Old 08-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
Hail damage

Just curious, for those who have several years of traveling, what do you think the percentage is of those who get hail damage on AS?

Second, will insurance cover the damage?

Thanks for info!

Dwain

Dwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Collision and comp will cover hail damage. Florida, and the Gulf coast has modest to high risk of hail. Not as high as West Texas and up through tornado alley but still high. If you took no steps to avoid hail, I venture to guess the risk is about the same as home roof experience. Here in Louisiana it about once every 18-25 years. Fortunately you can cover up making it rare. If you don't have a cover and you know damaging hail is on the way, thick blankets makes a huge difference.

On the road be aware that except for tropical storms, weather in the US goes west to east, so traveling east you can avoid weather by watching the forecast and either out running it or waiting back. East to west or north south is a bit trickier, unless you are willing to turn back. taking refuge under a gas station awning is an option.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
I've been hailed on three times. My Airstream has dents from the windows up. I get used to them. Hail is the bain of Airstream ownership. I stupidity drove into a thunderstorm instead of staying put. With modern "i thingies" a guy can get good radar reports and storm tracks like a good pilot does. Then a guy and avoid them. I have a few dents maybe 1" in diameter and maybe 1/4" deep. I have many more little dents.

You can insure anything. Their actuaries know the chance of an Airstream getting hailed on, or catching fire, or getting stolen, or t-boned in an intersection. Check your policy or agent about hail damage coverage. Repairing hail damage on an Airstream is very expensive and in many cases requires new exterior skins on top. I've tried "paint-less dent repair" techniques to no avail. The glue pucks don't stick well enough for me, suction didn't work at all, dry ice didn't work either. Maybe removing the interior and trying to roll the dents would work reasonably well. I read some folks have success with this technique.

Avoid hail.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792

Link to our 1976 Renovation Project:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...ct-202081.html
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #4

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Totaled our 27FB in Dallas TX due to hail!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
The used 2004 Safari we got came with some hail dings, so we are used to them. Still, I wouldn't want to get hit with any more!
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Another option is to paint it white and put a Titleist logo on it .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
At home our AS is housed in it's own building at our farm. So, if it is hailed on while we are home that's my fault. Traveling is another ballgame that I have little control over. Sure, I watch the weather but doesn't always work. We don't travel the midwest during the storm season. So, if we get hailed on there's nothing I can do about it. The AS belongs to the Insurance company at that point. No use losing sleep over it.

Years ago we were attending an aircraft owners convention in Durango, Colorado. There was a class on HowTo Crash An Airplane. I'll never forget what the instructor told us. "When the engine stops in flight your airplane is a company plane belonging to the Insurance company. The only thing you as a pilot worry about is how to crash it and walk away from it alive."

Although I don't want my AS to be hailed on but if that happens during our travels there's nothing that I can do about. It belongs to the Insurance.

gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote