Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2016, 05:33 AM   #1
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Grand Isle, La, road conditions

Planning on getting out of here as soon as the ice will let us, and looking at heading to Grand Isle. Anyone familiar with the road conditions, i.e. rough from New Orleans south? Also all of the recent flooding had any impact on LA's roads?
Finally, any recommendations/advice about Grand Isle would also be greatly appreciated.
See you on the road
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Haven't been down there in a few years, but it is a slow and pretty drive, especially for we Yankees who are unaccustomed to fish markets every 1/4 mile or so and houses on stilts both sides of the road.

They were not allowing dogs on the beach last time we were there, as there was a new park manager who interpreted the city ordinance to cover the state park beach, as well.

Enjoy!

Maggie
Old 12-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I go down several times a year. I was down that way a couple of weeks ago. To me once getting thru NO it is an enjoyable drive. Road is typical Louisiana. Not particularly rough but there are a few wavy sections but overall they are in good shape. I take back roads as much as possible and try to stay off major highways. The park is as always in good condition with a friendly staff and group of volunteers. I love the beach down there because it is so natural. There are few eateries or grocery stores on the island so best to take everything you need. Mosquitos (Louisiana state bird) can be a real PITA. They are so mutated that they are immune to most known repellents. If they are swarming there is little you can do. Grand Isle is the only place I bother with putting up the trailer sun room enclosure. You might get lucky and not have any problem with them. I would go as prepared as you can just in case they are out. If you are a fisherman there are a number of local commercial boats that can get you on the fish. The two main industries down that way are oil and fishing. The only time I have seen the campground full was during the annual fishing tournament. The rest of the year it is very laid back and relaxing area. Careful believing your GPS down that way. Double check your route on a current map. If you get lucky there might be a Cajun festival or two going on in the area. If you have the time for some additional traveling South Louisiana is great place for Cajun food and music.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Forgot to say contrary to what some web sites are still saying you no longer have to pre purchase a toll pass prior to coming on to the causeway to the island. You now pay at a toll both.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 12-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It may seem obvious, but watch your speed thru the small towns on the way south of New Orleans. Golden Meadow was well know as a place that will send you off with a little $$$ memento of your trip thru their jurisdiction.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
It may seem obvious, but watch your speed thru the small towns on the way south of New Orleans. Golden Meadow was well know as a place that will send you off with a little $$$ memento of your trip thru their jurisdiction.

Good reminder that is true anywhere in this great land. Slow down and enjoy the journey. That is what it is all about after all.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Just tagging in to follow along; we plan on dropping by middle of January. It looks like drive ups in January isn't a problem. For future reference, does anyone know how to use the National Parks Senior Pass with Reserve America Reservations ? According to GISP website, they offer a discount with the NP Senior Pass.
TinTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
The state park is one of the best, large sites, clean facilities and W/D included. Fishing is recommended if season is right. The roads past NO were not a problem when we traveled in 2015 - I-10 E/W is not good with single axle but otherwise roads were OK but haven't been recently. One real store on the island but has most everything. I was not a fan of the beach there as it had lots of floating debris in the water and trash on the beach. I did like the privacy of the beach and area,
Have fun!
LittleLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I haven't been there for a couple of years, but then a good flood might have improved the east-west interstate in Southern LA. I vowed never to go there again.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Drive UNDER the posted speed limit when driving thru Golden Meadow. 1 MPH over will result in a citation. I never got one, but heeded the warnings from friends.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Grand Isle State Park & Rt 182 question

This is one very nice state park, clean and maintained, very impressive. The drive here is beautiful, great natural beach and not many people this time of year. The mosquitos are HUGE and very happy to see you. We are going to be here a couple more days and plan on buying some fresh seafood, but the restaurants are few and the only one we tried was pretty ordinary. We are looking at different route to Palmetto Island and wondered about route 182 opposed to 90, and would appreciate some more great advice.
Can't wait to get to Shuck's in Abbeville.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You will find much better food after you get off the island. Not sure about 182. I think you will still end up on 90. Ask locally.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In February we are taking a slow road trip from New Mexico to Florida to see relatives. What is worth visiting on the way? Not as interested in New Orleans or other big cities as Louisiana nature and off the beaten track.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This isn't necessarily the best place to ask this question, or post an answer, but Louisiana outside of NOLA is worth a full week or so.

Somewhere in rally archives is a thread for one on a road trip to Louisiana, that was cancelled for lack of interest, but our favorite places and areas are laid out in there, with pictures and links.

I'll try to find it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-52845.html

Maggie
Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
What is Grand Isle weather like in February?