Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Gulf State Park

I have campsite reservations for gulf State Park in gulf shores Alabama October 20 2020.
Would anyone know the condition of park and local area businesses after recent hurricane?
Considering canceling and maybe heading west to travel a portion of route 66.
Thanks
Ditter
Ditter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you called or emailed them for direct accurate feedback?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I was there the 5 days before the storm. They are behind the dunes and about 6 ft. elevation. Storm surge was 5-6 feet. Photos of business had about 2-3 ft of water on the main road and in the buildings on Perdido Island by Flora-bama. Gulf Shores photos looked a tad better. I'd suspect most of the camp sites are okay, but not pristine. All the building in the park are raised. Its a beautiful park. 90-100 mph winds so the trees will be looking ragged, lots of branches down I would imagine and the marsh and lakes may be looking ragged.

You will have to give them a call to find out for sure.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
I was there the 5 days before the storm. They are behind the dunes and about 6 ft. elevation. Storm surge was 5-6 feet. Photos of business had about 2-3 ft of water on the main road and in the buildings on Perdido Island by Flora-bama. Gulf Shores photos looked a tad better. I'd suspect most of the camp sites are okay, but not pristine. All the building in the park are raised. Its a beautiful park. 90-100 mph winds so the trees will be looking ragged, lots of branches down I would imagine and the marsh and lakes may be looking ragged.

You will have to give them a call to find out for sure.

I have been on their sight and they only wanted the people who had stored trailers to contact them. From the pic that they posted most of those trailer were flooded i plain to call next week
Old 09-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I checked with a friend near Foley who said the campsites are not in bad shape but the storage yard is lower. Said the park would likely not reopen till they get the main roads and trails cleared and repaired. Sounded like it may be a month or so. there is a big clean up effort this weekend but the park isn't participating due to all the heavy equipment they are using to clear the many pine trees that toppled. Said the damage along the beach extends to Pensacola. Sorry for the bad news and the poor timing.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
I checked with a friend near Foley who said the campsites are not in bad shape but the storage yard is lower. Said the park would likely not reopen till they get the main roads and trails cleared and repaired. Sounded like it may be a month or so. there is a big clean up effort this weekend but the park isn't participating due to all the heavy equipment they are using to clear the many pine trees that toppled. Said the damage along the beach extends to Pensacola. Sorry for the bad news and the poor timing.

Thanks that is what i need to hear first hand info. It makes no sense to me to go there and get in their way I sure people helping out with clean up will be glad to have a camp site.
Thanks again
Ron