Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Vancouver , British Columbia
good site near Portland?

Can anyone lead us to some good sites around the Portland area? We live in BC and are unfamiliar with the area. We are having a hard time finding anything on the net. We will be there in August.
thanks!
Buffysairst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
what kind of sites are you looking for? and how close to portland do you want to be? plenty of good camping spots close by.
there are several state parks in the gorge that have camping, as well as many sites along the coast - most are state parks. some will be full but others have same day spots available if you arrive around noon.
cbcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #3

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
We love Stub Stewart State Park in Vernonia. You can also try Champoeg State Park. If you head over to the Oregon Coast Nehalem Bay, Ft. Stevens are great State Parks and Sea & Sand Good Sam is amazing if you can get on the first tier just above the ocean.

Safe travels - enjoy!!
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Oregon has an outstanding state park system, and there are several around Portland. I guess it depends on what side of town you want to be, and how often you might be visiting the city. We like Ainsworth State Park, right near Multnomah Falls, and great hiking. They have full hookups, and it is reasonably convenient for day trips into Portland at what I'd guess to be about 25 miles. You can find it on the OSP website in the Columbia River Gorge/Mt Hood section.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Visiting State Parks - Find A Park
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Silver Falls is a favorite of ours. It is just one hour out of Portland. The park has lots of private spaces nestled under old growth trees. There's also a lot to do! Lots of hiking past 10 miles of beautiful waterfalls.

Champoeg is just 20 minutes out of Portland. Lots of bike riding and you're just minutes away from the famous Woodburn Outlet Malls.

Mt. Hood is also host to many, many gorgeous, albeit, more rustic campground. They're some of our favorites! No hook ups so you have to be prepared to dry camp.

We live in Portland and have had our Airstream for just under a year. There are so many great places to camp here, we've never really driven more than 3 hours from home

Good luck...I don't think you'll be disappointed. Oregon is a beautiful state...ESPECIALLY in the summer!!

-Kim

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Here are a few pics from Silver Falls....The hikes past these falls are short and fairly easy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	158510   Click image for larger version

Name:	60.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	158511  

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	644.1 KB
ID:	158512   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	535.0 KB
ID:	158513  

The Small Small Trailer
Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Going to add one more State Park that we like about 1.5 hours out of Portland down the Columbia River Gorge...Memaloose State Park. If you're in the area it is a great base camp for visiting Multnomah Falls (biggest tourist attraction in Oregon), Hood River (famous for wind surfing) and Rowena Crest. You camp along the river under huge willow and cotton wood trees. It's a full hook up campground.

There is also a private campground located just across the bridge in Washington State http://www.timberlakecampgroundandrvpark.com/home.html
We stayed one night this winter and thought it was great!

I've included a few photos of Memaloose State Park (and vicinity) Here:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	99.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	158517   Click image for larger version

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	158518  

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	158519   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	158520  

The Small Small Trailer
Old 06-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
So I'll piggy back on this post and ask for some suggestions from "people in the know"

We're doing a 2 week road trip in July from California to the Canadian Boarder and back. We'll be winding and cris-crossing the states along the way. We've book about everything except a day in Portland. We'll be coming up from the Oregon Dunes to Portland then taking I-84 east over to the wine country in south-east Washington.

We'd like to spend a day in Portland but do not want to have to tow the Airstream around in a big city. We really just need a safe place to leave the Airstream while we do the urban adventure of Portland for a day. Most of the RV campgrounds we have found online in the Portland area have terrible reviews online, sounds like mostly homeless people in run down RV's living in the parks, not travelers...

Does anyone have any ideas? I've even thought about calling the local Airstream dealer to see if we could pay them to let us leave it there for the day.

Any advice would be truly appreciated!
Cyberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
We're planning a trip this fall and will be in the Portland area for a few days. Can anyone comment on Sandy Riverfront RV Park in Trouutdale?

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We are going to be in the area at Portland Fairview RV Park. Can anyone comment on it as well? Buffysairst, we will be looping through BC from Texas with our AS so we might see you on the road!
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
A few months ago we discovered the APP "Allstays" which we keep on our iPad. It is really handy, especially as compared to the Good Sam book which we used for years. Coming up from Crescent City, CA from our last rally we used the APP to find a great little campground in Florence, OR called Harbor Vista County Park. It had good reviews, inexpensive, private campsites, and only 3 sites occupied (Tuesday night).

If you go north to the Portland area there are lots of campgrounds outside of the city proper within an hours driving distance, and as someone mentioned above, the Oregon State Parks are great places to stay.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
...And Monah mentioned Champoeg. Our club holds its season-ending rally there each year and it is so nice! From there you could be in Portland in 30-45 minutes.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
We are Also Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffysairst View Post
Can anyone lead us to some good sites around the Portland area? We live in BC and are unfamiliar with the area. We are having a hard time finding anything on the net. We will be there in August.
thanks!
We would like to spend about two days in Portland, seeing various sights in the city.

Does anyone have experience with a decent RV park close in to the city that could b e used as a base camp to see Portland. Driving for an hour to get into Portland is a bit far.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
There is an RV park close to the airport on Marine Drive. It is nice and clean and was expanded not too long ago. It is very close to everything as it is in the city limits. You may hear some noise from the planes as it is very near the landing strip but I see a lot of RVs there.
Columbia River RV Park
Also there is a great place to eat and drink right on the water nearby called "The Deck".
SafariSogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
In edit - I realize now you're talking about Portland, OR, not ME! I love being helpful :-)

I'll leave the rest in case anyone's interested :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffysairst View Post
thanks!
Hello! DW and I just got back from a New England Unit rally at Hemlock Grove campground in Arundel, ME - it is about 15 miles from Portland.

The owners and staff are WONDERFUL! They treated us all so well! Not a huge campground but the sites are lovely and spacious - most are nicely shaded, we were in the 80s this weekend but being in the shade, we didn't even need our AC - just fantastic fans and open windows. Right on route 1, you're not far from Portland, Kennebunk or our favorite beach on the planet, Ogunquit.

We really loved it! I would also recommend getting the AllStays app. It's pricey at $10 but worth it for sure! Tons of sites an other useful info for wherever you're headed.

Enjoy!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Columbia River RV park is best bet and only six miles from downtown. You are close to Max station so you can train downtown the Portland way. Reservations required.
RFR36 is offline   Reply With Quote