Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2021, 06:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Harrisburg, Pa. — good state parks nearby?

We may be making a visit to Harrisburg, Pa.

Are there any good state parks nearby?

What about elsewhere in Pennsylvania? Since we will be making a rare trip to the Keystone State, we wouldn't want to miss any must-sees.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Not a state park, but Gettysburg isn’t far and is a fantastic destination for camping. The grounds are very much kept as they were in 1863. Visitors Center has a terrific exhibition. Watch a Gettysburg video on YouTube before you arrive so you know the flow of the three day battle. You can follow it through the park. It’s really awesome.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
As far as Harrisburg, Hershey Park is close by. The Troegs Brewery is great. In Harrisburg itself, the State House is considered to be one of the most beautiful in the nation. If you’re headed north-east of Harrisburg, Hawk Mt. is a must see. No camping, but it is one of the premier raptor viewing areas on the east coast. It’s private so there is a fee and reservations are needed, yet not hard to get. During migration season, there is a trained spotter with a scope to identify raptors as they migrate. Bring binoculars and a cushion to sit on.

https://www.hawkmountain.org/
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Caledonia SP is very close to Gettysburg and is a great park to camp in. Lots to see and do there, including the ability to hop on the AT and do a little hiking.

There is also lots to do here in Lancaster, which is about 45 minutes from Harrisburg. We have the Strasburg Railroad here in my home town, the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum, Train Collectors Association Toy Train Museum, Choo Choo Barn display and train shop, as well as everything Amish, Dutch Wonderland amusement park, outlet shopping, etc.

Just up the road, across the county line with Lebanon County, is a wonderfully quaint small town called Mount Gretna with an excellent rails-to-trails trail and ice cream shop called The Jigger Shop.

Across the Susquehanna River from Lancaster and also close to Harrisburg is the Harley Davidson Factory and Tour. The York area is also the snack food capital of the country (Utz chips of Hanover, etc.)

It's really a great area, and we would definitely visit here if we didn't live here.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:49 AM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
If it were my first trip to the south central PA area Gettysburg would be my focus. There is so much history there and as was already mentioned the NP is well kept with a wonderful visitors center. For a state park near Gettysburg I would recommend Caledonia, Pine Grove Furnace or Codorus,

And I also second the H-D factory tour in York!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Ah Gettysburg. My Alma Mater, home town, born and raised

Hans is spot on. Caledonia is nice, Pine Grove Furnace too, both close to the Appalachian Trail but a wee bit of a drive to Gettysburg.

Codorus is nice too, and normally has availability when Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace often book solid in the summer.

If you want to be closer to Harrisburg, try Gifford Pinchot State Park.

If anyone wants information regarding Gettysburg, message me. I know enough about the battle to bore you in conversation, and a LOT about the region

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote