Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2005, 05:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Product comparisons

Here's a website that did a comparison of five models on the market:

http://www.handtops.com/show/news/68#canary

My new favorite model is now the Canary Wireless Digital Hotspotter (HS10) because it not only detects a connection and its strength, but can also tell you whether it is encrypted, what channel it is on and the name of the network. It sure beats pulling out and firing up the laptop only to find out the signal is encrypted.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:09 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
WiFi Locators

The 'handtops.com' web site listed above did a great job comparing the pros and cons of 5 different WiFi locators. Thanks for the link.

The Hawking Technology WiFi Locator (HWL1) listed in the comparison looks like another good model. According to the article, it has a great range and, with an instant reponse time, you can walk around scanning for hot spots to find the strongest signal location just like a metal detector on a Florida beach.

BUT!!! - the $40. price was too rich for my blood. HOWEVER!!!! - www.buy.com has this model on sale at $35.60 with free shipping and Hawking is offering a $10 rebate until 2/28/05 for a net $26!! That's in my ballpark.

'Buy.com' was the best of the current deals that I could find by Googling "hawking hwl1 sale". I also picked up a copy of the Grammy winning Ray Charles CD - "Genius Loves Company" - for $11.99. http://www.buy.com/retail/music/store.asp?loc=1740 takes you to their Grammy Winners Store.

I will let you know how my hot spot searching goes in beautiful downtown Cincinnati as soon as this cool gadget shows up. Rumor has it that the local MACDONALDS is hot!!!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I can see your point and I totally agree, it's the owner's responsibility to secure it.
I suppose if one was foolish enough, it's their own fault, malicious or not. However it can be and is considered theft of service that can and is prosecuted (if they can catch you)....
We just had a case here that was prosecuted for "stealing" internet access.
A neighbor was "hitiching a ride" on his next door neighbor's wireless.
After a few months of this his kid made a comment about how his dad did not have to pay for internet access because he "picked it up out of the air".
The gentleman that was paying $40/month to the cable company was none too pleased by this and called the police.
Long story-short. He got popped for knowingly stealing bandwidth from his estranged neighbor. He had to pay a $500 fine and $40/month to his neaighbor for the next 12 months!
The judge had stated that merchandise is set for sidewalk sales within easy reach. That does not mean that since it is on the sidewalk that we just walk off with it.
Sort of like the guy that would steal the hat and mittens off of a snowman and then say that he found them on a pile of snow.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Here's a website that did a comparison of five models on the market:

http://www.handtops.com/show/news/68#canary

My new favorite model is now the Canary Wireless Digital Hotspotter (HS10) because it not only detects a connection and its strength, but can also tell you whether it is encrypted, what channel it is on and the name of the network. It sure beats pulling out and firing up the laptop only to find out the signal is encrypted.
I believe that Canary Hotspotter is the only one that can go into detail about a wireless site. At least it is the only one I have found so far. It appears to be the most expensive as well. If not that one then one of those smaller inobtrusive keychain fob ones would do in a pinch for carrying around.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:28 AM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
After a few months of this his kid made a comment about how his dad did not have to pay for internet access because he "picked it up out of the air".
The gentleman that was paying $40/month to the cable company was none too pleased by this and called the police.
Long story-short. He got popped for knowingly stealing bandwidth from his estranged neighbor. He had to pay a $500 fine and $40/month to his neaighbor for the next 12 months!
The judge had stated that merchandise is set for sidewalk sales within easy reach. That does not mean that since it is on the sidewalk that we just walk off with it.
Sort of like the guy that would steal the hat and mittens off of a snowman and then say that he found them on a pile of snow.

In this case I would be inclined to agree it is theft, in that a pattern of misuse was established... however, am I going to get arrested and charged if I am reading my book at night by the neighbors' yard light?? But why did the idiot with the wireless NOT secure his system? Point in case, buddy of mine leaves his truck with the keys in the ignition, it got stolen...DUH!...insurance doesn't want to pay due to contributory negilence, and the guy that stole it claims he "borrowed" it, basically got away with a slap on the wrist ...

As far as finding systems inexpensively try Netstumbler think there is a mac version too. Pretty inexpensive... shareware.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBHAST
... the $40. price was too rich for my blood. HOWEVER!!!! - www.buy.com has this model on sale at $35.60 with free shipping and Hawking is offering a $10 rebate until 2/28/05 for a net $26!! That's in my ballpark.
Thanks for the info -- I just ordered one too!

I'd also like to take a moment to help clear up a misconception about the use of Wi-Fi detectors to pilfer wireless services seeing as some people seem to be focused on the illegal part of these devices....

The non-illegal uses are:

1) Troubleshooting your wireless connectivity in your home or office. Are you really getting the range the manufacture states you will get?
2) Making sure your signal is secured and not reaching the public.
3) Finding truck stops, restaurants or coffee shops with wireless access and, in the case of truck stops, finding the best location (i.e., strongest signal) in the parking lot.
4) Making sure no one has installed a wireless router on your network.

Have fun! I know I have a lot of fun being an "early adopter"!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I'm sorry, but I disagree. The wireless signal was on the neighbor's property (I'm assuming). Maybe it's the cable company's responsibility to keep their signal off the neighbor's property. "The judge had stated that merchandise is set for sidewalk sales within easy reach"... Not that theft is condoned, but sidewalks are community property.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield54
I'm sorry, but I disagree. The wireless signal was on the neighbor's property (I'm assuming). Maybe it's the cable company's responsibility to keep their signal off the neighbor's property.
With that line of thinking one could say that they shouldn't have to pay for satellite services either. Bottom line, shame on the guy for stealing his neighbor's service and shame on the guy with the wireless for not using some security with his network. There is lots of stuff out there in the RF arena that passes through our walls and no court is going to back you up if you take advantage of those frequencies in lieu of a required payment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
I just received a Canary HS10 today and it's a keeper. It appears to be exceptionally well built and so far works as advertised . . . unlike the Hawking HWL1, which I sent back last week. After putting the batteries in the Hawking numerous times with no sign of power, I noticed an abnormal gap between the top and bottom plastic sections (only on the left side). I tried closing the gap thinking it might snap in place. It didn't, but the unit powered on. I super-glued that corner, and that worked...for a few minutes, after which time nothing would make it work. Compared to the Canary, the Hawking really felt more like something out of a Cracker Jacks box. Unfortunately, the Canary is now priced at $60 plus $13 for UPS. Oh well, "the bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of a good buy has gone." Precisely why we love our Airstreams.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Free Wifi

I have free Courtesy parking with WIFI...near Cooperstown, NY...out in the country.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Also, use bb for free calls...

While we're on this thread, I thought I'd let the folks who weren't on chat last night about a service allowing you to make "phone calls" by internet for free. It's a software that allows you to select a user name and use it like a phone number. You can download the software from www.skype.com. You'll need a speaker and microphone (or headset) with an internet connection (broadband recommended).

At work, we used this to make a call over lunch from outside the office (piggybacked a wifi) using a pocket PC to our company rep in France! The connection was clear and easy--and free!

The deal is, to make free calls, you have to call someone who also has skype on their computer. Skype hopes you will want to call regular phones, then they charge a metered connection rate (though the rates are very good).

I'm not connected to skype (except as a user), but I am very impressed with it--and figured that for some here, it might be a way to save on long distance calls!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Skype user too

Mary,

I too have used Skype while I was activated as a reservist to call home to talk to the wife and kids. Always worked great, and we saved $$$$. I concur with all you say.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #33
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Skype & Logitech

Skype's the best. Been using it for about one year now.

Coupled with a Logitech Web Camera, attached to the lid of my laptop, I see and speak with my girlfriend in Brasil from the US most everyday.

The price is right and the connection has mostly been flawless.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #34
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
I have free Courtesy parking with WIFI...near Cooperstown, NY...out in the country.

Rob
Ditto,
But I am in NC near Fort Bragg/Fayetteville area

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Looks to me like a little duct tape on the kid's mouth would have been worth the investment.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I used www.jiwire.com while we were traveling to Wisconsin, but it's often out of date, behind on who has wireless.
The nice thing is you download a database of where wireless service is, and you can look at it while you're offline to find where you want to go next, so when you're in the next state you can see where to go. You download updates whenever you are online.

Just my 2cents...

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 AM   #37
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
Thank you for that link. I have saved it for use along the road, and do not doubt it will become a much used site.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:18 PM   #38
GreenHorn

Free WiFi! Come and get it!

I've always left my wifi free and open in every house we've lived in - It's like having a cool yard and no fence. Just a philosophy. And all the kids play at our house, making it easier to keep an eye on my kid.

Here's a site I use for free wi fi in Austin - but it has other listings. Also some rest stops in Texas have wifi. You could (if you planned ahead) check out some free locations, save the list as a word doc and have a whole host of places to go.

http://auscillate.com/wireless/

Or you could park in our drive way. No dump site, but water and elec is avail!

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think. ~Chinese Proverb

https://winter.home.texas.net
Prosapio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:56 PM   #39
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Here are some more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I used www.jiwire.com while we were traveling to Wisconsin, but it's often out of date, behind on who h as wireless.
The nice thing is you download a database of where wireless service is, and you can look at it while you're offline to find where you want to go next, so when you're in the next state you can see where to go. You download updates whenever you are online.

Just my 2cents...
My favorite is Netstumbler it shows you what systems are available right there and whether they are secured or not. Here are a bunch of other "finder" sites out of my bookmark files:WifiMaps , Wifi Freespot, WiFinder, Boingo

As far as I know all of these links are current, if you find one that isn't holler and I will delete/correct/or update.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
what about dial-up?

We're going places this summer with no wi-fi...but a number of RV parks advertise "modem friendly". So how do I configure my Windows XP to use my Sam's Club phone card to call back to my home provider? I know it's primitive, but it may be my only option in the Yukon & eastern Alaska.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote