Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Do the iPhone apps, like google maps, allow you to navigate when you don't have cell phone reception?
I use Navigon (A Garmin product) on my iPhone or iPad in the truck. It downloads maps of your choice to the phone or tablet and does not depend on a phone data connection to navigate. If you do not have a decent cell signal, you just don't get traffic updates, but navigation works normally. It has not exhibited any really irritating route guidance, and has yet to try to do massive lane changes at the last minute. It's also very customizable, but does NOT have low clearance avoidance (yet) or dedicated trailer towing modes. When I'm towing the AS, I usually use 'truck' mode, and that seems to be a reasonable compromise. You do have to pay attention...it's not infallible!

I use Google maps on the iPhone as a backup if I have a reliable cell signal. Google maps does work, but it needs a data connection to load maps while underway. Can't always depend on it to have a map, but they are much fresher than the Navigon stored maps. Generally, Navigon updates maps every 2-3 months.

You can buy the application in pieces, to include terrain maps, urban travel, and free map updates. It, the iPhone and a Garmin Heads-up-display (HUD) linked to the iPhone via Bluetooth is my primary go-to tool for traveling. I also link the iPhone to a hands-free speaker to get it loud enough to hear. It gets noisy on the flight deck when we are climbing hills at full throttle...and being passed by the big rigs...

I use a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store location US map for waypoint determination and gross navigation, but that's just our weirdness showing...they are our go-to meal destination on the road, and a potential overnight location if needed.

They finally just opened one in Victorville, CA, after a ton of waiting for a store somewhere in California! Opening day was a 2 1/2 hour wait for seating. DW was determined to wait....now she has had her Cracker Barrel dinner fix and a trip through their store.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I guess I am just a simple soul. I have the smaller RV version Garmin with the back up camera (my truck did not have one) and I like it a lot. Yes, it has given me some really bad advice and sent me to places that were no longer in business. Same as any GPS, I suspect. But as GPS's go, I think it is a pretty good one.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, yes I am using the camera on my trailer. My F-150 has it's own backup camera so I went with the Garmin combo so I could have the trailer camera and GPS all on one screen.

(1.) Sensor mounted onto my home made generator inlet.

(2.) Camera wires run through my flexible conduit to the rear generator jumper box.

(3.) Camera view of backing into my RV pad at home. White lines painted on pad for guiding my trailer.

(4.) F-150 camera view for hitching and to watch for jack knifing.

(5.) Camera mounted on aluminum bracket and double taped to my trailer. [I recently made a shroud for my camera]
Thanks for the great info and pictures. My GM doesn't have a backup camera and so I'd use one there, and possibly use one on the trailer, but I've got so used to checking out the site of where I am backing for high and low obstructions that I would negate the use of that one. My biggest issue is hooking up the trailer as Tracy can't help, but even that has become fairly easy with only one or two trips out to check.
I really like the large screen compared to my old Nuvi 265.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Camera mounting

I took an easier approach by not drilling into the skin. Just used a couple of action camera mounts to attach to the inside of the back window. We have the 12 volt plug in the bedroom for the futuristic 12 volt television.

The view is great for backing up and not backing over my wife, but the view is so wide it's of little use in traffic. And the GPS/camera is one less thing on the dash.

Will experiment with two cell phones, truck's wifi, and app name Alfred for a better traffic view.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin cam.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	303689  
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Alfred?
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I've owned pretty much nothing but Garmin GPS units for > 20 years now. In general they have done pretty well, with occasional burps. Generally firmware updates come out
that ultimately fix the issues I've noticed. They get a bit behind on closed bridges, but that is understandable.

The 770 is from a different league all together. It's sort of like they called in the Olathe South kids to design it. It's got some great ideas in it. The execution of those ideas has some massive gaps in it. For a product that has been in production (it's not the first in the series ....) for a long time, that is really weird. Given how many great COE sites there are out in Kansas, I gotta believe the Garmin people go RV-ing.

It would be a great product if they just fixed the bugs. You can spend a week on YouTube watching videos demonstrating issues. It's not like there's nobody talking about them.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Washington
Quote:
Hi, yes I am using the camera on my trailer. My F-150 has it's own backup camera so I went with the Garmin combo so I could have the trailer camera and GPS all on one screen.

(1.) Sensor mounted onto my home made generator inlet.

(2.) Camera wires run through my flexible conduit to the rear generator jumper box.

(3.) Camera view of backing into my RV pad at home. White lines painted on pad for guiding my trailer.

(4.) F-150 camera view for hitching and to watch for jack knifing.

(5.) Camera mounted on aluminum bracket and double taped to my trailer. [I recently made a shroud for my camera]
Nice post, sir! One question-where did you pull the 12v power from? Thanks!
vlaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post
I took an easier approach by not drilling into the skin. Just used a couple of action camera mounts to attach to the inside of the back window. We have the 12 volt plug in the bedroom for the futuristic 12 volt television.

The view is great for backing up and not backing over my wife, but the view is so wide it's of little use in traffic. And the GPS/camera is one less thing on the dash.

John
Did you need a repeater? I like your mount inside.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaming View Post
Nice post, sir! One question-where did you pull the 12v power from? Thanks!

Hi, I have a two wire connector at my battery box for my Battery Tender; I added at two wire connector to my camera sensor. When on the road I just plug it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	two wire connector.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	303751   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT connector.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	303752  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Washington
Quote:
Hi, I have a two wire connector at my battery box for my Battery Tender; I added at two wire connector to my camera sensor. When on the road I just plug it in.
Again, thanks, sir. I have solar to keep the batteries charged; I may consider replacing the intermediate connector with a switch if I go this direction.
vlaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I have the 770 RV, purchased about six months ago, and I agree with other posters that it is possessed by demons. More accurately, it contains logic faults that are so severe that it is basically inoperable in RV mode. That being said, I kept it and operate it in car mode, because it does have certain features that I like.

This other thread entry describes the logic flaws, and includes photographs of the 770's screen to illustrate what I'm talking about.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm thinking Garmin uses data from cities to formulate maps.
I can't imagine Garmin sending someone to every street to note any changes, speed limits, bridge overpasses, etc. Then there's new construction, strip malls, new hotels on their own street.
It's impossible. So Garmin gets a map from a city and transfers all the data. Bad data, bad routing. Add to that the memory being stretched by speed limits, stores, hotels, rivers, one way streets, and locking up seems to be excusable.
My old Garmin 1490 will stick around for a couple more years, I guess. It has faults but it's paid for.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My old Garmin 1490 will stick around for a couple more years, I guess. It has faults but it's paid for.
Same here. I researched the Garmin RV GPS units as I liked being able to use the same screen for a rear facing camera on the trailer. But the reviews on Amazon pointed out the problems with that unit.

So I'll stick to my old but trusty Garmin nuvi and use a separate monitor and camera...

The idea of being able to be routed based on the length and height of one's rig is an excellent one in theory, but apparently Garmin's solution is not ready for prime time.
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
Alfred?
Alfred is an app installed on both phone. One to transmit. One to receive

Will attach phone to back window with earth magnet and use truck wifi to carry signal.

John
Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Quote:
Did you need a repeater? I like your mount inside.
Bc30 camera transmits at least 200 feet. So, no repeater. We lay the transmitter on the bed. Only problem we had was when we forgot to remove the foil insulation from the front window of TT.

The action camera is Andoer.

John
Old 02-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, my Garmin 1490 remains in my previous tow vehicle. [2000 Lincoln Navigator] And my RV 760 stays in my 2014 F-150.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Garmin RV 700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
We are full-timers and was wondering if the Garmin RV 700 is worth the $400.

Any proud and not so proud owners out there with this system?

Thanks, BadKat

I’ve had the Garmin 760 for trucks 3.5-Years. Quarter million miles of use. I’d choose it again.

Knowing it’s quirks is important. I scroll the route to be sure it isn’t taking me off of an Interstate prematurely in order to save a mile. Metro highways average 35-mph, and city streets 15. Stop & go in a big truck a no-no.

I call it my real time information manager: Time to destination. Mile marker. Lane guidance. Etc. For these alone I’d replace it same day.

But, as above, I have to check what it wants to do near the end. Sometimes it’s right and I’m wrong. But as with my personal rig, u-turns aren’t allowable.

I may modify its midpoints when a better road is available. A longer trip is a better choice over a bad road with shorter miles. IMO, the “preferences” are all about the same.

The main US map page of the Commercial Carriers Atlas is the starting point for a multi day trip. Highways shown there are good for RVers as well. Get a copy (Rand McNally)

Once the fuel stops and overnights are entered, I simply use each leg by leg. Point to point. It’s the best way to get thru the day versus entering several or all at the same time.

And, for things like RV parks, use sat pics to correlate address and location. Not always the same in the virtual world.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded View Post
RV 770 is junk. We travel a hour to our favorite CG. We know every route possible to get there. The simplest way is just three roads our road highway CG road. That GPS had us on like 7 different roads, most of them the warning of "unknown RV accessibility" was on screen of GPS. We discovered there is yet another way to get there. One that I would not have taken but... I thought the GPS might know something I didnt know. There was a good reason for not going that way. I have done all my do diligents to solve issues with GPS. I don't trust it one bit, Google maps is far better.

Not many people do the annual map update. For low use destinations like above, it matters.

I take mine to Best Buy and the guys hook it up for me to update. Five or six hours later, it’s ready.

The oilfield is a far harder test than campgrounds. I’ve seen the changes.

The phone apps are for cars. Not trucks or RVs. Overhead clearance, turn clearance, etc. Plus that the time estimates are way off. No mile markers, etc.

Throw in WAZE while your at it. A problem ahead means you can follow the lemming herd into a residential area. No thanks. I can pull up alternates in the Garmin screen that correspond to our type of oversized traffic. (WAZE is too slow for my needs. A CB is the tool that gets me around far faster).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When I attended Alumilina last fall the Garmin took me through the worst possible way. A curvy, narrow, hilly, trail. When I spoke to the gentleman at the park, he said, "Oh, never follow the GPS, I'll show you the good way." His way was flat, wide and maybe shorter! It was in the Garmin map, but why the Garmin couldn't route me that way is a mystery.

Years ago, I'd fly into SFO if working in Oakland. I didn't like driving through San Fran, so I'd go south on 101, cross the bay on 92, and go north into Oakland. OMG! The Garmin had a fit. For 30 miles it would shout, "Make a U-turn" until I was 10 miles from my destination, and following the Garmin would have me backtracking 50 miles. I'd be on the east side of the bay and it wanted to take me back to San Fran so I could retrace the route. Once the Garmin makes up it's mind, it doesn't want to listen to logic.
(I still think GPS is a miracle! Even more so once I understood how it works.)