Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Georgia Hwy. 441

Georgia streamers, or any others in the know, please help with any insight you have.

I am going to the Gulf Coast of Florida pretty soon and am thinking about taking 441 off of I-85, to reach Macon and I-75, rather than going thru/around Atlanta. Never been that way, want to see something new.

Can you tell me about it? Lanes, conditions, 10,000 stoplights in little towns, scenery, gas, good place to stop, etc.

Thanks for any info,

TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
I live in Atlanta, so I would naturally say if you want to see something new you need to come through Atlanta. Just Kidding.

I have driven various stretches of 441 through Georgia and Florida and the roads are generally great. Mostly 4 lanes and in decent condition. I think you would get off 85 at Commerce, which I am sure you know is a major exit. There are a couple of great parks in that area around Lake Hartwell such as the Richard B Russell State park.

As you get into Athens you can take the bypass around it or go in an see one of the hippest towns outside of Asheville. Another must see is Madison just north of I-20, it has a very historic pretty down town.

Although I haven't taken 441 down towards I-16 (Macon), my mother-in-law takes that as her preferred route down to her hometown near Statesboro.

Like most of 441, I would be real careful of the speed limits in town, but you will get to see some wonderful little towns. Sounds like you are more interested in seeing new places than making time so it should be fun.

Also, if you are going to the Panhandle of the Gulf, I would highly suggest taking the Florida-Georgia Parkway (route 300) at the Cordele exit (remember it is not a french word in Georgia). It is a nice leisurely drive, mostly 4 lane and a short cut to Tallahassee. I would stop at the Saltlick Sausage company in between Cordele and Albany and pick up some Jalepeno stuffed sausage or Sausage stuff pork chops or just some plain hamburgers. You will be amazed at how good this stuff is on the grill or griddle.

Pleasant journeys.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I'm hungry---let's eat.! zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You will pass through a small town south of I-20 by the name of Eatonton. No, my keyboard didn't stutter. This was the home town of the author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and there is a small museum on US-441.

You will also pass through Milledgeville. My parents used to have a house on Lake Sinclair (you will pass it also, the lake not their house ) be cognizant of the road signs in Milledgeville. There are a couple of major turns that are easy to miss if you are too busy looking at the wonderful old houses in town. Milledgeville was once Georgia's capitol and is a college town so there was once a lot of wealth in town and some really beautiful house as a result.

You will also go through McRae. There is a really nice state park (Olcmulgee (sp?) State Park) with a great golf course, conference center, and campground. There are also some turns in McRae to watch out for.

From McRae, you can take US-280 to Cordele (pronounced Cor-deal, BTW) and catch I-75 south one exit to Exit 99 which is the GA-FL Parkway.

Good luck and enjoy your drive.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
441 info

Thanks to all for the detailed specs of 441 and the interesting things along the way. That is just what I was looking for. I have a 4 day window to reach my destination so I wanted to do something other than just get there.

I wasn't clear about it but I'm not going to the Panhandle Gulf coast, but the Gulf down by Tampa so will have to continue on I-75. It would be nice to get onto the GA-FL parkway since it seems I'm gonna miss some really good eating joints. Well, there's always the trip back!!

Safe travels,
TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Depending on your time constraints, you could take 441 straight down to Tampa getting on and off I75 at will. It goes through the Okefenokee Swamp (Adams Family fame), Gainesville (which is a great town - Go Gators), over Paines Prarie (nice state park) and then through Ocala (horse country) before crossing over I75 and going through Dade City. You can branch off north of Tampa and go to Crystal River or Tarpon Springs.

Drive safe and enjoy, this is starting to sound like Route 66!
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Don't forget, Ocala is right on I-75 and is home to Silver Springs and the Glass Bottom Boats. Either route you take you can visit SS. If you continue on 441 from Ocala, you will pass through The Villages, planned retirement community with several golf courses and almost all of the community accessible via golf cart (my mom lives there), and you can also continue to Leesburg, FL. There is a nice fishing lake there. I forget the name, though. I-75 is easy access from Leesburg as is the FL Turnpike (it heads SE though so make sure you head back to I-75 if you get on it) but it is close to I-75.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote