Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Palisades Reservoir: Alpine, Wyoming

[QUOTE=KCurtis;2561901]with a Long Bed Dually truck?

West of Alpine, Wyoming is a Government Reservoir and Highway 26 takes you to the Snake River Dam (Palisade Reservoir). To the south is a hillside of fee campsites for Trailers... although popular, many do not want to be close to Jackson... nor Alpine. I do not recall the cost, but reasonable. We were there in 2007.

Camping spots at High Season north of Jackson? Find these convenient Off the Grid sites. Alpine... is great for fuel, food, restaurants, grocery store.

We now Boondock for free at:

Less than eight miles West, you will find free Boondocking along the Snake River. On the north side it is not as wide open for Off the Grid anywhere parking.... but cross the river and there are a hundred acres or more of gravel/boulder open area and among the trees.

Some people like to park their trailers next to a highway and listen to the noise. We take the option to the south, all to ourselves and a few others.

Set up camp. Detach and we have never encountered any problems. There is a NFS or BLM or Bureau of Reclamation restrooms. Set up in the wide open area if you are concerned about your trailer, or among the trees along the river for security, as no one can tell if you are present or not.

Traveling to Jackson you can also stop at the Jackson Fish Hatchery on the NE side of town on the way to the Grand Tetons.

With your length... cross the river and find a nice spot. Hundreds of trailers could set up there. I took a photo in 2007 with a 23 foot. Did not for the open area... this year. Top of the fuel in Alpine and head north to Jackson.

Also drive up Shadow Mountain on the east side of the highway across from the Grand Teton. We Boondocked with the 23 foot with room for many trailers, as well as the Horse Trailers to enjoy the ride on National Forest property.

The scene from our window in 2012. You can judge if you feel comfortable driving up the short NFS steep road to the top with a 25 foot. Room for 1.5 lanes. Go up early and leave late to avoid oncoming vehicles. A 23 foot was easy with a 4x4 Tundra 4.7L. Met a tour van coming up on our way... out. There was a pull out I backed into so they could pass... and we were back to the bottom.

Although a parking area at the base of Shadow Mountain for hikers... or drive the tow vehicle up and judge if your like a bit of Western Fun and great campsites....

Most with a RV or Trailer look at Shadow Mountain and... have their blood drain out of their bodies... thinking of what can go wrong. We think about the minor inconveniences if it works out! Try it, you can tell us all about it.

The horse trailers grab the pine tree camp sites. Take the road to the north and find the other way in and out. We did not. Some day... we will... again. It was worth the effort. This route may be better than the south route we took in and out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2187.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	409284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2820.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	409285  

Name:	DSCN2811.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	409288   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2849.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	409289  

Old 12-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Jackson , Wyoming
[QUOTE=Ray Eklund;2562277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post
with a Long Bed Dually truck?

West of Alpine, Wyoming is a Government Reservoir and Highway 26 takes you to the Snake River Dam (Palisade Reservoir). To the south is a hillside of fee campsites for Trailers... although popular, many do not want to be close to Jackson... nor Alpine. I do not recall the cost, but reasonable. We were there in 2007.

Camping spots at High Season north of Jackson? Find these convenient Off the Grid sites. Alpine... is great for fuel, food, restaurants, grocery store.

We now Boondock for free at:

Less than eight miles West, you will find free Boondocking along the Snake River. On the north side it is not as wide open for Off the Grid anywhere parking.... but cross the river and there are a hundred acres or more of gravel/boulder open area and among the trees.

Some people like to park their trailers next to a highway and listen to the noise. We take the option to the south, all to ourselves and a few others.

Set up camp. Detach and we have never encountered any problems. There is a NFS or BLM or Bureau of Reclamation restrooms. Set up in the wide open area if you are concerned about your trailer, or among the trees along the river for security, as no one can tell if you are present or not.

Traveling to Jackson you can also stop at the Jackson Fish Hatchery on the NE side of town on the way to the Grand Tetons.

With your length... cross the river and find a nice spot. Hundreds of trailers could set up there. I took a photo in 2007 with a 23 foot. Did not for the open area... this year. Top of the fuel in Alpine and head north to Jackson.

Also drive up Shadow Mountain on the east side of the highway across from the Grand Teton. We Boondocked with the 23 foot with room for many trailers, as well as the Horse Trailers to enjoy the ride on National Forest property.

The scene from our window in 2012. You can judge if you feel comfortable driving up the short NFS steep road to the top with a 25 foot. Room for 1.5 lanes. Go up early and leave late to avoid oncoming vehicles. A 23 foot was easy with a 4x4 Tundra 4.7L. Met a tour van coming up on our way... out. There was a pull out I backed into so they could pass... and we were back to the bottom.

Although a parking area at the base of Shadow Mountain for hikers... or drive the tow vehicle up and judge if your like a bit of Western Fun and great campsites....

Most with a RV or Trailer look at Shadow Mountain and... have their blood drain out of their bodies... thinking of what can go wrong. We think about the minor inconveniences if it works out! Try it, you can tell us all about it.

The horse trailers grab the pine tree camp sites. Take the road to the north and find the other way in and out. We did not. Some day... we will... again. It was worth the effort. This route may be better than the south route we took in and out.
Shadow Mountain is now designated campsites only. There is still dispersed camping up the Gris Ventre River above Lower Slide Lake and the USFS Atherton Creek CG.
gzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:27 PM   #23

2015 30' International
Douglasville , Georgia
Grand Tetons

We finally got reservations for Flagg Ranch in the Grand Tetons, for June 2022. We have a 2500 Chevrolet and a 30 foot international. The campsite is large enough, we wanted to stay at Colter Bay, but it was so difficult to get a site, they do have site for up to 40 feet, just hard to get reservations, usually by 8 am on the day you try to get six months out it is gone. We also found out that you need a National Park Pass, which helps with the campsite price, which includes double the campsite price if you want water.

Has anybody been to the Grand Tetons in their airstream? and are the roads steep and narrow?

Mike Lankford
MLankford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The main roads through GTNP and the southern loop of Yellowstone are all Federal Highways and in good shape. All are 2 lane. There are places with medium grades but nothing really challenging. If you tow into Yellowstone, there are spots where the drop-off on the east side of the road will have your co-pilots attention…

Fuel is pricey in the parks so top off before driving in.

There is fuel and propane at Flagg. There are groceries at Colter but $$$. Great pizza at Leaks Marina in GTNP.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Jackson , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLankford View Post
We finally got reservations for Flagg Ranch in the Grand Tetons, for June 2022. We have a 2500 Chevrolet and a 30 foot international. The campsite is large enough, we wanted to stay at Colter Bay, but it was so difficult to get a site, they do have site for up to 40 feet, just hard to get reservations, usually by 8 am on the day you try to get six months out it is gone. We also found out that you need a National Park Pass, which helps with the campsite price, which includes double the campsite price if you want water.

Has anybody been to the Grand Tetons in their airstream? and are the roads steep and narrow?

Mike Lankford
Roads in southern Grand Teton National Park are flat as a pancake. There are a few hills in the northern end as you pass Jackson Lake and approach Yellowstone. One caution: I’ve owned 16, 19, 23 and now 25 foot Airstreams. Have always had good tow vehicles. There is not a single one I wanted to tow over Teton Pass from Victor, ID. There are three other ways into Jackson Hole (not including the route south from Yellowstone. Any of those three are fine.
gzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #26
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Well, for now all of the sites are booked up. After trying nightly at midnight eastern time and even Central Time the two week windows were gone at exactly midnight.

I may check a couple of weeks before June the 30th, but since that is so close to the July 4th I don't hold out any hope of getting in.

I just want to say Thank You for all the responses here. At least I know where to check going forward thanks to all of you.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #27
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Keep looking, especially closer to your trip dates. We got into Yellowstone and Coulter Bay last August with back to back dates because of others cancellations only two weeks in advance.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Mandeville , Louisiana
You can fit

Quote:

I am in the process of putting together out trip in late June next summer. I am trying to figured out if I can get into the any of the RV sites in the Grand Teton National Park. My gut feeling is it is probably too tight on the roads. However, I figured I would ask if any of you have any experience with this over the past year. The reason I say lately is because I've read that the paths have narrowed due to tress growth over the past year.

This would be easier if it didn't require reservations 6 months to the second in order to get the site I would have a change at getting into.

Thanks!
We went this past July and stayed. There’s plenty of room. We have the 27fb with a 2500 Suburban Diesel. We fit nicely. We stayed in the campground with our generators. My son was in the RV park with full hookups in his 37ft Jayco Seneca with his Jeep. All good.
Tcitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
La Jolla , California
We’ve stayed in Colter Bay RV Park (FHU) and Colter Bay Campground (no hookups) and you can definitely find sites to fit your setup. The roads getting in to the Colter Bay area are all highways, so no issues with that either.
GoneStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
34' Airstream + 22' F-350 SRW = 56'

We spent a pleasant week in CBG last summer in our 34' Classic LTD towed by a F-350 long bed SRW and had no camping/parking issues. There were plenty of spots that could accommodate us and plenty that wouldn't. Park hosts worked this out on an individual basis.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Try Headwaters

Quote:

I am in the process of putting together out trip in late June next summer. I am trying to figured out if I can get into the any of the RV sites in the Grand Teton National Park. My gut feeling is it is probably too tight on the roads. However, I figured I would ask if any of you have any experience with this over the past year. The reason I say lately is because I've read that the paths have narrowed due to tress growth over the past year.

This would be easier if it didn't require reservations 6 months to the second in order to get the site I would have a change at getting into.

Thanks!
We stayed at Headwaters Campground just south of Yellowstone. Ours is a 28ft with standard bed, but some sites looked like they had space for a 30 ft with long bed. Convenient to both Teton and Yellowstone parks.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
A little trick for you. Install a front hitch on the pickup, you can maneuver into much tighter campsites that way. I prefer to remove the Passenger side tow hook and put the receiver tube there as it lets me see one side of the trailer from the drivers seat.

Have a great trip.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
Gros Venture was no problem with 26' flying cloud and f-150. Now have 250 superduty and looking back it would be no problem either. Gros Venture was a much nicer, less crowded campground than Colter.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwayne View Post
Gros Venture was no problem with 26' flying cloud and f-150. Now have 250 superduty and looking back it would be no problem either. Gros Venture was a much nicer, less crowded campground than Colter.
Second that! We visit/stay in Tetons few times each summer. Colter Bay RV park is very crowded and expensive for sure. Reservations for all these campgrounds are very difficult now days with the system. I agree Gros Ventures is a great location, with larger campsites, but again, reservations is your challenge. We stayed in both campgrounds this past summer and lucked out to get in to Colter Bay thru cancelation. They're moving to the NP reservation system this year like all the other campgrounds so good luck! Their are several boondocking state campgrounds in the area, if you look on line that are still first come/first served...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:45 AM   #35
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
I got a reservation at Colter Bay RV Park yesterday!
Old 12-31-2021, 09:04 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I got a reservation at Colter Bay RV Park yesterday!
Wow; you need to go get a lotto ticket now! We stayed in Colter bay 2 different times this past summer with cancelations. If you have not been there, the location is great. Good fishing down below the dam, lots of animal (grizz) activity in the area in spring time, and lots of great hikes. Jackson about 40 min drive...tip- if going to Jackson, go early in the day...great shopping if you need to get anything. The popular lakes and hikes get pretty crowded late morning. When you going?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-31-2021, 11:34 AM   #37
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Yes, I feel a bit lucky. I had 5 tabs open with different sites I was interested in booking. I was finally successful on the 3rd one. I am sure having a 600 MBit fiber connection didn't hurt either.

I've been in Jackson many times over the past 10 years. I know it very well.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:58 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Yes, I feel a bit lucky. I had 5 tabs open with different sites I was interested in booking. I was finally successful on the 3rd one. I am sure having a 600 MBit fiber connection didn't hurt either.

I've been in Jackson many times over the past 10 years. I know it very well.
Maybe see you there in June! Enjoy! (by the way, which reservation system are they using now; did they switch over to the NP systems?)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #39

2015 30' International
Douglasville , Georgia
We have reservations at Flagg Ranch the first of June. We live in Georgia and was looking at taking the route up via Nashville, Nebraska, does anyone have favorite campgrounds they have stayed in along the way? Or have a better route suggestion.
MLankford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
We traveled in our 2009 30’ Classic with a slide and stayed at Gros Ventre without issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F016B39E-14E0-43A8-BDD1-50A672A04DB5.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	410251  
Tyrinius is offline   Reply With Quote