Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Good Sam versus AAA

Does anyone favor Good Sam over AAA for roadside help on trailer or tow vehicle?
Gofishtoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have no experience with roadside coverage from Good Sam, so take my info for what it's worth.

IMHO in most places you'll end up with the same tow companies, at least outside big-city areas where there's enough competition to have companies contract with just one.

I'd compare on price and benefits. I already had AAA because I buy my car insurance through them. Remember you have to buy the RV-level (Plus RV or Premier RV) from AAA or they won't tow both your trailer and tow vehicle, at least not as a covered event.

I don't know what Good Sam's insurance rates are like, but for the Airstream I did *NOT* go with AAA for my insurance... and someone backed into my truck & we did a claim the year I bought the Airstream, and the Progressive rate for my car and truck were way worse because I had "recent claim history" (even though it was fully paid by the OTHER party's insurance) so all that's worth figuring out first if you're going to get your roadside and insurance the same place.

Over time I've been pleased with AAA, but I've never had to have service while on a trip w/ the Airstream. They have good prices and convenient service on vehicle batteries and a whole slew of discounts at cooperating businesses. Good Sam has better discounts at campgrounds, it seems.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Insurance repairs

In the case of a minor damage claim (say under $5k) that is not your fault do not contact your insurance company. Contact the insurance company directly of the person that hit your vehicle. That info should be on the police report.

In the past 10 years we have been hit from behind 2 times. other party cited both times. we went straight to the offenders insurance company and got fixed up no problem.

No increase in our rates. this has worked well for us and was recommended we handle things this way many years ago by our State Farm Agent.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We had Good Sam our first year with our Interstate.

We never needed the insurance, but the worst thing about it was the flood of advertising and solicitations we received in the mail.

The 10% off Good Sam campgrounds is not worth it.

Switched to AAA and have loved it.

Maggie
Old 09-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
In the case of a minor damage claim (say under $5k) that is not your fault do not contact your insurance company. Contact the insurance company directly of the person that hit your vehicle. That info should be on the police report.

In the past 10 years we have been hit from behind 2 times. other party cited both times. we went straight to the offenders insurance company and got fixed up no problem.

No increase in our rates. this has worked well for us and was recommended we handle things this way many years ago by our State Farm Agent.
This may vary from state to state, or it may have specifically been an issue with GEICO (the other party's carrier) but we arrived at a point at which they simply refused to cooperate and suggested it wasn't their problem, etc. I involved AAA and GEICO toed the mark quite promptly. I'm guessing that Progressive would still have had the GEICO info even if they had gone the easy route. In the end all it cost me was a bit of frustration.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote