Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #1
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Grand Teton Park in a 30 foot Classic and...

with a Long Bed Dually truck?

I am in the process of putting together out trip in late June next summer. I am trying to figured out if I can get into the any of the RV sites in the Grand Teton National Park. My gut feeling is it is probably too tight on the roads. However, I figured I would ask if any of you have any experience with this over the past year. The reason I say lately is because I've read that the paths have narrowed due to tress growth over the past year.

This would be easier if it didn't require reservations 6 months to the second in order to get the site I would have a change at getting into.

Thanks!
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:34 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
We stayed at colter bay and were fine. You are only ~18 inches longer than my 30’ + 3/4 ton crew cab with 6.5’ bed.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Their website should also give you information on sites and rig lengths they will accommodate.

Maggie
Old 12-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Coulter Bay is the largest CG with good access and plenty of spaces to fit your trailer. Hwy 89 is all good road. I would avoid Signal Mt. CG as it is tight and hilly.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
I can't answer your question directly as I have never been to Grand Teton NP or its campgrounds. From everything I have seen and heard, however, 30' pushes the limits of most all the NP campground sites, many of which were built when Model Ts were still being used with side tents.

We are planning a trip out West to the famous National Parks out there, including Grand Teton. I am thankful to have two Airstreams to choose from. Our current 24' project will be finished by then, but I already told my wife to plan that we will be taking the 17' Bambi II. It is only a few inches wider than the tow vehicle and the entire rig can be parked in two shopping mall parking spaces. Not to mention the better fuel economy towing the little guy, I think it will make the trip more enjoyable because it can go and fit just about anywhere.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We have stayed in Colter Bay and Gros Ventre in our 34’
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
I can't answer your question directly as I have never been to Grand Teton NP or its campgrounds. From everything I have seen and heard, however, 30' pushes the limits of most all the NP campground sites, many of which were built when Model Ts were still being used with side tents.

We are planning a trip out West to the famous National Parks out there, including Grand Teton. I am thankful to have two Airstreams to choose from. Our current 24' project will be finished by then, but I already told my wife to plan that we will be taking the 17' Bambi II. It is only a few inches wider than the tow vehicle and the entire rig can be parked in two shopping mall parking spaces. Not to mention the better fuel economy towing the little guy, I think it will make the trip more enjoyable because it can go and fit just about anywhere.

We started with a 23’ Airstream and downsized to 16’ for reasons including those you mentioned. It is much easier to tow, fits anywhere, and is much more fun!
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Crestwood , 40014
We have a 30 Classic and stayed in Gros Vente in Sept, no issues. You can only book reservations 6 months in advance, so you may want a range of days that you are willing to check in. It took us trying 3 days in a row to secure a site with requesting online the second the web site opened to make reservations.
ChrisCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Everyone else has the same idea…go early
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Thank you all! I knew I could depend on getting some good information here.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
2017 22' Sport
Coral Canyon, Washington City , Utah
All 2022 campsite/ RV reservations are processed with www.recreation.gov going forward.
Colter Bay is nice, some spots on staggered hillside, a little tight. Our AS22 no problem. Visit Signal Mountain lodge for lunch. Great photos on the wall of the construction of the dam that created Jackson Lake . Jackson Lake Lodge for dinner, OpenTable reservations.
Also rent a canoe at Jenny Lake, visit
Mormon Row historic district and small lunch place in Kelly
MrStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
We go to Grand Tetons every Sept/Oct with our 30' Classic. Always stay at first-come first-serve Gros Ventre. Plenty of room. June stay? Not certain as to availability.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
Same as above. 30' Int Serenity. Gros Ventre. No problems with roads around campground. Select your site carefully based on NP info and viewing a satellite map of the campground. We didn't have any problems reserving a site for the first of August last summer.
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
We go to Grand Tetons every Sept/Oct with our 30' Classic. Always stay at first-come first-serve Gros Ventre. Plenty of room. June stay? Not certain as to availability.

Gros Ventre has been reservation only as of early 2021. Farther away from the main park but an alternative if you can't get into Coulter.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Jackson , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post

I am in the process of putting together out trip in late June next summer. I am trying to figured out if I can get into the any of the RV sites in the Grand Teton National Park. My gut feeling is it is probably too tight on the roads. However, I figured I would ask if any of you have any experience with this over the past year. The reason I say lately is because I've read that the paths have narrowed due to tress growth over the past year.

This would be easier if it didn't require reservations 6 months to the second in order to get the site I would have a change at getting into.

Thanks!
We live very close to the park. Several CGs including Gros Ventre (Grow Vaunt) will accommodate you with ease.
gzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
Our stay at Colter Bay was in the campground without hookups, no generators and sign said max length 25'Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_171459.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	409222
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Fayetteville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post

Thanks!
Gros Ventre is a great spot between Jackson and the Airport, used to be mostly non electric but they have added electric in last several years. It's part of the Park and would highly recommend, probably holds at least 150 trailers.....Stay there last year in my 30, David Lewis
David Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #18
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Stay away from Coulter Bay Village, the "concessionaire" campground next door to Coulter Bay. We stayed at both - the village spots were "cheek by jowl" and very dark, and to top it all very expensive. The "regular" Coulter Bay sites were nicely spaced out, which allowed our solar panels to do their job
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We snagged a late May reservation in Gros Ventre this spring, found the site available for our 25FB about two months in advance. The advertised site length was pretty accurate. As was said above, some of the loops have been upgraded, including some sites that are now very long. In other loops, many sites are too small for a 30' but others are OK.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #20

2018 28' International
Kerrville , Texas
We stayed at Coulter Bay CG in late September with no hookups. We added BattleBorn Batteries and purchased a folding solar panel knowing we’d have to have heat at night. We were fine because we were on the north side of the street and could place our solar panel on the south side of the trailer in the morning and early afternoon. We have a 28’ RB that fit fine - most sites are parallel pull-throughs - but the truck had to be at an angle to unhitch and then we backed diagonally and up a little hill to get the truck out of the way. Great site though - up a small hill to the picnic table and fire pit. Very private. The only negative was that we were purposefully in a no-generator section but were right next to a generators allowed zone and could hear them at night.
laughing55 is offline   Reply With Quote