Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 12:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Happy, Happy Airstream Campers

We started our Airstream RV Park camping in 2006 with our first trailer. A 23 foot Safari.

We ENDED our RV Park camping in 2006.

Why? Because there are Human Beans who have been endowed with special powers to control the Universe, the rotation of Earth and how other Human Beans react to their Special Powers.

They also have a 'radar' programmed at birth that makes some tolerant of Neanderthals, like myself, and possibly Human Beans when not near them. Even though Human Beans are social animals... some believe that they have the special powers to control what they find particularly... irritating... other Human Beans.

I am a Neanderthal. I did not vote for any Human Bean to find myself a Pet in a Petting Zoo.

I bite... among other disgusting things like being disagreeable when my 'cage has been rattled'. Not often... but my cage is larger today.

The AC unit is loud. It does not run on Propane. When it is HOT... everyone is making noise to stay cool and ignore the AC Swarm among a RV Park and the electrical connection they paid through the orifice they often think with.

Propane is OUR Choice as we Off the Grid Boondocking since... well, like I said the same year we shared a parking space with mostly Human Beans at a RV Park.

It is quiet. It works well to heat your Airstream.

We have our furnace set at 45 to 50F... when it is 17F in the AM. I am not a furry Beast... but have blankets, multiples help and for every time you discover FROST inside or outside your trailer... use the furnace. You paid for it. Use it. It is cheaper to FIX, as well. Think like a Neanderthal... some times. It works for me.

You like to 'Play Games' with neighbors at an RV Park? Walk the RV Park, find someone who will tolerate YOUR NONSENSE... and ask the RV Park person on the ATV if you can move to that spot.

It your NEW neighbor complains... they should THROW YOU AND YOUR TRAILER OUT. I do not care which goes first... out is out. Neanderthals chipping their tools do not make good RV Park owner. Trust me...

Your and their problem is solved.

Some RV Parker Beans like to GRILL on CHARCOAL. Wind direction? No doubt right into your windows... But I leave other obnoxious problems at a RV Park up to those of you who bought a trailer. Stayed at an RV Park... and became a Neanderthal... and love it. Good for you. I need company... only if you... do not bite.

RV Parks have... computers. Their memory is imprinted forever and YOUR NAME will become very... special. Ahhhh.... now you are thinking. I always think. My wife says, not often enough. Thus... this Thread. Sorry honey.

Photographs of OUR RV Park camping. Try it, you might like it.

New Zealand campground.... last two photographs. They have FUN at a RV Park. We have too many complainers... true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0229.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	418064   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2118.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	418065  

Name:	DSCN0028.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	418066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0014.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	418067  

Name:	DSCN0660_1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	418068   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0685_1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	418069  

Old 06-22-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Campground: Quiet Times After 10PM

Just because someone can use a Heat Pump at a Camp Ground does not make it right. If you have a Propane Furnace, it is quiet, very quiet and works just fine. More efficient than an electrical heat pump. If your ONLY option was using the Heat Pump... explain that point. Not every Human Bean is thick skulled.

We camped in 17F mornings this month, propane. Not by choice, weather cannot be predicted once you are over 8000 feet elevation. We come prepared with blankets and sleeping bag for a bed spread. Even our Blue Heelers keep warm cuddling among the bed spread. It is a community effort. No complaint. I would rather have a couple dogs for company, any time.

The 27 foot has two AC's. Maybe haul two or three generators Off the Grid? Nope. Saving the world from Carbon emissions. Nope.

Electricity comes from somewhere, not a pole or a wire or a person on a bicycle generating DC lights. If not using Propane is saving the Planet... why drive to a RV Park? Save the planet from tow vehicle exhuast and stay home. Run the Heat Pump all you want.

Do you have a Heat Pump at home? Energy waster, for sure.

Even those large AC Units next to a house can be... rather annoying, too. We have two alongside the house when needed. They are actually quiet. Hammering on an Anvil as a hobby at 2 AM in Fort Saunders... will get a knock on your head, or door.

Many RV Parks and Camp Grounds have QUIET TIMES. Decibels measure sound. Often 90 decibels for 8 hours is the maximum before you will have hearing impairment. OSHA. 90 decibels is the sound of the old printing press using lead type at a Newspaper in Cheyenne, Wyoming. You can check the Decibel range on the Internet. Those in the Press Room wore headsets to minimize the noise.

Maybe the Heat Pump and Air Conditioner are among those... whoooo hoooo. I checked: 50 to 95 decibels. I know this stuff... somewhat. I was an OSHA 'representative' in 1970 to 1972. I was kind. I was polite and I would point out the hazards of loud explosions and noises without hearing protection.

Truck parking along an Interstate. Idling diesels are noisy. Do not spend the evening among the diesel exhaust and idling engines if you are sensitive. We are not. We spent one evening on the Wyoming / Utah border last week on I-80 and had no complaints. The trailer vibrated me to sleep... then they pulled out and I rolled over. A big baby, I am.

We could move on... if we did. You do not have a CHOICE at a RV Park.

The person who complained about noise from a Heat Pump, had just as much right for peace and quiet and go to the source of the person who did not care. "I can... so I can do it." Barking dog(s)... get more attention. More than you want.

We did use the RV Park in Tucson, Arizona for the Gem and Mineral Show in January/February. Quiet. Polite. Maybe no power hookups. We were on Solar.

Respect those who are around you. If they are in a Tent, you are in an Airstream with all of the comforts... cut them some slack. 'Rectumitis' is catchy.

Quiet Heat Pumps: 40dB to 60db. (Heat Pump Noise Decibels)
Old 06-22-2022, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m with you when it comes to RV parks, or even worse RV Resorts. There’s nothing at an RV resort that remotely resembles a proper resort.

I don’t mind staying at a KOA close to the interstate for a night on a road trip. KOA isn’t great, but it’s clean, consistent, and it has everything you need for a night.

We’ve gone to 90% small state parks and boondocking. We will occasionally stay at a small, family owned private campground. Earlier this month we stayed at Springer Gulch Campground in the Eleven Mile Canyon. It’s a small Colorado State Park. For our mid-week stay, we were the only people there. It has no hookups of any kind, just vault toilets. It was remarkably quiet and peaceful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DA4E6F38-FECC-455D-BE2B-4C9B12658C58.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	650.5 KB
ID:	418098  

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:37 PM   #4
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
It's too hot here in Texas for me to boondock. I use my AS to traverse from the Gulf coast to the west coast to visit my sister each year and as a hurricane escape pod. Very few places to boondock in comfort between here and there this time of the year. If at all possible I stay in State Parks and avoid the RV Resorts as they don't live up to their advertised claims.
On another note, I'm new to forums and I'm amassing a list of topics to avoid participation in and only observe(tires, tvs, hitches, and others). When I see certain names on a thread, I pay closer attention to them. There is a lot of knowledge out there and opinions too.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
It's too hot here in Texas for me to boondock. I use my AS to traverse from the Gulf coast to the west coast to visit my sister each year and as a hurricane escape pod. Very few places to boondock in comfort between here and there this time of the year. If at all possible I stay in State Parks and avoid the RV Resorts as they don't live up to their advertised claims.
On another note, I'm new to forums and I'm amassing a list of topics to avoid participation in and only observe(tires, tvs, hitches, and others). When I see certain names on a thread, I pay closer attention to them. There is a lot of knowledge out there and opinions too.
Welcome to the forums. I’ve found the knowledge here and the people here to be tremendously helpful with problem solving as well as helpful modifications.

I’m a native Texan, born and raised in the Dallas area but also lived in the Hill Country for a few years. I’ve never heard of Orange, TX. Where is it?

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:29 AM   #6
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Dennis,
Way down in the southeast corner about 5 miles from the Louisiana state line on IH-10. Actually I live in Mauriceville about 15 miles northwest of Orange.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Boondocking time Limiting factor?

What feature of your Airstream limits your boondocking time and requires you to move or relocate? Weather aside, would you say the most limiting factor causing you to move would be the holding capacity of your black water tank? Fresh water tank? Something else? For two people, about how long you can comfortably boondock (off the grid) without having to run into town to resupply? (food, water, propane, and empty tanks?)
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #8
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Where does the OP live?

This note is entertaining, but not practical for those of us living in the South, and Western deserts! Please remind me how many folks live in Ray’s home town (30,000+) in the least populated state in the U.S.! I imagine walking the streets of Ft Saunders, WY to include being surrounded by tons of people all talking loudly (when it is not snowing)! Plus, has anyone out West adapted to the annual aroma of forest fires? I cannot tell you how many times our vacations were impacted by those nasty events while camping with our children. We spent 23 years out West, but summers in Phoenix were not like the pictures Ray attached.

Not using AC in the SE U.S. today, where many places are experiencing the joy of 100+ degree temperatures, would require noisy generators, while boondocking!

If anyone finds that propane working well in this SE summer, while boondocking, please respond, otherwise, I will say, God bless plug-in electrical access!
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:26 PM   #9
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Boondocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
What feature of your Airstream limits your boondocking time and requires you to move or relocate? Weather aside, would you say the most limiting factor causing you to move would be the holding capacity of your black water tank? Fresh water tank? Something else? For two people, about how long you can comfortably boondock (off the grid) without having to run into town to resupply? (food, water, propane, and empty tanks?)
I'm not a boondocker, but I was surprised to see how fast the grey tank fills, even though I am frugal with putting water down the drain. A Navy shower for me adds 6%, my sister,25% to the grey tank. All my boondocking was done in my younger years because I grew up without A/C.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
I'm not a boondocker, but I was surprised to see how fast the grey tank fills, even though I am frugal with putting water down the drain. A Navy shower for me adds 6%, my sister,25% to the grey tank. All my boondocking was done in my younger years because I grew up without A/C.
Didn't have A/C until my junior year in high school back in 1978 in Killeen, Tx. Same with my grandparents in Austin. When we finally got A/C, it was one window unit in the living room that was trying to cool an entire 1200 square foot home that had little or no insulation. Not sure how much of an improvement it really was outside of the living room A/C units and the electrical cost to run them was cost prohibitive for us.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:49 PM   #11
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I also got A/C in 1978 when I bought my first house.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
We just spent five days boondocking with solar in Port Townsend Washington. It is unseasonably cool this year so far. Propane heat was great. Our limit when boondocking is about one week before we have to empty tanks. During that time, we usually have to add five to ten gallons of water to the fresh tank (using the 2-liter pop bottle funnel with the side cut out). Thank God for the relatively cool PNW!! I do not know the last time we had to use AC.

We will be spending the next two weeks at Champoeg State park in Oregon where the temperatures are supposed to be in the 90's, so the AC will probably be used!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ft. Saunders / Laramie, Wyoming... suburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by superChop View Post
This note is entertaining, but not practical for those of us living in the South, and Western deserts! Please remind me how many folks live in Ray’s home town (30,000+) in the least populated state in the U.S.! I imagine walking the streets of Ft Saunders, WY to include being surrounded by tons of people all talking loudly (when it is not snowing)! Plus, has anyone out West adapted to the annual aroma of forest fires? I cannot tell you how many times our vacations were impacted by those nasty events while camping with our children. We spent 23 years out West, but summers in Phoenix were not like the pictures Ray attached.

Not using AC in the SE U.S. today, where many places are experiencing the joy of 100+ degree temperatures, would require noisy generators, while boondocking!

If anyone finds that propane working well in this SE summer, while boondocking, please respond, otherwise, I will say, God bless plug-in electrical access!
This is an area I am went to the University. If I said where I am currently living, I would have too many wanting to visit....
Old 06-23-2022, 06:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Find the 2016 Wyoming Adventure thread on the Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
We can spend two to three weeks Off the Grid Boondocking for a Neanderthal, a Human Bean and two Blue Heelers with provisions. Longer if necessary. Once an area is explored... yes... days of hiking the wilderness... we get bored and move on.

WATER USE is the most important aspect of our OTG Boondocking. Many things are not necessary in the unexplored wilderness... showers, flushing toilet... think Oregon Trail 1840's without Rest Stops and Water Pumps at Maverick Service Stations.

We return healthy, no excess fat stored as we burn calories every day and come home tired and feeling..... GREAT!!!! No RV Park lounging for us... but maybe someday... just to get enough to recall why we avoid RV Parks.

The Oliver is smaller but is designed so well our current 27 foot Airstream carries not much more, and what we carry in the shelled pickup bed with two Six Gallon fresh water jugs... as the dogs are heavy drinkers.

When camped Off the Grid Boondocking... you are on your own and understand how to manage water, food, propane, battery/solar and tow vehicle fuel.

I have to say that this is a learned outdoors experience. Not taught, but you have to do it to understand, completely. Conservation of what is available that is in your control.

Many of these places are... remote. Most cannot imagine how, as they do not even understand what OTG Boondocking is like. The closest example is those who are doing an Oregon Trail event on the Forum. But without anything in 1847 kind of mental awareness of resources.

Some day... we may attempt another Off the Grid two weeks in the Western USA, but the 2016 Wyoming Adventure was more of a Riot of personalities expecting something different AND the Survivors who managed to make it through the two weeks.

I was very surprised as to what some expected and what some experienced as physcial torture and wanting to... string me up on a short tree branch... experience.

One 2016 Adventure member returns from Canada to Fish a small river that has lots of trout... and not named for good reason. He also ties his own flies and fries them at the camp. A true OTG Boondocker and plays the Mandolin.

Boondocking term... has become a Tea Party for those dressed well and shower frequently at convenient locations, like Yellowstone or Jackson, Wyoming.

Our 27 foot International is able to travel well Off the Grid with experience. Three inch lift and 16 inch Michelins. The Oliver Elite II already HAS this as FACTORY install. Both have Solar Panels and we know how to conserve by experience. Propane... cooking, sometimes hot water, paper plates and heating if necessary is easy to manage if you know how. Most... may need a week or two with us... suffering at first to catch on... or left early like half did in 2006. Their choice... I said I would get them to these known OTG sites and they needed to experience a rarely used option in the Rocky Mountain public lands. I was not a Tour Guide... but a Drill Sargent with the attitude of a stray Blue Heeler puppy. And potty trained.

(Excuse some typos on the last two posts. I do not write these in advance and it flows like drool from a Mastif... If I had to edit and text... I would be ready to sit outside and lose my 'train of dismembered thoughts'. I think in pictures and try to put words to those thoughts. Not easy peasy... for me.) I use my computer and keyboard... most text message a few words. I let it... flow. Right or Wrong.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Lol, yup! 7 - 10 days in the backwoods in a 1999 Jeep Wrangler SE. Now that I'm getting to be an old fart , the wife and I go out in the boonies in our GT27 with the 3" lift. Stay out the same amount of time.
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
We do not tow a boat to the Red Desert in SW Wyoming.

We do not dry camp in the Mohave Desert or Death Valley.

We do not go to Texas to cool off in July.

We do not camp out at Keystone Ski Area Colorado, parking lot in January.

WE actually understand that those wanting to dry camp can go to areas that they find comfortable and fit the Season. Surprised? Plan ahead and access to daily weather reports can be found on a phone... today. If a Neanderthal can locate pleasant locations any time of the year to dry camp... a Human Bean can, as well.

It takes some experience and you mark those locations on an Atlas of that State. After 16 years of camping... we still do not camp in Oklahoma or Texas in the Summer. The Arbuckle Mountains are not our kind of mountain, although been there.

Like 99TJSE... you EVOLVE from sleeping on a cement or splintered wood NFS picnic table, to the back seat of a 4x4, to a tent, to a small trailer to a... Airstream upgraded with a 3 inch Lift and Michelin tires and a Tow Vehicle that has testicles.

Common Sense is not for sale at the RV Store. State map atlases are available at most large Service Stations. They are worth every cent as they show ROADS, places to go and coordinates.

If this is too confusing... RV Parks are a great place, but not our kind of atmosphere. I am only the messenger that there are lots of options available. You need to find yours.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:30 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
We dry-camped Death Valley this last December three days

It was great

I will not do it in August!
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote