Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
getting through NYC

Colonial is adding solar and lithium to my Safari but they will be done soon and I will need to bring it back to New England. I did not enjoy the trip down so maybe I should ask advice for the trip back. I'm thinking George Washington and 95 all the way through? I live in Attleboro on the RI border and on 95 so at some level that makes sense. Thanks!
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I-95 never makes sense. There is no point on it's entire length where it makes sense. It's a terrible road to be on.

That said, the alternatives are *way* out of your way. The "normal" sneak path through NYC runs over to the Merritt Parkway. That's out towing a trailer.

Alternative one: Go up and over what they used to call the Tappan Zee bridge. You still are on 95 pretty soon. Advantage is you miss the GWB.

Alternative two: Go up over the Hudson on I-84 and then over through Danbury and Hartford. You add more than a bit to your travel time doing this. Advantage is a somewhat less "exciting" trip with somewhat less likelihood of multi-hour traffic jams.

Bottom line, none of these routes are all that great.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Lived there for 20 years, towing a trailer. Definitely my choice to go west and north to 84 and then east and drop down Danbury or any of the roads east from there.. Avoid any of the NY commute stuff.
The Tappan Zee can get stupid ugly slow....
A more miles route but much faster and not worrying about folks creaming you and the trailer.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Set your GPS for Stewart airport in Orange County NY. Once your crossing the Hudson reset it to Colonial.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Set your GPS for Stewart airport in Orange County NY. Once your crossing the Hudson reset it to Colonial.
Hi

Be a bit careful about the route through NJ. There are sections of the Garden State Parkway that are ( or used to be ) "no trucks". I found that out the hard way. In general no trucks also means no trailers. (even if that's not how it's posted). I've also found that out the hard way.

Bob
Old 10-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Waitsfield , VT
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Be a bit careful about the route through NJ. There are sections of the Garden State Parkway that are ( or used to be ) "no trucks". I found that out the hard way. In general no trucks also means no trailers. (even if that's not how it's posted). I've also found that out the hard way.

Bob
The "no trucks" refers to commercial trucks above a registered weight of 10,000 lbs. Though you have to be substantial heavier to get a trooper's attention. and that is north of mile post 109 in Central Jersey. South of that and you are good. RV's are fine the entire length.
dicktracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I know nothing about the area but I have to ask…

Are you in a hurry to get home?

And to the knowledgeable folks, is there a pleasant trip around NYC that might include some interesting camping?
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
And having lived there....the Garden state is good for trailers. But no NY parkways are good for trailers. So getting to the Garden state where you are good can be confusing. I84, drop down the Interstate and pick up the Interstate south before you come to the Garden State, it is better road. Now if going to Colonial then stay down to the Garden State to get to Colonial...just have an EZ Pass or pay the additional fee and spend the time at toll plazas.
Just keep in mind that in NY trailers on parkways bad juju. Parkways in NJ good to go. Its not what you say but what you mean with these state determinations.
Good luck regardless....it is not a fun ride in my opinion.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Quoting myself here. This will keep you clear of all NY parkways that don’t allow trailers. Once you cross the Hudson the Garden state parkway in NJ allows trailers.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktracy View Post
The "no trucks" refers to commercial trucks above a registered weight of 10,000 lbs. Though you have to be substantial heavier to get a trooper's attention. and that is north of mile post 109 in Central Jersey. South of that and you are good. RV's are fine the entire length.
Hi

Well, you can indeed catch their attention .... been there / done that.

Bob