Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Grand Canyon & Yellowstone

With the onset of Winter our thoughts have, of course, turned to next summer's travel plans. I visited Yellowstone in 1978 and, as memory serves me (---usually not too well!,) we arrived there in early to mid June. We did not visit the Grand Canyon on that trip due to being warned that most of the services were not in operation (---U. S. Govt. funding problems.) My question is - when do the two parks, and the nearby private campgrounds, open for the season??? We need to be back in Maine fairly early in the summer but we could head West - using a Southern route if necessary - most any time after the first of the year.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Yellowstone

Yellowstone is open from May-Oct for RV camping in the park. There are several campgrounds within an hour drive. That said, it can snow or get REALLY cold pretty late in the year. Come prepared...but come!

Jerry

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I don't have a specific answer regarding what time the campgrounds open, but I think one of these sites should have the info.
Dave

http://www.grand.teton.national-park.com/camping.htm
http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/journal.html
http://www.rvpark.com/wy.htm
http://www.rvparksusa.com/wy.htm
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscinante
Yellowstone is open from May-Oct for RV camping in the park. There are several campgrounds within an hour drive. That said, it can snow or get REALLY cold pretty late in the year. Come prepared...but come!

Jerry
We got a mix of hail/snow/slush in early July last year in West Yellowstone, Mt.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
We were in Yellowstone this summer (early August) and had a delightful trip. Sounds like dates you are considering are a bit early, but hey, that's the real joy of having the trailer over tenting. We have done both and out there a trailer is the clear ticket (anytime). It will be cold at night.. you're getting into the mountains... but you will have the advantage of the animals still being in the lower elevations. The trip should be perfect (great animal viewing-fewer crowds). We have camped as early as late May and as late as October 8th. Both were very chilly, but back then we were in tents! You'll have the benefit of heat! I say GO FOR IT! Who cares about the weather! Have fun!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
You MAY be able to tow a trailer into Yellowstone before the first of July, depending on the route you take into the park, and the weather conditions between now and then.

According to skykingpilot "I say GO FOR IT! Who cares about the weather!" But you may have to do as I'm guessing he'd want to do --Take a helicopter --if you want to be certain about getting into, and through, Yellowstone before July because it can be rather hard to negotiate those mountain passes if the roads are closed.

John

ps - I spend the entire summer and fall on the Yellowstone River about 35 miles north of the Park.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
The week before Memorial Day is when most things get started.

We are also looking at a trip for '08
Fishing Bridge campground for the location and animal viewing.

Best trip I have had to see the Grand Canyon was back in the '80s when the goverment was under shutdown...
No charge at any of the parks, and very low crowds.
Was around Thanksgiving...now my favorite time for southwest travel.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:49 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Grand Canyon (South Rim) is open all year and camping is available on a limited basis in the winter. The North Rim is open from Mid -May untill Mid - October. Winter weather could close the road to the North Rim. I like the North Rim much better, it is less crowded and has a much better view of the canyon. Reservations are a must for either area in the summer months.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Thanks for all of the comments and information. I may be out of luck unless I can rearrange next summer's schedule a bit. I always thought that being retired would mean being "footloose and fancy free" - but it doesn't seem to be working out that way!!!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Cracker---as for the Grand canyon --the north rim open May 15 weather permitting, closes Oct 15. The south is open year round with 2 campgrounds inside the park--one concessionare run full hook up and the park service operated mather camp, no hook ups. both are first come first sserve during the winter. The is not a time when there are no crowds there but don't let that stop you. We live close by{275 mile} and are frequent visitors. This summer we will be workamping on the south rim. it's a great place that you couldn't see all in a lifetime. enjoy-- pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Virginia City , Nevada
goldenage passport

I assume this is a given (age 62 and over), but don't forget to get and take your Golden Age Passport when traveling to these places. Good at National Park Serv and BLM places, etc.
edwmart is offline   Reply With Quote