Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
If our rail transportation systems had not gone to pot, perhaps we'd only have to watch our step between the rails. It has always made way more sense to me to transport goods long distances by train.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
If our rail transportation systems had not gone to pot, perhaps we'd only have to watch our step between the rails. It has always made way more sense to me to transport goods long distances by train.

Ken
Not everyone has rails going by their front door. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Just got back from the Winn-Dixie. No tracks behind the store. Trains are a hazard and should be outlawed.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #64
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Just make sure you don't pee on the third rail while barefooted standing on damp or wet ground....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

Ken
Nothing in the quoted post says or was meant to imply goods should be transported short distances or directly to the recipient by rail. RTFP before you start telling me how dumb my idea is. If a driver has time and pee to fill a large bottle he has driven too far.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Friendly and disgusting warning

Trains cannot carry fresh produce from California to Chicago before it spoils. A truck can carry the same produce directly from the field to the warehouse in a matter of days. Auto manufacturers rely on "just in time inventory" that places the parts they need on the loading dock exactly when they need them and sorted on the trailer in the order in which they need them. They do to cut down on expensive warehouse space. There is no way a train can do that. There isn't enough rail infrastructure available to take even a small portion of the freight off the highways. Trains are good for large heavy loads like coal which can be transported easily and more efficiently.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

If walking on dumped piss while wearing shoes is what you're worried about then you live a sheltered life. Seriously, this is the funniest thread I have read in a while. The next thread you're going to start is the danger of dogs taking craps at rest stops and the danger of stepping in crap.

Seriously, grow up. I wouldn't care if someone pissed on the ground and I stepped in it because I wear shoes when I walk around rest stops. I spent 7 months in Afghanistan, didn't have a shower for 5 of those months, crapped in a plastic bags for 7 months, and found cover in crap filled ditches numerous times while being shot at. You know what, those crap filled ditches were godsends and I got covered in stuff that would make a rest stop covered in piss look tame. I didn't get sick and I could care less.

It's a matter of perspective. If you're worried about it then pull off the side of the road and take a piss in your Airstream.

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, I love to hear the complaints of sheltered people.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #68
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Thank you for your service.....
Sounds like a tough time!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, I love to hear the complaints of sheltered people.
Thank You for your Service.

I had a neighbor warn me about the dangers of going bare footed and how I would get a ring worm. I am over 60 and have gone bare footed for my entire life, as a kid I ran down gravel covered country roads in 98 degree heat bare footed. If she had known how many cow patties I stepped in growing up she would have died, btw so far no ring worms. I did have my eye doctor tell me I had a black spot in my eye that came from chickenshit.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Thank You for your Service.

I had a neighbor warn me about the dangers of going bare footed and how I would get a ring worm. I am over 60 and have gone bare footed for my entire life, as a kid I ran down gravel covered country roads in 98 degree heat bare footed. If she had known how many cow patties I stepped in growing up she would have died, btw so far no ring worms. I did have my eye doctor tell me I had a black spot in my eye that came from chickenshit.
Well, since this thread has already touched some touchy areas, it's not ringworm but pin worms that were the problem. I won't go into too much detail but they live a relatively long time and are pretty mobile. The invention of the outhouse was a huge improvement in prevention. Google it if you want more detail, but not at meal time
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

I spent 7 months in Afghanistan, didn't have a shower for 5 of those months.......
Hey, welcome home, Mr. Marine Having been in the service and having had a son in Iraq I'm happy you are back in the real world. Thank you for your service. Please enjoy a well earned rest
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Well, since this thread has already touched some touchy areas, it's not ringworm but pin worms that were the problem. I won't go into too much detail but they live a relatively long time and are pretty mobile. The invention of the outhouse was a huge improvement in prevention. Google it if you want more detail, but not at meal time
Ok, never have had a pin worm.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I've always heard that urine is sterile. Although not pleasant, I don't think you are going to get hurt from it.

I once hiked Bright Angel trail at Grand Canyon NP. This is the same trail the mules use. On the way down you tried to avoid the 'landscaping'. ON the way up, your so tired and sore, you laid in it cause it was soft.....
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
San Antonio , Texas
Urine isn't sterile. Google. Urine is the lest of the troubles from truckers. Middle eastern "Team" drivers have been known to defecate through hole in the floor while underway to avoid stopping, One drives, one craps. Keep those wipers up to date!
Jeepers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #75
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers! View Post
Urine isn't sterile. Google. Urine is the lest of the troubles from truckers. Middle eastern "Team" drivers have been known to defecate through hole in the floor while underway to avoid stopping, One drives, one craps. Keep those wipers up to date!

I would hate to be the cop that stops them.. Also, kinda glad I don't ride MC anymore... hated being behind cow, pig or chicken haulers..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote