Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
Living the Dream

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Lantana , Texas
Grand Junction to Salida Colorado

I am planning a return trip to Texas from Grand Junction, Co via Salida on Hwy 50. Pulling a 26U Flying Cloud with RAM 1500 Hemi.
Any comments on suggestions on this plan.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Brad Spirito
bspirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
Furthur

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Golden , Colorado
There is an ongoing major construction project on highway 50 between Montrose and Gunnison, with complete closures of the highway at times during the week. See the following website for detailed information:
https://www.codot.gov/news/2021/apri...-creek-detours
Other than that, you should be fine, but I suspect you will want to do an alternate route due to the construction.
WP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I drive US 50 between Grand Jct. and Pueblo a lot. Between Montrose and Gunnison there is a 5 mile section being rebuilt and it will go on until nearly the end of the next year. The highway is open both ways from Friday evening until early Monday morning. They do have alternating one way traffic several times during weekdays, but can make you wait for hours and turn you back if they want.

The detour is Colo. 92 from Delta to Crawford to Blue Mesa Reservoir and will take a lot more time. The part from Crawford to Blue Mesa is narrow and has many blind curves. They say they have improved it (maybe they added guardrails). It is a beautiful drive, but if you have trouble with mountain driving, you may not be looking at the scenery. I have driven that route scores of times and it gets tedious when you've done it a lot, but it is spectacular. Blue Mesa Res. is lower than we ever seen it this year, but we have had monsoon rains lately.

I-70 to Denver has been plagued by mudslides this year, especially through Glenwood Canyon. The mud is a result of fires eliminating the vegetation and heavy rains this summer. We love the rain here, but not the mud.

Another alternative is going to Moab via I-70 west, south on US 191, turn left at Monticello to Cortez and Durango and either take US 160 east to Walsenberg and I-25, or going further south to NM at Durango.

On US 50, there are several passes between GJ and Salida, the highest being Monarch. Go slow going down. East of Salida you go through the Arkansas River canyon for 40 or 50 miles, kind of slow, but pretty. We stay at Haggards RV Park, several miles west of Pueblo West. Nice people and always good to us. We are here right now visiting my 96 year old mother-in-law in Pueblo. Pueblo are does not have much in campgrounds, but Haggards seems to be the best. Prices along the way at campgrounds are way up this year.

Ask more if you have more questions...

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I took the detour around the reservoir in May, towing my Airstream. I found it to be an easy drive, and very beautiful. It was definitely a bit slow, but it was nice.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I took the detour around the reservoir in May, towing my Airstream. I found it to be an easy drive, and very beautiful. It was definitely a bit slow, but it was nice.
No doubt. We live on mountains, many Texans do not. Depends who you are and what you are used to.

I miss Evergreen. I lived there 22 years and saw many feet of snow (over all around 250’). I don’t miss the traffic. We probably drove 92 from Crawford to the reservoir more than 50 times, sometimes with an Airstream. We lived near Crawford for more than a dozen years. We’ve gone from Ponderosa forest to piñon/juniper dessert forest on a mesa.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
You’re in a pretty part of the state too, it’s just different.

We love Evergreen, but it has gotten a bit crowded. The lake is insane now with people coming up from Denver. I live within walking distance of the lake, and on the weekends there are many cars parked along both sides of Upper Bear Creek Rd.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 07-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
You’re in a pretty part of the state too, it’s just different.

We love Evergreen, but it has gotten a bit crowded. The lake is insane now with people coming up from Denver. I live within walking distance of the lake, and on the weekends there are many cars parked along both sides of Upper Bear Creek Rd.
When I came to Evergreen in 1978, locals were complaining about all the people who moved there after I-70 was opened. I was complaining in the early 1990's about all the people moving from California. Now people in Grand Jct. are complaining about all the people moving from Denver. It never stops.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
You got that right! It never stops! We have tons of California people moving here too.

Do you remember the old Troutdale in the Pines hotel? It would have been closed down and boarded up in 1978, having closed in the early 1960s. It sat in ruins until the late 1990s, when it was demolished and homes were built in the area. My house is literally on he footprint of the old hotel. The retaining wall in my backyard is part of the original foundation of the hotel. So there's a bit of Evergreen history for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Troutdale in the Pines.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	400636  

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 07-30-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yes I remember Troutdale. There was an effort to rehab it around the time I moved to Evergreen. Troutdale was a famous resort before WW II and many famous people stayed there. I was sorry to see it go. I think the cost of doing anything from making it a resort to housing were all too expensive. Unused buildings decline rapidly.

I hope the OP has figured out what he wants to do.