Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Grand Tetons & Yellowstone

Please point me towards prior discussions on camping in these great parks as I know I've seen posts somewhere along the road in this forum. We're thinking of camping for the first time in Yellowstone this Summer and including the Grandchildren ages 6 and 8 and their parents. We've been in the parks on a couple of other occasions. I have the most popular campground guides in my library but would prefer to mix it up a bit by camping in private as well as State & National Park campgrounds. We don't mind camping without hookups and have our generators for power needs. Any good suggestions will be most welcome from any of you that have had good experiences with your extended families in or around the parks for a seven to ten day stay. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Scituate , Massachusetts
Rivet Yellowstone-Fishing Bridge CG

We have camped at Fishing Bridge CG within the boundaries of Yellowstone and it wasn't such a great experience; we cannot speak for the other campgrounds within Yellowstone.

Fishing Bridge is nothing more than a crowded parking lot with curbstone dividers and full hookup sites.

The single plus is that the CG is within the National Park and you have much less on-the-road bumper to bumper traffic than if you camp in West Yellowstone.

The entry points sometimes have 15-minute waits and you can drive a long way from an entry point to specific sights. It is a waste of vacation time if you stay outside the park.

It is gorgeous and you'll enjoy the beauty if you take your time and see everything and take lots of photos.

Rich
Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
It is a great cruise, especially if your going now, do the Tetons, too. The camping is
better in the Tetons; but busy and crowded most of the time. The Cody, Wyoming KOA
is a great place for rest, laundry, etc.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
We stayed at Fishing Bridge inside of Yellowstone in June. If we had it to do over, we'd have bought a generator and stayed at Madison or Norris campgrounds inside of the park. Much prettier parks with larger sites. But Fishing Bridge did serve our purpose. We stayed 10 days inside of the park. There's a really nice travel book, I think you can find it on www.travelbrains.com. I found it at one of their general stores on the last day of our trip. Just my luck :-) Wherever you stay you will enjoy Yellowstone.

Here's a good forum on Yellowstone. They post topics such as "Bear Sightings 2008". From what we saw, these posts are fairly accurate and if somebody saw a bear, you will probably see it there again. They seem to be creatures of habit and near the same places each time. http://www.yellowstone.net/forums/

We also stayed in the Tetons and then drove to Jackson Hole. Colter Bay RV park was a nice campground on a beautiful lake. Jackson Hole is about a 30 minute drive away.

The avatar picture you see is of our camper at Fishing Bridge. If you click on the picture, you'll see what happened a few days later on June 6. So be prepared for any weather.
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper2 View Post
If you click on the picture, you'll see what happened a few days later on June 6.
How do you do that?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We stayed at Colter bay... You can camp in gen. or un gen. territory or full hookup.. The camps are nice with lots of woods.. Hiking trails to the lake and $3.00 showers if you want a really long hot one.... $16 a night for no hookups and $54 for full hook ups.. We liked the non hook ups better, more room,, We stayed at both.... Full hook up wasn't worth it if you have a generator...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
How do you do that?
It just happens to be our profile picture and that's where the "click" takes you to.
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Personal Favorite = Tetons

The first time that my family camped in the Tetons was 1956. As a "young" child, I fell in love with the place.

Over the years, with my family & later, my husband, we trailer camped in both the Tetons & Yellowstone. For many reasons, we prefer the Tetons over Yellowstone.

Will you be camping in your 30' trailer? Check the length restrictions on the National Park campgrounds. Gros Ventre campground in GTNO can accommodate fairly large rigs.

Colter Bay is our favorite "base" area in the Tetons - Colter Bay, on Jackson Lake, has many activities for all ages - boat rental, hiking, ranger activities, museum, several cafeterias, a store (expensive) and a laundry (also expensive). We've stayed in our 31' AS at the Colter Bay trailer village; this park handles big rigs although winding your way thru the trees to your spot may be daunting. (We camped there in the early 60's in a '55 Shasta, a few years after the trailer village opened - the trees were only 3' high & we could see Jackson Lake from our spot!)
If you do want to stay at the trailer village during the summer, MAKE RESERVATIONS in December or January. The non-hookup camping area at Colter Bay does have spots for a 30' trailer; last time we were in the park, the camping area was first come, first served.

If you want to "do" the town of Jackson, The Virginian Hotel & RV park offers reasonable spots & clean facilities as of 2 years ago. There are a lot of touristy things ($$$) in Jackson; every day, there is a reenactment of an old west gunfight that occurs in the town square.

As well, just north of Jackson on the way to the Grand Teton National Park is the National Museum of Wildlife Art. This museum is across from the National Elk Refuge.

Whatever you do, enjoy the great beauty of the region!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks one and all as this information will certainly get us started planning in the right direction. If you or any other Forums members think of anything else we need to know please don't hesitate in posting. You all are the greatest!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We did the tour last May/June with no reservations since it was pre season. Our first 2 nights were in the Tetons at Grosse Venture (sp, sorry) and then we went to Bridge Bay CG in Yellowstone. Long sites are in the minority at both places. Now that we have 'done' Yellowstone we are chomping at the bit to return to....the Tetons (discussed it again tonight)
Even off season in Yellowstone you will have close neighbors, not exactly our style but we did it. At Bridge Bay, almost all of the sites are pull overs, just a wide spot in the drive where you parallel park. As folks drive by they are literally 2' from your street side wall but at least you can roll out the awning on the other side. A slide out would be, um, adventurious.
We saw much more wildlife in the Tetons and it seems that it would be possible to find some uncrowded areas while Yellowstone is really busy.

We posted our adventure at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...8-a-41824.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Quincy , Massachusetts
Tetons

we just left the tetons last week after spending 9 days in Yellowstone. In Yellowstone we stayed a Grisly RV in west yellowstone. One of the nicest parks I have stayed in. In the tetons we stayed in Grand Teton rv park in Moran. Not the best but with a great view of the tetons. The wildlife is much better in the tetons because of the wolfs in Yellowstone. Plus it is much easier to get around in the tetons than yellowstone, with less traffic.
Gregg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks Gregg! We appreciate all of the tips received to date.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We were just at Yellowstone NP in July. Stayed 3 nights at Fishing Bridge and 4 nights at Bridge Bay. We were also at Fishing Bridge for 7 nights last year. When we go back to Yellowston NP we will stay at Bridge Bary or one of the other dry camping area's of the Park. I believe that we had more breating room at Bridge Bay. Being seniors we paid $9 per night for the dry camping. We did not have a generator and did not experience any discomforts during our stay in the Bridge Bay camping area. We prefer staying inside the Park.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Hello there,

I am with Rich. I stayed at Fishing Bridge in '07. Very tight for our Sovereign. But we didn't go to Yellowstone for the campground. It is in a central locale in the park as well. Can't have a campfire either. We covered most of the park in the 4 days we stayed there, just my wife and I. We did the whole trip from Central IL to Yellowstone in 8 days. I wouldn't recommend it. Would like to try Bridge Bay, maybe next time.

PS. Make sure your water system is tight. The water pressure is very high at FB, and I found a 'few' leaks, of course.

Cory
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
If you are considering any NPS campgrounds, be aware that some have lenghth restrictions. I noticed that you have a 30 footer.

Jonathan
Old 09-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Water pressure

PS. Make sure your water system is tight. The water pressure is very high at FB, and I found a 'few' leaks, of course.

Cory[/quote]

Best to ALWAYS use a regulator in your hose line if your trailer dose not have one built in.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks to each and every one of you for the good tips. We're definitely cataloging each one for our trip planning efforts.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
In 2006 (pre-Airstream) we stayed at Bridge Bay campground. Having no hookups was not a problem because it got so cool at night that you never needed air conditioning.

I've included two photos. The first is a buffalo walking through the open section of Bridge Bay Campground where most of the larger RVs were placed. We had a 25 footer and were assigned a wooded site that was very private. Loved it.

We also liked Bridge Bay because of the central location within the park. In 2007 we couldn't get reservations within the park and stayed in West Yellowstone. It was a pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9918.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	68126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9920.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	68127  

Old 09-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Here's a better photo of the site. The black van in the background is my parent's van and it's parked on the pad. The tent is my brother's and is on our site. You couldn't see any neighbors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camp site pan.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	68128  
Old 09-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Love all the information and especially pictures. Thanks.