Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Dahlonega , Georgia
Smile Georgia to California then Yellowstone! Suggestions?

Bob and I are leaving around the 1st of April for "the west". This is our maiden "long" voyage (only a few 1-2 day trips previously). We've visited the Grand Canyon area (all the National Parks nearby), Yellowstone, & Glacier National Park but, by car. So..... we're thinking we'll travel through the south to Texas and New Mexico then to California, north to Washington or over to Yellowstone (we love it there and want to make it part of this trip), then head east through North or South Dakota, Minnesota then start drifting toward home (Georgia). Any suggestions of places we should see, eat, camp, avoid, etc. are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
We lead the SW Adventure Caravan which basically covers the Four Corners area. Take a look at our website. Swadventure.wbcci.net to see the itinery and what we do. Perhaps you can get some ideas from that info. Places to see and places to camp.

Jay
jaydthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by socdiva View Post
Any suggestions of places we should see, eat, camp, avoid, etc. are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
My wife and I spend our summers on the Yellowstone River just north of Yellowstone National Park.

So my suggestion is that I would avoid California.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
I will watch closely

I will be interested to see what information you find out. I too plan to head west but later this summer or early fall. I too will make the first long trip from Georgia to places yet unknown. Last week I purchased a new 2500 HD to easily pull our 31foot. My plans are to connect the dots and visit as many National Parks as possible. I like you are interested in things to see along the way because in order to get there in my lifetime you have to run the interstate and you can miss so much. I live about 30 miles from you so when you return I would be interested in what you did so I can start my plans. Good luck on your journey.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Visit California

We live in the SF Bay area of California and having had out AS for just one year now, we've done essentially the same thing as you this first year; we've taken mostly long weekend trips within 150 miles or so of our home. That said, here are some location names and a route through the state you might consider.

Assuming you'll come thru AZ into Southern CA, I'd suggest that you skirt around the greater LA area. It's a parking lot.

Make your way to San Luis Obispo and travel north on CA Hwy 1, the coast route; it's breath taking and you'll gain a lifetime of memories. Allow plenty of time, you'll probably average 25 mph not counting frequent vista stops. From south to north: stop at Hearst Castle, camp at either Plasket Creek or Kirk Creek campgrounds. Stop at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, camp at Big Sur State Park or one of the private campgrounds. Or journey on the Monterey and camp at Veteran's Memorial Park, always sites available for walk ons.

Here you can cut inland and travel north to San Francisco or east to Yosemite. Use the Arch Rock entrance; that will save you traveling thru high altitude passes. If you haven't seen Yosemite, plan to stay several days, there's lots to see. Next I'd suggest a short trip to Calaveras Big Trees State Park to see giant sequoias. It's a short day's trip from Yosemite Valley.

You can the head north the Lassen NP or northwest to the coast again. Hwy 1 will take you all the way to Oregon passing thru Mendocino and eventually inland and thru thru Humbolt County and Redwood National Park. These coast redwoods are related to the sequoias, but whereas the sequoias are the largest trees--20+ ft diameter--coast redwoods are the tallest--300+ ft tall. The Oregon coast is an RVer's dream. Great campgrounds, easy roads. Be sure to stop at Honeyman State Park in Florence.

Most all of the destination campgrounds I mentioned require reservations well in advance. They are popular and fill up fast. It's worth the hassle; the scenery is spectacular. Outside Yosemite there's a KOA at Mariposa to look into if you can't get a site inside. There's also nice private campgrounds around Lassen-- although Manzanita Lake inside the Park has many sites-- and a bit further north in the Hat Creek area. Close enough for day trips to Lassen. Be sure and see Burney Falls; it's worth a side trip.
Near Mendocino, there is a very nice private campground Pomo RV Resort. The Pacific ocean is cold and the summer climate along the entire coast can be windy, foggy, and damp at times; bring some warm clothing.

Enjoy!
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Staying in Yosemite during the spring and summer requires advanced planning. Reservations open 5 months in advance, on a certain day of each month. Often, you need to be online or on the phone first thing on that day or the spaces fill up. So if you're thinking about Yosemite, spend some time on the reservation site getting a feel for the system.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
If you strike out on Valley sites, look into the Wawona campground.
Respect Each Other
Old 01-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Dahlonega , Georgia
Thank you all so much! This is great information and we'll need all the help we can get!!! "Keep those cards and letters coming" (emails, for those who don't remember Dean Martin's Comedy Hour) as you think of additional ideas!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Dahlonega , Georgia
Hi, Webspinner, I looked for reservations and looks like we'll be staying a Wawona. Sounds like the valley sites are crowded, loud, etc. so I think we'll be fine at Wawona and just drive to the valley. Have you stayed at Wawona or others?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Wawona's a nice second choice. The campground has a small river/big stream running thru it. The nearby Wawona Hotel is a historic site, and the Wawona grove of giant sequoias is only a few miles away. Be sure to visit Glacier Point.
Respect Each Other
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Wawona is a beautiful area, and I second the recommendation of Glacier Point. The view from there is amazing.

We've had dinner at the Wawona Hotel when they had an outdoor barbecue on the lawn below the historic hotel. It was lovely.

If you don't feel like driving the winding road down into the valley, you can take a shuttle bus.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
All the campgrounds in Yellowstone are dry camping except for the Fishing Bridge RV Campground (which last year was about 1/3 full hook-up - should be more this year). Each campground has it's own opening date which depends on location, snow condition and wildlife (i.e. - Grant Village Campground opens late because it is full of bears in the Spring). About half of the campgrounds are managed by the concessionaire (Xanterra) and accept reservations, the other half are first come, first served.

If you get there before late June, you can usually find a spot although it may not be in your first choice of location. July and August are very tight ( we often have folks just show up and then they are shocked they have to leave the park to find a spot).

I really recommend June because all the "charismatic megafauna" are generally viewable -- the bears are awake but can't access the high country yet and the elk and bison are dropping babies so that draws in everything with an appetite.

Don't know what kind of Ranger programs there will be this year -- the budget is tight so there may be cutbacks. No one knows yet.

Have fun and travel safe,

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
FlyFisher's avoid CA advice is priceless! I'm still giggling (& we live in CA.)

Yes there's a ton of great camp spots in/through/out of CA, but I'd much rather have a prolonged trip to the Yellowstone/MT/WY area. Also depends on time of year & huge traffic you can stomach on the highways & in the campgrounds. My family hit Yellowstone last June & Yosemite the July before that, both without reservations & found quaint sites off the beaten path (the emergency sites or hotels we had reserved were happily returned back to the cattle call Xanterra system.) If you have kids your stuck with summer vacation dates, if not I'd really suggest doing your trip in late-spring or early fall?

Just my 2 cents though-go where you want & enjoy the adventure!
Aspirations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Wife and I did much the same trip summer before last, leaving Savannah May 1st and returning the end of August. Trip got interesting around Las Cruses (nice KOA overlooking the valley) then swinging thru the Phoenix area (Usery Mountain County Park is very nice) and jumping from Barstow up to Bakersfield on 58 (don't avoid CA, just LA!) to catch Sequoia, Kings Canyon and of course Yosemite. We stayed at the KOA mentioned and while okay we wish we had invested the energy to hover on Yosemite's reservation system to snag a spot. Don't waste precious daylight hours driving to and from the valley. Having lived in the Seattle area for many years I can offer insights for the beautiful Northwest. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Dahlonega , Georgia
We agree! We were in Yellowstone 2 years ago (car, no AS) on June 13th (they had snow showers through the day before our arrival). Being from the South, I didn't realize winter lasted that long there and we just wanted to "beat the crowds we were told start around July 1. We were very lucky!Weather was perfect, wildflowers were blooming, and wildlife was everywhere. I'd started some research on RV sites and think we'll try Fishing Bridge as first choice. Thought about moving to a different camp site in a different "quadrant" of the park (we hate the traffic within the park & 2-3 hours to get from Point A to Point B). When there in 2009, we made reservations at the historic inns in each "quadrant" and this saved us some driving time. We'd concentrate on that area and then move on. However, we did find ourselves spending a lot of time in the Lamar Valley area. I'll look for a camp site in that area too. THX
Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Washout on Hwy 1

My wife just heard on the news that today there was another big landslide/washout on Hwy 1 around 5 to 10 miles south of Big Sur. The highway's closed to thru traffic and at the moment CalTrans, the CA highway dept, doesn't know when it will reopen.

I mention this because it's a frequent occurrence in Hwy 1--I think there are at least three major landslide repairs underway right now. Before you start out on the highway from, say San Luis Obispo from the south or Monterey from the north, it's a really good idea to check the CalTrans website, or call the CHP for Hwy 1 road status.
Respect Each Other
Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
While you are traveling through Texas take a side trip to the McDonald Observatory outside Fort Davis. They have public viewing nights at the visitor center several times per week. Nothing beats dark skies when looking through a telescope, and the skies don't get much darker than in that part of Texas.

McDonald Observatory - Visitor information - Fort Davis, Texas

The scenery is fantastic on the way to the observatory. The Davis Mountains State Park is a great place to stay, but I am not sure how much last year's fires impacted camping. There are also private campgrounds nearby, such as the Prude Ranch.

TPWD: Davis Mountains State Park

Welcome to Prude Ranch
Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
Once you are in Wyoming (Yellowstone country) take in a few days in Cody, Wyoming.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Dahlonega , Georgia
Photobitstream, thank you for the links! They made my "planning" SO much easier.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
If your going the southern route when going West, try Tucson AZ. Great views from Santa Catalina Mountains in the Coronado National Forest just North-East of Tucson. Nice place to watch the sunset about 2/3 the drive up to Mount Lemon. Plus there's Old Tucson movie studio and the Saguaro National Park (East) that are close to each other.
Check out these links:
Santa Catalina Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saguaro National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Enjoy
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote