Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2023, 12:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Harvest Host positive review.

I think that with all the negative inputs we hear, its about time we give praise where praise is due. I will tell you that I have a pleasant experience with Harvest Host. Regarding a cancellation. From the website to giving a follow up call directly by phone. Kudos!!!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
My experience with Harvest Hosts has been very positive. I have no complaints.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We like HH and use them as often as is feasible. No complaints either.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
I have never had an issue with any HH we have stayed at. Our expectation is a relatively flat spot to park The Toaster on. Anything after that is a bonus.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
I think that with all the negative inputs we hear, its about time we give praise where praise is due. I will tell you that I have a pleasant experience with Harvest Host. Regarding a cancellation. From the website to giving a follow up call directly by phone. Kudos!!!
Great to hear. Wouldn’t our world be so much more pleasant if we’d post the positives and not so much of the negatives. Not just here but everywhere.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
They are great, and many interesting hosts as well.

So I’ll ask…..what is the most unique HH location where you have stayed? For us, Harv’s Harley Davidson in NY.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Lovin’ Harvest Hosts!

We love the HH program and use the hosts whenever possible.

Especially with the new Boondockers option.

Only once had a so-so visit, and that was because of the weather and not the Host!
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
May I ask a question?
I've been a HH member for years and never used one. This year will be different. I understand you're 'sort of' expected to buy something.
I also understand the HH rates YOU. How many of you always buy something? Be it wine, a round of golf, a farm sausage?
I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but how much pressure is there to buy? (I probably wouldn't buy a bottle of wine, not being a wine drinker.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:14 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
In our experience, there has been zero pressure from the hosts for us to buy something. Most visits, there is something obvious to purchase (farm eggs, cheese, museum admission). If staying at a vineyard and you don't drink wine, definitely don't buy it...there may be other offerings. HH is a great program; once you stay at one, you'll be back shortly.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
The buying component is why we have never used it. I’m all for supporting local but I tell my wife, “how much honey do we need?” For example. There may be a ton of people making honey — the simple answer is then don’t stay there but you’re paying for the overnight convenience option and now I need to bypass the easy option because I don’t need more honey?

So we sadly pass on it. May sign up if we find ourselves traveling with a group with it so we can see how they utilize it though. Sounds like a great option in general.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
We’ve only stayed at wineries so far. We always go into the shop and buy a bottle of wine to enjoy. Many wineries have a patio where you can enjoy a glass or two of wine with some nice appetizers or snacks. We find it to be a nice way to unwind after a day on the road. I haven’t stayed at a HH winery that offered wine that I would add to my cellar, but it has been fine for a glass after a day on the road.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #12
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Love Harvest Host. Most unusual (so far) was the Potato Museum in Blackfoot, Idaho. Huge flat parking lot, fun tour in the morning. Best so far has been Pivot Distillery in Saskatchewan province in Canada. Great tasting room, friendly hosts, huge field to park. Honorable mention is the Air Museum in Minot, North Dakota. What a great way to camp and see and experience the road less traveled.
Oh, and the other "best " one. The Tallahassee Auto Museum. Wonderful parking, huge museum, a must see.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:05 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Windham , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
May I ask a question?
I've been a HH member for years and never used one. This year will be different. I understand you're 'sort of' expected to buy something.
I also understand the HH rates YOU. How many of you always buy something? Be it wine, a round of golf, a farm sausage?
I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but how much pressure is there to buy? (I probably wouldn't buy a bottle of wine, not being a wine drinker.)
We use HH when practical and we've not experienced any pressure to buy anything. We do spend a little money and/or donate to the host's charity (there is place we stay that suggests a donation to a local food bank).
Dodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:14 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
No Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
May I ask a question?
You need to spend $20.00. If there is not anything we like, we just give them a $20.00 bill. Usually goes right into the owners pocket. I have never felt any pressure because I take care of the payment right up front. There are many alcohol free HH options. Most of these places are so small the owner meets you, as you are pulling in.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:56 AM   #15
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Two HH stays on our last trip. Both were very nice. We bought a dozen eggs at the first one ($5) and a bottle of wine and a pizza at the second one. Both were good. We are going to eat and buy a bottle of wine anyway.
I’d much rather be parked in a nice quiet place, than in a Walmart lot, or a crowded RV lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7DDEC698-660D-4B98-98FF-73FC10BB1FD1.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	428846  

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:14 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
HH is a great concept. However we did not renew our membership this year. When the HH overnight is integral to your travel plans, and the host cancels at the last minute, you're left scrambling to find an alternative overnight which means greater cost than was budgeted for or a longer travel day that wasn't planned for. Of our five HH reservations last year, this happened at three of them. Two of the cancellations happened the day before we were scheduled to arrive and the third happened while actually en route to the rural location. None of them resulted in a phone call, just an email notification of the cancellation. The other two where we stayed were brew pubs. The first one advertised itself as, "a small local brewery situated in a rural location with plenty of room to stretch out and enjoy the night sky." We arrived and had to park in the street since it was "B*tches and Bikes Night" and the parking lot was filled with bikes and the pub was slammed with leather clad bikers trying to out drink each other. After closing time at 1:00am, we were lulled to blissful sleep to the sound of straight-piped V-twins racing up and down the road for the next hour or so. The second location, also a pub advertised room for one trailer and absolutely no arrivals before 4:00pm since the parking lot is shared with other small businesses. No problem. I arrived at 4:00pm on the dot and there was already a triple-axle toy hauler in the spot. Slides out, awning deployed, camp chair set up and a slightly inebriated driver. I asked him when he arrived and he said he got there around noon and the pub owner said, "no problem, go ahead park it." I went in to talk to the pub owner and he said, "yea, I'm only technically allowed to have one camper overnight due to city ordinance, but I know all the cops so you'll be fine, just squeeze in there beside him." So I had that going for me. I "squeezed in" best I could to give the other guy some room, but sure enough, at 0400 the toy hauler wanted to leave and couldn't make the turn out of the parking lot without me moving. What a cluster****.

Granted, of the thousands of HH locations, my decision to not renew was based on these five instances. Should I give them another chance, I mean it's only a hundred bucks or so, right? The three cancellations alone resulted in us spending far more in last minute one-night stays at RV parks than the annual HH membership fee. So no, I'm not renewing because I'm not in the habit of throwing money away for something I already paid for and, besides, we prefer something a little more reliable

But I am glad people are using them and having a good time and restful, inexpensive, sleep at interesting locations. Like I said at the outset, it is a good concept, but everyone that agrees to be a Host has to understand what they are signing up for and its not just to sell one additional bottle of wine. The Hosts are representatives of the HH brand, if they (and by 'they', I mean the Hosts we interacted with) acted like brand ambassadors or independent franchisee's of HH, the concept would be more professional and less shady.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Wow, Escape Plan, it sounds like you had a run of bad luck. Definitely post reviews on the Harvest Host website detailing your troubles with the various hosts to warn others.

We've maybe stayed at around a dozen HH places and all were as expected or better. Wineries tend to have the prettiest parking locations.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:27 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Rock Hill , South Carolina
We joined probably 8 years ago and purchased a ‘lifetime’ membership after our 1st stay. Unfortunately, w/all the added perks, the lifetime is no longer offered but we were grandfathered in.
We’ve stayed at really great locations, from rural, to suburban to cities. We’ve never had a cancellation but have needed to cancel stays because of change of route/plans/emergency. I really like being able to book most online now w/o having to call the owners or wait for their response.
We did loose a couple of years due to Covid. We’ve stayed at wineries, breweries, farms, museums, an RV parts store, great locations, all. We’ve met up w/full timers, single travelers, families (occasionally), dog friendly rv’ers, had great meals, seen museums where we would not have otherwise.
It’s been nothing but a great experience for us.
rastapoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastapoodle View Post
We joined probably 8 years ago and purchased a ‘lifetime’ membership after our 1st stay. Unfortunately, w/all the added perks, the lifetime is no longer offered but we were grandfathered in.
We’ve stayed at really great locations, from rural, to suburban to cities. We’ve never had a cancellation but have needed to cancel stays because of change of route/plans/emergency. I really like being able to book most online now w/o having to call the owners or wait for their response.
We did loose a couple of years due to Covid. We’ve stayed at wineries, breweries, farms, museums, an RV parts store, great locations, all. We’ve met up w/full timers, single travelers, families (occasionally), dog friendly rv’ers, had great meals, seen museums where we would not have otherwise.
It’s been nothing but a great experience for us.
Us too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:25 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Wow, Escape Plan, it sounds like you had a run of bad luck. Definitely post reviews on the Harvest Host website detailing your troubles with the various hosts to warn others.

We've maybe stayed at around a dozen HH places and all were as expected or better. Wineries tend to have the prettiest parking locations.
I know, most people probably will never have this string of frustrating events so close together. Like I said, I believe their business model is sound, and it works out for thousands of people each year ( each day technically). I'm not mad, just frustrated that we had such a string of issues right out of the gate. Our experience is probably not the norm, but it did leave an indelible imprint. Also, I did capture all this in an email sent to HH naming the locations that kinda left us out to dry. The response was less than what I thought would be appropriate, so I decided to vote with. my wallet and not renew.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote