2R Two-Bike Floor Stand inside the trailer. It cost about $35. No disassembly of bikes required. I use a couple bungees to keep it from moving while in transit.

Once I am parked, I use it outside to secure bikes with a cable type bike lock.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Racor-2-...S-2R/100464810
Old 08-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
We have two ebikes. They weigh around 50 lbs each, with the batteries. They spend summers in the Pacific NW, and winters in Palm Desert. In the fall I will take them down to the desert in the tow rig, under the sheil that covers the back. Doing this means I have to remove the front wheels, and use straps to strap them upright and tight to the sides of the truck. It's a pain, but it works well. Late spring, same deal to bring them back. I also have a Yakima rack that attaches to a two inch reciever and is rated for the weights of the ebikes. I use this obviously without the trailer. It's a good rack and I recomend it. It would work well for a front hitch too. It's called the Yakima Holdup.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
My husband used a lockable bike hitch that he had previously used in the bed of the truck. He welded them to a bar then attached the bar to the truck. We have not had any problems transporting the bikes. We can still let the tailgate down and the Back Flip 2 cover can hold up to 500 lbs.

This is not exactly like the one on our truck, but they would work. https://www.rei.com/product/686205/d...CABEgLqXPD_BwE
DBSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #18
Bentley

2017 23' Flying Cloud
St. Louis , Missouri
Hate the price love the rake. Airstream Fiamma
3.5 V6 Ecoboost 10-speed
pfcardwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
Here is our current state of confusion on the matter: new to AS, just four months. Had a brain fart and bought two ebikes, weighing 50#s each, without the battery installed - which is fine because they will be in the TV charging between stops. The Fiamma rack on the AS (used, came with the coach) has a weight limit of 75#. The bikes are PERFECT for us and get us out and about much more often, so we are inflexible. We have two folding bikes that we used to haul in the airplane - worked OK but we never use them because...

So - installed the Saris bike rack that was part of the bike deal on the front of the F350. The rack is slick in terms of load and unload speed, and integrated cable locks. Easy. Plastic grocery bags and rubber bands easily cover the seats and handlebars. But after this last trip outbound, mama is very unhappy with the "view" of bike parts, and the fact that they move some when the road does. Inbound trip, we put her bike on the Fiamma and left mine up front. Observed the Fiamma thu the b/u camera while underway - solid. Wish it would hold both.

Now - the bike rack is consigned to the around-town rig and will continue to serve well. Small, stout generator mount for the Champion 3400 is on its way here, and will have Alaska Tent and Tarp make a cover for it to ride up front on the receiver hitch mounted to the front of the truck. My bike will "live" under the roll-up bed cover. These bikes do not have exposed gears, so laying sideways doesn't ruin the tune. Mama's bike owns the Fiamma.

We will see how this works. Still learning.

My e-bike (RAD) rides beautifully in a 1-UP rack mounted to Rhino Aero Bars mounted on my Undercover Tonneau. Battery removed, I can lift it - but an extra set of hands is nice. The air suspension on my RAM 1500 helps by lowering to entry/exit level.

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	320736
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
My e-bike (RAD) rides beautifully in a 1-UP rack mounted to Rhino Aero Bars...

Can you post a closeup of where you mounted the feet of the rack to your tonneau cover?