Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
Paul

1979 29' Ambassador
Woodinville , Washington
GPS system evaluation

Has anybody had experiance with GPS systems Garman, Delormie
Magellion... or others.. I'm looking for information on Pro's and Con's which one works well.. Stand alone systems or lap top...
Old 10-28-2002, 04:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Thread

Thread

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:47 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Duxbury , Massachusetts
Lightbulb GPS

We have Delorme Street Atlas 7.0 and Map n Go 6.0 along with a CoPilot 2001 with GPS. We use a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop computer on a Jotto Desk stand in the '98 Chev. Suburban.
We went to the Delorme factory in Maine and discussed their products with them and tried to get the GPS from the CoPilot to work with their products unsuccessfully.
The planning modes on the Delorme products are good. I think they are pretty easy to work with.
I bought the CoPilot 2001 because a friend tested both the Delorme and CoPilot at the same time and defended the CoPilot to be much better in accuracy, but stunk on planning.
I find the accuracy with the CoPilot to be excellent and am slowly learning to plan with it. I am finding out new ways to plan trips and save them so all you have to do is choose the trip and drive.
One thing you'll learn when you buy which ever product, it is updated each year because roads and off ramps change.
Example: The CoPilot told us to exit left just ahead and we missed the "new" exit on the right. You still have to read and decipher signs....these GPSs are not fool proof.
It would be nice to get into the tow vehicle or the MH and tell the GPS where you're going by pointing to a spot on the map and the rest is done for you. There are so many variables with RVing though. These computers still don't tell you where LP gas and trucks aren't allowed. It is all important here in the east that you not travel on/over/in bridges, tunnels, and boulevards.
I understand that Delorme is NOT going to produce the Street Atlas again....it seems that AAA is going off on their own.

Hope this info helps.
Rich
LTD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 05:50 AM   #4
Paul

1979 29' Ambassador
Woodinville , Washington
GPS

Thanks guy's for the replies.. The information is helpful..if there any more threads out there If would appreciate knowing.. Thanks again you can't beat first hand experiance..