Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Grey water dump sites

We spent 4 days at Laguna Seca in Monterey CA. They have very nice hook up campsite with showers next to the race track. However they don't offer a dump site. I stopped by the local KOA which I am a member and have stayed before and asked them I could dump my grey water. ( we have a composting toilet) They said no for it was only for guest. They told me of camp ground up about 5 miles away which we went to with no one around emptied the grey tank. Just as I was about to put the hose away the manager came out and told to get the hell out for it was only for guest.

Is there a directory for dumping stations?
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
Flying J Truck Stops

Flying J Truck Stops often have dumping stations. You can go to their web site and get a directory. The directory lists the available services at each stop. I find them very RV friendly and With a flying j card or a good sams card I believe you get a discount on fuel and propane. They do charge for using the dump station, but I found it very reasonable with the card discount.

Mark
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I think the Allstays app has fairly good listings of all campgrounds and dump stations, and is reasonable priced.

https://www.allstays.com/apps/
https://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm
"Allstays" on AF: https://www.google.com/search?q=Alls...=airforums.com

Apple/Mac devices only maybe?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Ad heavy, but www.sanidumps.com/
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Thank you
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
We spent 4 days at Laguna Seca in Monterey CA. They have very nice hook up campsite with showers next to the race track. However they don't offer a dump site. I stopped by the local KOA which I am a member and have stayed before and asked them I could dump my grey water. ( we have a composting toilet) They said no for it was only for guest. They told me of camp ground up about 5 miles away which we went to with no one around emptied the grey tank. Just as I was about to put the hose away the manager came out and told to get the hell out for it was only for guest.

For those of you planning a visit to Monterrey CA, good to know the kind of folks who run the local KOA......

thanks for sharing
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Proper to ask permission to use dump station. It is private property. A small fee may be charged.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Sorry to hear about your rude treatment from the campsite hosts but thanks for the heads up on the KOA campsites. I was just about to buy the KOA Rewards Loyalty program. I haven't stayed at to many KOAs and now I guess I won't.

Thanks & Good Luck
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
IIMO no excuse for rude behavior, however if i wasn’t staying at their campground why would I expect them to provide free dumping, there are cost associated with maintaining a campground. Some allow dumping for a fee.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The only things we do at our regional CW's, is dump, it's free and LP, it's by the gallon. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Sorry to hear about your rude treatment from the campsite hosts but thanks for the heads up on the KOA campsites. I was just about to buy the KOA Rewards Loyalty program. I haven't stayed at to many KOAs and now I guess I won't.

Thanks & Good Luck

If I understand the OP correctly, while the KOA didn’t agree to let them use the dump facility, it was the campsite they recommended who responded rudely....

If I’m a campsite owner, I’d advertise and welcome people to use the dump for a small fee. Extra revenue for just sitting there. I’d be all over that....

Of course - I’m not a campground owner and since this seems uncommon, I would be wide open to learning why it’s not more the norm?

I second Peter’s suggestion on AllStays - comprehensive database. Best $10 app going!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have been to KOA's that charged $10 or $15 for use of the dumpsite if you are not staying overnight there. I have paid $5 at a truck stop.

And I do not think one would get a break for just dumping gray water. If it is waste it is waste.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Most all of the KOAs I've been too would let you dump for a fee. Generally it is $10, some add $5 for the KOA kids camp.

some states, like Alabama, have them at rest stops on highways not interstates.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
My guess is that the sewer system around Monterey has a limited capacity, which could also explain why there are no dump stations at the Laguna Seca campsite. At least that’s the answer I’ve been given, when I’ve run into this situation before at different places along the coast of California.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I dump my tanks in the neighbors front lawn...
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Indeed there are very specific local issues with sewage. The answer there may be to do the dump at your next stop. Part of our trip planning is being reasonably sure of a dump station as they are likely to be needed. For us that's about once a week or a bit more if we know a stretch is needed.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Many of Oregon and Washington rest stops and towns have RV dump stations without charge. One more reason I am very happy to be in the PNW!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post

Has something changed at Laguna Seca? We stayed there in 2013 and again in 2015 and there was a dump station as you exited the camp ground. As I recall, you turned left after descending the hill from the camp ground and it it was close by.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I've never had a problem finding a dump station to empty my tanks. But I've never towed my trailer(s) in California. So there is a possibility it could happen.

Of course the OP asked, as I recall, if there is a directory of places you could look up dump stations. Well there is. Just google RV dump stations and you get some hits. Here is one...………..

https://www.rvdumps.com/
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Some years ago on one of my trips west I noticed some "free" dump sites at rest areas along I-80 in Illinois or Iowa. Not sure now but I was pleasantly surprised to find these sites and made use of one myself. Haven't noticed more recently so not sure just how available these dump sites may be. On the other hand just recently we were traveling homeward and stopped at a rest area just inside New Jersey after crossing the Delaware Mem. bridge and entering onto 295 northbound and found a "FREE" dump station there. Who knew. It's nice to have a place to dump and come home with clean tanks.

The Allstays application also list dump sites. Some free, some with fees.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote