Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Gainesville, GA to Jackson Center, OH

Will be traveling from FL to Mackinac Island, MI with a stop in Jackson Center for some upgrades to our Airstream. Seems I-75 will be most direct route. Not opposed to other roads though.

Looking for recommendations for places to camp for overnight or two between Gainesville, GA and Jackson Center. Like to drive short days 200-350 mi per day.

Appreciate all suggestions.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I-75 is pretty much a disaster along it's whole length. They keep trying to fix it, but it seems to disintegrate faster than they can rebuild it. That said, there really aren't a whole lot of other choices.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I might suggest heading north from Georgia through Augusta up along Charlotte and then going through the smoky mountains and Chattanooga Tennessee to bypass Atlanta. That way, at least you get to see some nice scenery on the first half of your journey.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
Drove to Jackson Center from Hilton Head over Xmas and went through charlotte and up thru West Virginia and stayed one night in Beckley WV. Was at the mothership the next day by 2. Drive was good but for a bit of snow on the secondary roads in west Virginia.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Campgrounds Close to I-75

If you do take I-75 this would be a great opportunity to camp at the Kentucky Horse Park campground.
https://kyhorsepark.com/campground/
We camped there after we left a family camping get together near Dollywood and were enroute to Jackson Center. It is a very nice campground and just off I-75. Plan on staying at least 2 nights. The Kentucky Horse Park will take at least a day to see and is adjacent to the campground. Also just an exit or two up from the Kentucky Horse Park Campground off I-75 is the Toyota Factory tour which is great.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
If you do take I-75 this would be a great opportunity to camp at the Kentucky Horse Park campground.
https://kyhorsepark.com/campground/
We camped there after we left a family camping get together near Dollywood and were enroute to Jackson Center. It is a very nice campground and just off I-75. Plan on staying at least 2 nights. The Kentucky Horse Park will take at least a day to see and is adjacent to the campground. Also just an exit or two up from the Kentucky Horse Park Campground off I-75 is the Toyota Factory tour which is great.

Thanks to all. Appreciate the responses.

KHP is a park we missed once before so thanks for that reminder. Will def add that as a stop, maybe both ways..

As a followup question also looking for suggestions for nice campground near Petoskey SP up in MI. Hoping to get several days in that area but looks like that particular park is full already. Imagine that. Prefer to stay south of Mackinac since we are only planning to tour the island via the ferry w bikes for a day.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:26 PM   #7
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Ozark , Alabama
Good campground

You should consider Don Carter State Park in Gainesville, also Tulullah Gorge State Park north of there is a great park also. You can go north from there and catch I 75 north of Knoxville on to the Mother Ship.
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
200 miles from Gainesville will put you around Knoxville, where Yarberry Peninsula is a relaxing stay, though a bit off the interstate.
Halfway would be the TN/KY stateline, where the choices are more rustic. Toughing it out to Lexington and having a recovery day seems more appealing to me, provided the attractions are open. You can then get to JC before the end of the business day on the final leg.
Yes, I75 is a perennial pain, but the alternatives take way longer and involve more mountain driving.
Our memories of that part of Michigan are lots of rain and being pulled up a sandy/muddy hill by the campground tractor. Got 4WD?
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote