Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Washington , District of Columbia
Count your blessings. You're not truly lucky until you're told that you are exempted and have to work without pay until the shutdown is over.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My sister and her husband were at Paris Landing, Land Between the Lakes TVA park. They were told this morning to depart by tomorrow (Wednesday). They were on a rally and everyone picked up and moved to a KOA in the area.

Local news did some stories tonight about a corp of engineers lake about 50 miles east of St. Louis in Illinois (Carlyle Lake). Those folks camped there were told to leave by tomorrow. They interview one gal whose husband had set up the trailer and then went back to work. He was planning on coming back over the weekend. She's got no vehicle and can't tow, so he's got to come back tomorrow.

I'm camping at a corp lake (Table Rock), near Branson Mo., in a couple of weeks but fortunately staying at a state park campground which is unaffected by the Federal shutdown. Corp of Engineer campgrounds on the same lake are a different matter though.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
Old 10-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it looks like walmart will be busy!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Hopefully this will be resolved quickly once everyone is through thumping their chests. It gives things a different perspective when you hear from people who are directly affected - thanks go to everyone who has spoken up. Thanks for that, and for the work you do that makes our lives better.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
Not to get too political, but aren't the national and state parks, museums etc. the only government myrmidons that are actually producing a viable product and bringing in income through admission fees? Let's shut those down first.
Given that many of us Airstreamers are on the $10 for a lifetime Federal Use Passes, I wonder how much income is being generated. I, for one, think it ought to be $10 per year, at least. If I can afford an Airstream, I can afford it.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My season at Yellowstone ended yesterday. We had planned to play "tourist" on the way out today but everything was coned off. We stopped to do a walk-around by Kepler Cascades and a Ranger shooed us away. Yesterday I was in the same uniform...

Leaving the West Gate, it was really sad. At least a hundred vehicles lined up and a half dozen highly stressed out Rangers explaining over and over again why the gates are closed. Don't envy either group.

Sucks.

Mike
Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I have reservations at a National Forest Campground in California next week. The campground is managed by a private management company called Parks Management Campgrounds. I just found out through their Facebook page that the campground will remain open (Yay!)since it is privately managed. Good news for me, but I feel for all the other Federal Employees that were furloughed. Hopefully a compromise will be struck soon.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomcatA View Post
Given that many of us Airstreamers are on the $10 for a lifetime Federal Use Passes, I wonder how much income is being generated. I, for one, think it ought to be $10 per year, at least. If I can afford an Airstream, I can afford it.
As a point of reference, that $10 stayed in the district where you purchased the pass. Probably put to better use than if it went into that black hole known as DC.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I work for the contractor that operates The National Center for Atmospheric Research and we are funded by The National Science Foundation. So far it is work as normal, we flew our Gulfstream V today on a research mission. The C-130 is down for scheduled maintenance and I worked on the O2 system all day, before I went to be with my mom who is still in the hospital after a fall.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I have reservations at a National Forest Campground in California next week. The campground is managed by a private management company called Parks Management Campgrounds. I just found out through their Facebook page that the campground will remain open (Yay!)since it is privately managed. Good news for me, but I feel for all the other Federal Employees that were furloughed. Hopefully a compromise will be struck soon.
I recall you plan to go to Kirk Creek. Let me know how it works out. I've got reservations in two weeks. There's no water or anything except parking there (and a killer view).

Frankly I think its BS they shut down recreation.gov. due to lack of budget. Its not like the government can't afford a little electric bill for a computer. Better service would be to explain status of each park.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I was on my last trip of the year to Glacier NP. Well, I had to change my plans. Tonight I am in a NF campground in Montana that they always leave the gate open on, and drop all fees. So ends the season in the NW. Hope I can find other ones of this type and have a good time still.

Cold here anyway, has been under 50 for several days, and is 39 as I type this in the comfort of my Airstream, on battery power, with my MiFi.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
San Diego Area Closures

If you are visiting San Diego, California, please be advised that Cabrillo National Monument and some recreational facilities in the Cleveland National Forest are currently closed due to the shutdown of the federal government as reported locally:

"Cabrillo Monument, Campgrounds, Closed By Gov't Shutdown"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2313 Docent at Cabrillo National Monument.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	196890  
Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #33
BicycleStreamers

2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
My season at Yellowstone ended yesterday. We had planned to play "tourist" on the way out today but everything was coned off. We stopped to do a walk-around by Kepler Cascades and a Ranger shooed us away. Yesterday I was in the same uniform...

Leaving the West Gate, it was really sad. At least a hundred vehicles lined up and a half dozen highly stressed out Rangers explaining over and over again why the gates are closed. Don't envy either group.

Sucks.

Mike
We had a similar experience trying to get into Acadia National park yesterday. The rangers had posted a sign saying we would receive a full refund on our credit card for our prepaid week of fun. Poor timing on our part haven driven cross country to visit Maine during leaf season. A local campground got our business instead and will cost us twice as much!

The CG is seeing more business but are very worried for the community because huge cruise ships will quit stopping here and that affects the whole community in a big way!

The weather is beautiful so we'll jump on our bikes today and see if rodes are also closed to bikes.

"Don't forget, be excellent to each other!" Bill or Ted
Old 10-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #34

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We had reservations for all of next week at a couple of different Federal Parks and now searching for the "best" commercial CG. Kinda sucks but we will make the best of our Southern History tour. . We think we have Little Rock Arkansas and Memphis area covered but any Nashville recommendations?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Folks I have a great deal of feelings about what is going on, but I will keep my mouth shut. It would not stop me from camping. I would spend the night at Wal-Mart, Pilot / Flying J or private campgrounds. Being in my trailer and traveling the unknown is very inviting to me. If I was off from work I would invite you all to pull your trailers to my property and we would have a big party.

Brian
Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Georgia State Parks open
georgia state and national parks closed
Georgia state parks and historic sites remain open » Daily Updates »

Brian
Old 10-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I recall you plan to go to Kirk Creek. Let me know how it works out. I've got reservations in two weeks. There's no water or anything except parking there (and a killer view).

Frankly I think its BS they shut down recreation.gov. due to lack of budget. Its not like the government can't afford a little electric bill for a computer. Better service would be to explain status of each park.
The little inconvience you are experiencing is just a hiccup. Remember evryone must suffer so the few can be treated right. LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE and you will get to camp again.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #38
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We were on a tour of the big parks and monuments in the the SW (Four Corners area), and are now working our way home to Oregon. We're trying to see things that are controlled at a state level, or things like Antelope Canyon, which is on Navajo land. I'm angry and disappointed, but the real shame is the impact to those who depend on a functioning/functional government for their livelihood.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I work for the state and the politicians almost never got a budget on time. We were told to keep working and that we're probably get paid. Those that didn't show up to work got AWOL. Once it went on for three months. The least they can do is refund prepaid camping reservation fees for days lost.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Here is a link to their Facebook page. No water and campfire restrictions are in place. Bring your propane fire pit if you have one, as those are OK.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kirk-...s/431582900260
Closed Thread