Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
French Press vs AeroPress -which one and why?

Getting ready for a trip and we will have no electric hookups for most of it.

I want to be able to make good coffee before generator hours.

I am considering either a french press or AeroPress.

Pros and cons, and any testimonials on each? Also specific suggestions on products if you have them.

At home typically I use a nespresso but that required the generator to be running, which means no sunrise coffee.

Want to make enough for 1 cup immediately and also some for a thermos or insulated cup for later.

And...go!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Getting ready for a trip and we will have no electric hookups for most of it.

I want to be able to make good coffee before generator hours.

I am considering either a french press or AeroPress.

Pros and cons, and any testimonials on each? Also specific suggestions on products if you have them.

At home typically I use a nespresso but that required the generator to be running, which means no sunrise coffee.

Want to make enough for 1 cup immediately and also some for a thermos or insulated cup for later.

And...go!
In our travels, we're big fans of the Bialetti Moka pot. This thing makes very good, very strong coffee with nothing other than a propane burner. Cleaning it requires only a bit of water to rinse things out. We make a pot and cut it 1:1 with hot water for a very good cuppa that can quietly be made off-grid.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:04 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
We use a Bodum Stainless Steel 4 cup pot. Makes great coffee. Strength depends on how much coffee you put in.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Have both - prefer the AeroPress

Hi Piggy Bank,

We just returned from a trip to northern Wisconsin without hookups. I’ve used a French Press in the past but ordered an AeroPress to try this time. I have to say it works great; no grounds in your coffee and you can make your cup as strong or weak as you’d like.

I prefer a stronger cup so I just add less water to the brewed concentrate. Check out James Hoffmann’s YouTube channel for tips on using an AeroPress.

Good luck with your trip!
-Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

For many decades, when out camping, we've used the Melita filter / drip setups. They come in a range of sizes. If you can boil water, you can make coffee. Cleanup (throw away the filter with the grounds in it / rinse the pot) is the main plus. There also isn't much hassle getting things setup / going. It does make coffee that keeps us happy.

Water for cleanup generally is what limits how many days we can stay out. Anything that cuts down on cleanup is a big deal to us. Each individual "tweak" is a small savings. Ultimately they do add up.

It is very much something that you decide based on your budget for this or that. I run an electric coffee grinder off the inverter. Yes that pulls down the batteries. I'm happy with that compromise.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There are 2 main differences between a French Press and an Aeropress, IMHO.
  1. You get a little different character of coffee between the steep-and-press with a fine grind in the aeropress and the steep-and-semi-filter with coarse grind in the French press. The Aeropress has less grit and a bit faster process (though I use the "inverted" method so it steeps a minute or three, rather than just pressing it through immediately.
  2. The Aeropress is easier to clean. Once it cools, just remove the filter holder, pop out the puck of coffee and the thin paper filter, rinse.

The Aeropress filters are small and thin so you can take lots of them without wasting much space. It's more fiddly early in the process, but way easier in cleanup. I am a bit of a coffee hound and always take both in the Airstream, and sometimes I take my stainless moka pot as well. Generally I make a French press in the morning (mine's a largish one with a thermal carafe so it's good for us to have a few cups) and then make my afternoon cup with the Aeropress (because my partner doesn't generally want coffee in the afternoon.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
Pour over!!!! Pour over is better than French press. It is also super easy to clean. Once you go pour over coffee you’ll never go back. While on the surface it’s similar to drip but taste and texture are different.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Can you use k cups with the Aeropress?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #9

2005 31' Classic
Tampa , Florida
AeroPress hands down! I've had mine since 2013 and continue to use it today. As an airline pilot who likes GOOD coffee, I found the AeroPress to be super easy to travel with and because it's not glass, I never have to worry about it breaking. I've taken it camping before too and works wonderfully! Super easy clean up and fits nicely in it's own little zipper bag. Because of its compact size, it saves on space too! Just need a way to boil water and you're self-sufficient! Absolutely pays for itself and makes great coffee! You can order it with a one year supply of the filter discs too! You cannot go wrong with it!
NicoleD63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
All we do is Boondock - 300w inverter to run our coffee grinder - fresh ground coffee in the morning - boil water in the kettle - coffee in the filter over themo pot - pour boiling water - 8cups of coffee just like home :-)
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:24 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
My Vanlife friends introduced me to the Aeropress. Fantastic! Much easier than a French press and great coffee like my old Melitta method. Cleanup makes it the hands down winner.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
If you are Nespresso person, then French press or Aeropress will taste like watered down Espresso. I personally will not do it.
Do it the Italian way, Get a Bialletti from Target and have the second best coffee. (First best Coffee is Nespresso)
dralanir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Coffee prep

I work in a coffee shop. At home, we use a French press. In the Airstream, we use a Pyrex glass measuring cup and a fine-mesh strainer… we heat water on the stove to 205 F, ( look for little bubbles— not a full boil) pour into the Pyrex over coarse-ground coffee, stir, wait four minutes, pour through the strainer into cups. We prefer to travel with multiple-use items.
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Can you use k cups with the Aeropress?
No. The Aeropress uses loose ground coffee with very thin paper filters, no cups or pucks or capsules are required or compatible.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 06-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dralanir View Post
If you are Nespresso person, then French press or Aeropress will taste like watered down Espresso. I personally will not do it.
Do it the Italian way, Get a Bialletti from Target and have the second best coffee. (First best Coffee is Nespresso)
I think you're making an inaccurate conflation between "Nespresso" and espresso... because Nespresso is a not-terrible substitute for actual espresso that requires a Nespresso-licensed electric machine and Nespresso-compatible single-use capsules.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
At home & AS for years.
Bob
🇺🇸

Chemex...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6915895B-1EB0-44E6-914E-611002BDD2AE_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	397960  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #17
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
I vote for the Aeropress. Fast clean and small.
BTW, if you care about the planet, you might enjoy researching how many Keurig containers are thrown away daily (many in the ocean). Nespresso would be the same deal. The AeroPress filter is tiny and biodegradable.
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I have used both and much prefer the Aeropress.
The Aeropress makes a far better cup of coffee, allows the acidity that you get with a french press but without the "mud"in your cup. Clean up is much easier than a french press you are messing around to get the grounds out of the bottom and trying not to end up any in your grey tank. (Coffee grounds are not a good thing to start accumulating in your grey tank. )
Comparable to a drip system but I prefer the taste, convenience, and ruggedness of the Aeropress.
Just my 2 cents (Canadian) worth. Oh wait we don't have pennies anymore.
Bigboote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #19
Site Team

, Minnesota
Reasons to use a French Press:

1. It's been around since early in the 20th century.
2. Uses no consumables, like paper filters.
3. More flexibility for different brewing techniques
4. Makes a pot, not just a cup
5. Looks nicer.
6. No plastic parts laying about to get lost.
7. Makes better coffee.

I take along both an electric kettle for when we are in civilization, and a stovetop kettle for roughing it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #20

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYard View Post
Pour over!!!! Pour over is better than French press. It is also super easy to clean. Once you go pour over coffee you’ll never go back. While on the surface it’s similar to drip but taste and texture are different.

x2

I use the Hario V2 for my coffee at home and while camping. Absolutely fantastic!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002S01CKW...ing=UTF8&psc=1
WalterKovacs is offline   Reply With Quote