Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rock Island , Illinois
Garmin vs Rand McNally GPS

We have a Garmin GPS but am looking to update. At Camping World we saw that they have 3 models from Rand McNally; the OverDryve 7RV, the RV Tablet 70, and the RVND 7. Does anyone have experience with any of these models? We probably do not need the OverDryve but don't mind paying extra for something that makes life a lot easier. We have Kindles and an iPad so would the RV Tablet 70 be redundant? Are the TripMaker app and on-board atlas on the RV Tablet 70 worth it. Thanks for any info!!
Sammy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Rand McNally uses Magellan GPS, which is infinitely better than Garmin in all respects UNTIL something goes wrong and you have to send it back to the factory for service. They will replace the one you sent to them for service (sent at your own expense, I might add) with a remanufactured unit that has none of your saved waypoints, is not current on firmware and needs an update as soon as you receive it, and likely as not is even older than the one you sent them.

Which is why I will never use another Magellan product ever again, having been through that process TWICE and gotten no satisfaction either time.

But as long as it keeps working and you never have to send it back to the factory for service, the Rand McNally units are all better than anything Garmin produces.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My Garmin RV GPS often wants to send me down cowpaths or roads that just are not there. On the other hand I was surprised when I was in the Gila forest roads did show up. Bottom line, it helps but use common sense.

My Garmin RV also keeps telling me I am using the wrong MSB cable which I am not. It's a nuisance but, I don't feel like sending it back at my expense for a $100 repair.

Never used Magellan.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
You asked specifically about RM GPS units, so I apologize for going off-thread. We’ve migrated from separate GPS units to using Waze on our phones, and it’s free. You can specify no unpaved roads, reduce difficult intersections, and load your toll transponder type to help with navigating toll roads. You can also flag if you have NEXUS for border crossings, and it’ll help get you in the correct lanes, etc.

It doesn’t have an RV selection for vehicle type, so you have to be aware of special roads that don’t allow you to be there (Lake Shore Dr in Chicago, some interstate express lanes, or some parkways in the NE, or most HOV lanes for example). It’s still able to locate campgrounds and related services, but we find that we’re using separate apps for that anyway.

It does keep your route when you go offline, but you can’t make adjustments to it without an internet connection. That’s still a benefit of a separate, self-contained GPS.

One complaint is that Apple CarPlay does not play nice with Waze. Can’t speak for Android Auto.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have had the RVND 7 for about 7 years now and have been satisfied with its functions. It is dedicated to the RV'er so you can set it up to store the specs of your RV. It will then try to not send you down roads that will not fit your RV's length /height. Plus it has 90% of all the campground locations already stored. You can back it up to your computer. Only have had it lock-up once and had to ship back to RM for upgrade on system, but has worked fine ever since. I have Nav in my truck and was able to download campground POI's, but the RVND is much faster locating CG's. I let them duel it out together when traveling!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
Our first “RV” GPS was an RM which I was very pleased with. However while updating the maps it “bricked” and I was unable to get it to reboot. RM customer service was no help. I subsequently switched to the Garmin 700 series and I have found the map updates to be fast and stable.
However, I would give a tip of the hat to RM maps and routing. If I was absolutely sure that the RM platform was reliable and stable I would purchase one when I ultimately replace the Garmin. But the dead RM in the drawer at home makes me gun shy.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i have the garmin 750 RV. bought it one week before the 770 came out

no issues to date

but YES, the garmin is very fussy on USB cables for some reason
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
One of the things I love about the Garmin RV 770 is the ability to use that same screen for the wireless Garmin rear view camera. If you like the idea of a camera on the back of your trailer, I’d give it a look. And, yes, it knows what size your rig is and tries to not send you places you can’t go. Still, common sense would say not to follow it blindly.

By the way, the solar prewire lines are a handy way to get power to the roof mounted camera transmitter. Others tie into the running lights.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Gps

Have used different Garmin GPS's for flying, boating, and towing my AS. You can update the data online. I use a $150 GPS in my truck for towing and its worked out fine for the last 4 years. Love the Garmin products.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Garmin for Cars

I've not used Garmin for RV's but have used the auto version (I'm presuming the RV version has data unique to towing?!?). It's about 7 years old, and I don't know the model, because the hubby bought it.

Anyway, we use it more than the mapping service built into our Avalon, which has been WAY wrong on two distinct occasions, and has given funky, albeit eventually correct directions, on several other locations.

End result: The Garmin has not yet sent us down wrong roads, cow paths or into a lake, like the Avalon's service nearly did! We're happy with Garmin.
1000Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Once at work we decided to go out to dinner. I had my Garmin, the rental car had "Never lost" (Magellen) and we printed out Google maps and Mapquest. None of the four agreed as to the route, all three got us there eventually.
Garmin has it's quirks for sure. I can follow a route from A to B, but if I then go from B to A it sends me a different way. ????
If I ignore it's advice, it complains "make a U turn" until I'm almost at the destination. It wants me to backtrack to it's entire route.
It's all algorithms, so every maker packs as much as possible in the box. It leads to some non-common sense directions, like exit and get right back on.

At Alumilina 2017 Garmin sent me down a one lane curvy forest road. If a car came the other way, one of us would have to back up. When I got there, the locals said, "Never follow the GPS, there's an easy way." And there was. Why Garmin didn't use it is a mystery to me, maybe the mountain road was .1 mile shorter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Miles View Post
End result: The Garmin has not yet sent us down wrong roads, cow paths or into a lake, like the Avalon's service nearly did! We're happy with Garmin.
It will. I entered "Atlanta Motor Speedway" (the big NASCAR track in Atlanta). It took me into a golf course. Not only was I in the wrong spot, I had no idea where the real track was! Turns out there's a second "correct" Atlanta motor speedway in the list.

My friends made fun of me because I could navigate to an island 100 miles from land, but get lost pulling out of a gas station.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Kenosha , Wisconsin
Last winter I found a Garmin Zumo (motorcycle) GPS on Craigslist that was 10 years old but still in the box never used. I logged on to the Garmin site to update the maps and was having problems. I called their customer service number and got help. Due to a software glitch it took 3 hours on the phone with the tech. He stayed with me till the problem was solved and I had 2019 maps installed. Made me a Garmin customer for life.
leif9016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Trust but verify. That’s why I always carry the 2018 Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas... Spiral Bound, lamented, and lots of info for the big rigs, which works for us Airstreamers.
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
There is NO "ideal" large vehicle GPS. I would advise that you learn what each unit's negatives are and, pick the unit who's negatives will be the least bothersome.

I pre-ordered the Rand McNally 7710RVND before it was released (years ago). In my opinion, it's an overpriced (~ $400) piece of garbage. Bad hardware AND worse software, especially for Mac users. My Super-C "infotainment" system came with Rand McNally 720 software installed. A definite improvement but, I still would NOT recommend ANY RandMcnally product (RM software has tried to route me onto NY PARKWAYS. With clearances as low as 7'8", that's a SERIOUS flaw). I have a Garmin dezl 560 (a truck GPS). You can NOT enter propane, only "Hazardous Gases". In the past, I used a TomTom GPS. For cars, it was GREAT. I think they now have an RV model but, if they do, I have no experience with it. I have the Copilot HD Truck App on my iPad. Expensive software and, they do NOT respond directly to user's questions (they refer problems to a Copilot forum; yeah, good luck with that). Copilot now offers an RV targeted App BUT, large RVs (length and or weight) are NOT covered. Several years ago, I tried a Magellan unit and was not happy (but I can't remember the specifics).

Bottom line; whatever you spend your money on, expect there to be issues and disappointments.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
We have been using Garmin Zumo 660 for years and never had a problem. Depending on your operating system; Windows or Mac the Base Camp software is different. We use the Zumo's with our motorcycles, cars, trucks and RV. They are particular about their USB cable though. I spent $100 one time for lifetime updates.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #16
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy99 View Post
We have a Garmin GPS but am looking to update. At Camping World we saw that they have 3 models from Rand McNally; the OverDryve 7RV, the RV Tablet 70, and the RVND 7. Does anyone have experience with any of these models? We probably do not need the OverDryve but don't mind paying extra for something that makes life a lot easier. We have Kindles and an iPad so would the RV Tablet 70 be redundant? Are the TripMaker app and on-board atlas on the RV Tablet 70 worth it. Thanks for any info!!

Definitely not the Garmin - we bought one with plans to take it overseas. Tried it out on a trip from Chicago to Columbus Ohio - not much flexibility on selecting the routing and we did not like the rout it sent us (we did the trip frequently, knew the ins and outs of various routs, but followed the machine directions that time ...)ended up paying a hefty restocking fee to give it back. What do we use instead? Googlemaps on our cell phones, works pretty much everywhere (supplement occasionally with a paper map) along with the Alstays camping App for low clearance bridges. Bonus Googlemaps on our cell phones is practically free (air time applies) is useful in post places and allows you a choice or routs, is kept up to date and shows traffic . Free and responsive - what is not there to like.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think the reason you hear so many complaints about Garmin is they dominate the industry. I'd bet there's ten Garmins for every Magellan. So I'm not surprised that ten times as many complaints are logged for Garmins.

Just remember what life before GPS was like. Paper maps and asking questions at convenience stores where no one ever heard of the place that was two blocks away.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #18
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Garmin updates are PC friendly. Their customer service claims they are Apple compatible. Wrong. They have to be updated using a PC to download the updated firmware and then the new maps. Don't ask me how I know.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Garmin updates are PC friendly. Their customer service claims they are Apple compatible. Wrong. They have to be updated using a PC to download the updated firmware and then the new maps. Don't ask me how I know.
guskmg
I update with my Mac with no problem.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Don't ask me how I know.
guskmg
Okay, but I use a Mac and update my Garmin using the ... "Garmin Express". It actually tells me when a new update is available.