Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Harvest Host No Show Policy

Just received this info from HH. It appears as though they are taking action to try to curb the no show issue. Pretty harsh action I think but most likely needed!

New Policy Announcment
Hello Robert,

The busy summer travel season is among us and we know many of you are out there on the road having great RV adventures. We understand that things happen while traveling and you cannot always make it to your next destination, after all expecting the unexpected is part of RV life. However, calling your Host or canceling through the Request-A-Stay system is expected of all of our Members.

We have implemented a Harvest Hosts No-Show Policy, and it is very important that you adhere to it. Please see the details below.
No-Show Policy:
The first, and subsequent no-shows, will result in an automatic 1-star member review for that stay.

The second no-show will result in a follow-up from a Harvest Hosts member success representative to ensure you are well and nothing is preventing you from keeping your scheduled stays.

The third no-show will result in a membership suspension for up to one year. No refunds will be provided.
Additionally, please note that members are not permitted to request stays at multiple locations for the same night. If we discover a member who breaks this rule, we will revoke their membership.
Our Hosts work hard to ensure that all Harvest Hosts Members have a great experience at their location. Hosts do many things to prepare for a Members' arrival, such as clearing the parking space, communicating with Members, ensuring that the business is properly staffed, and much more. When a space is held for you and you don't show up, that means another Member missed out on an opportunity to stay and the Host lost potential business.

We want to make sure that our program provides a great experience for both our Members and our Hosts. Our Hosts truly care about our Members' experience so let's ensure that Members also show their appreciation for our Hosts by canceling their stay as soon as they know they will not make it. A simple phone call or button push will help make this program great for all.

As always, thank you for being a Member. Have a great summer full of RV travel and fun!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I am fine with their new policy. I am a former Reservations Manager for a very upscale hotel company. We had a very strict no show policy. It kept our rooms full and weeded out the folks who were not serious. It's only considerate that we cancel our reservations instead of being "no shows" when using Harvest Host. The price is right and it's only fair to think of the hosts and of other people who may want to be there as well.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I am fine with their new policy. I am a former Reservations Manager for a very upscale hotel company. We had a very strict no show policy. It kept our rooms full and weeded out the folks who were not serious. It's only considerate that we cancel our reservations instead of being "no shows" when using Harvest Host. The price is right and it's only fair to think of the hosts and of other people who may want to be there as well.
Me too. Not to mention, cancelling "should" be common courtesy....but, I guess if it were common, there would be no need for the policy.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

London , California
I'm good with the policy too...

The Hosts could very well be waiting for your arrival to set you up where they want you...

And you don't show up?.. Not fair, and not cool...

I hope this change provides some leverage for the 'Flakers'...
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
That's a very reasonable policy. We have no issue with that.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Having not used (but paid for) Harvest Hosts for the past year, I was surprised to see the changes that they have made. The reservation system is the biggest change and because there is no financial commitment, people appear to be abusing it. Several of the places I looked at were booked solid on most weekends.

Looking at possible sites, I now see that some of the facilities are now charging a fee for parking and a few golf courses are requiring a round of golf for an overnight stay. If you arrive in the late afternoon and plan to hit the road early, when do you have time for a 3 to 4 hour round of golf?

Harvest Hosts model was places you could spend a night while you travel. You would give the host a call and arrange stopping that night. Enjoy your evening and support the host with a purchase or two then continue your travels the next morning.

I am not sure I will be renewing...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Fairly reasonable "consequences" for misbehaving IMO.

How about some "rewards" for proactively doing the right thing, like cancelling a week in advance? You know, some "points" or other perks. Nor sure about their system, but rewards often result in better [and enduring] behavior IMO.

https://www.therapistaid.com/workshe...unishments.pdf

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Lots of changes coming for Harvest Hosts I think.

https://www.rvtravel.com/harvest-hos...join-forces-2/

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Interesting how things change. There was a time when HH locations were excited to have anyone stay the night, to now get upset when they fail to show-up without letting them know. My guess, with campgrounds being full, HH is getting the overflow, it's just a matter of time before Bondockers Welcome has the same problem. These different ideas are great until they are flooded with users and a few bad apples spoil the bunch.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Interesting how things change. There was a time when HH locations were excited to have anyone stay the night, to now get upset when they fail to show-up without letting them know. My guess, with campgrounds being full, HH is getting the overflow, it's just a matter of time before Bondockers Welcome has the same problem. These different ideas are great until they are flooded with users and a few bad apples spoil the bunch.
It's not people staying the night which is the problem - it's the people who have a reservation for one of few spots at a location and then don't show up. Not only does this deprive other members of making use of the spot, it deprives the hosts of whatever income they would have received when the campers visited their business. Now that there are more people wanting spots than there are spots, this is going to be the new normal.

1994 Excella 25 Follow the build on Gertie!
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
I suspect it's the paying members complaining that the nice places are "all booked up" combined with the no-shows... HH wants to keep paying members paying, and one way to help with that is to weed out deadbeats.

A friend of mine was pretty flagrant about making restaurant reservations and no-showing with OpenTable. He thought I was silly when I would make a point to cancel a reservation we couldn't make, or if/when he decided he wasn't in the mood for the place I'd reserved. At one point OpenTable blocked him from making new reservations for a while because of his number of no-shows and he realized there was value in cancelling once you know you're not going to make it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

I fully agree, that people should let the business owner know they will not be showing up (that was not my point). My point is this, when HH first started, you could often show up during business hours after a few hours of travel on the road, ask the business owner to park for a night, buy a bottle of wine and all was good. Now, after so many years, growth in the HH business, people are now having to reserve a spot, get dinged if they don't cancel a "reservation" , etc.. My point again, Things are very different than they were years ago when they first started out.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Of course they're different now.

HH need the rules to be updated because people are inconsiderate. This isn't a Campground or hotel that is open anyway whether you show up or not.

These are people who are expecting guests. You clean up extra. You have provisions on hand. You wait for their arrival. You may forgo your own plans for the evening as you wait.

It's common courtesy. Unless you're incapacitated you cancel.

So many of these thread's are about common courtesy that are falling by the wayside. Most decisions affect more than just ourselves.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
It’s a shame that HH has to put a policy in place to ensure folks are considerate. If you aren’t going to show up then make a call and let them know. We’ve only had to cancel one HH reservation, I called to let them know we would not be there. I have no problem with this new policy.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
I have no issues with the policy. We’re traveling full time and the no shows everywhere don’t help the full campground issue. We were at two NP campgrounds over the last month that were fully booked including some prime sites that sat empty for days.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The new "no show" policy seems kind of weak to me. I know people who make multiple reservations based on how far they "might" travel on a given day. They sometimes call the ones they are not using on the day of the reservation with a sorry, we had a flat tire excuse. That still takes a site away from a traveler who was looking for a place to stay.

It is time for all reservation systems to put software in place that prevents multiple reservations on any day.

I recently was making a reservation on recreation.gov and checking out with my lifetime senior card and was stopped because I was using the card on the same day at another site. The cancellation (park closed) at the other site had not processed yet, but was fine 30 minutes later.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
The new "no show" policy seems kind of weak to me. I know people who make multiple reservations based on how far they "might" travel on a given day. They sometimes call the ones they are not using on the day of the reservation with a sorry, we had a flat tire excuse. That still takes a site away from a traveler who was looking for a place to stay.

It is time for all reservation systems to put software in place that prevents multiple reservations on any day.

I recently was making a reservation on recreation.gov and checking out with my lifetime senior card and was stopped because I was using the card on the same day at another site. The cancellation (park closed) at the other site had not processed yet, but was fine 30 minutes later.
It's unclear if the HH reservations system will PREVENT you from making multiple reservations on the same day, but their new policy states that it's explicitly against the rules to do so and you can have your account suspended for it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Folks I worked in the airlines for over 34 years. The no shows cost millions. That’s why airlines went to at least 20% over sale on flights. No shows cost us all money. How many times have you been in a NP, or a state park and sites are reserved but no one shows up. Sad. Rules are made because of folks not thinking about others
Old 06-11-2021, 07:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Reservations which I have made at many RV parks, State and Federal parks require full payment in advance with limitations on refund cancellations. No fee is required at HH sites, therefor it is too easy to abuse the HH.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Folks I worked in the airlines for over 34 years. The no shows cost millions. That’s why airlines went to at least 20% over sale on flights. No shows cost us all money. How many times have you been in a NP, or a state park and sites are reserved but no one shows up. Sad. Rules are made because of folks not thinking about others
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Watseka , Illinois
Love Harvest Host

We just joined HH this year and have used it twice so far. Shame on those who don't cancel a reservation. It's common courtesy for camping, restaurants, or anything that requires a booking.
We stopped at wineries both times and were able to dine and drink without unhooking. Plus, we had fantastic views. C'mon, people. It's simple manners!
Thundershill is offline   Reply With Quote