Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
How many miles are on your truck and is the ride appreciably better with the Bilsteins?
17k and I can tell a difference with the blisteins. Especially on the interstate concrete expansion gap bumps..... Not hard to do plenty of room under the truck. Wife can tell a difference a!so
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Ringgold , Georgia
2019 F-250 crew cab diesel. I started feeling it at about 25k miles just a little. At 32k miles I was going north on I-26 just outside of Asheville and hit a small pot hole with the right front tire and all hell broke loose, the worst DW I’ve experienced. The next day I was heading up I-75 in Tennessee and it happened four more time in about 20 miles. I was close to a Ford dealer in Clinton Tennessee so I drove very slowly there and told the service writer what happened. They replaced the -1 steering damper with a -2 and they had me out in 30 minutes. Now with 41k on the truck I’m starting to feel it again and not only do I tow our Airstream but a couple of other trailers. I will be ordering a Fox unit this weekend because I don’t ever want to have that happen again, it will scare the you know what out of you, trust me.
boatdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cary , North Carolina
the steering stabilizer does not fix the source of the problem

The steering stabilizer does not fix the source of the problem. As the stabilizer wears, and looses its dampening ability, the problem will be reappear. The source of the problem is loose joints in the steering components. The solution is to check the following for any play in any of the joints and to replace any that are loose, followed by an alignment: track bar, drag link, tie rod ends.

There are many reports of early life failures of the oem joints/bushings. There are also many reports of owners with substantial mileage and no problems. It seems a likely explanation for this is a wide variance in quality of the the Ford OEM parts. There are after market companies that sell high quality alternatives.

If this happens to me on my 2021 super duty, I will definitely go the after-market route in replacing any worn components, in addition to a high quality after-market stabilizer. The track bar would be the first place I would look for wear in either the bushing end that attaches to the frame, or the ball end that attaches to the axel mount
(AS: 2011 25' FC FB)
(TV: 2021 F250 7.3L gas 4x4 3.55 gears)
wmcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Ada , Michigan
The OEM track bar rod ends have too much compliance. Actually the front suspension has been engineered for minimum ride harshness and an important part of that is lateral compliance. The steering and track rod work in concert to control lateral wheel location. Replace the OEM track bar with a fabricated track rod with heim joints will short circuit the sideways wheel wobble. This not to say that others things won't also have enourmous benefit. Better monoshocks, more steering damping, reduced unsprung mass, etc.. lots of good stuff in this post.
ronderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Sedona , Arizona
I Had The Death Wobble

HI All,

I have a 2017 F250 (Diesel, 4WD) and got the wobble after hitting a minor pot hole. I was not towing at the time and fortunately I was able to slow down and the wobble went away. It happened another 3x before I could get to the dealer.

Ford replaced the steering dampener and then the track bar. It fixed the problem.

I bought the truck new and towed FT for approx. 24K miles the first year I had the truck. The wobble occurred after 30K miles.

This has been the only significant issue I have had with this truck and I'm still saying it's the best truck I have ever owned. I'm sold on the 3/4 ton platform.

Regards,
Scott
rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , North Carolina
2019 F-250 Death Wobble

Have about 22K on our 2019 F-250 and (knock on wood/pavement) no death wobble. Given several forums and related comments I'm aware of the issue and have confidence Ford will stand by their product and do what's right.
stevejant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Boulder , CO
For me it was the exhaust valves

I have a 2016 F250 Diesel. Ford first denied the problem of the wobble, but after three visits they seem to finally admit that it's the exhaust valves (something defective) and replaced valve parts. It was in their shop for three weeks, so not minor but covered by the warranty.

But other subject, I get the wind noise that seems to come from the drivers side windshield. It has to be at least 60MPH onto a headwind to get the noise, then it's loud. Of course Ford can't replicate the noise, so no fix offered. Anyone else have this going on with a Ford truck?
BGBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Littleton , Colorado
Experienced it twice in my 2018. Once while towing, once not. Took it to Ford and have bet experienced it again though I’ve given it plenty of opportunity on rough patchy roads.
icebox500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswill View Post
Never on my 2017 F250. Not yet anyway.
Same here.

Seems what I'm reading the wobble is on 4x4 solid front axle Fords.

I have a 2WD I-beam front on my '17 F-250...never had the wobble.

Just clarification on the discussion topic.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
The fux

New Steering Shock
Caster decreased to min of spec.

The more positive caster the more shock to the ft end

Our 2019 had it was fixed with the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I see that the current video from KYD concerns the Ford death wobble on their 2019 F-250. The front end starts a violent shaking. There's YouTube videos of poor quality that show it on the road, It looks like the front end is shaking apart.
I'm curious how many of you Ford owners have experienced it and if you've found a solution.
I don't think Ford has a handle on the problem, or at least the solution.
I don't think it's unique to the F-250 but all Ford pickups.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
CLEARWATER , FLORIDA
I own a 2019 F250 diesel 4x4. I experienced the Death Wobble at 24000 miles , went over an expansion joint on I/64 east of St Louis . Truck is completely stock, was not pulling my trailer ( thank God) 65 mph. It was not a pleasant experience to say the least . I took it back to my local dealer , they put on a new stabilizer and other steering parts. Not what I expected out of a $65000 truck. Every time I cross a bridge I put both hands on the wheel .
TampaTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyman View Post
17k and I can tell a difference with the blisteins. Especially on the interstate concrete expansion gap bumps..... Not hard to do plenty of room under the truck. Wife can tell a difference a!so
I replaced the stock 4/4 off-road shocks with Bilstein and what a deference! Positive upgrade not sure about the death wobble but ride and handling improvements.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
I had it on my 2019 F-250. I would hit an expansion joint in the highway and the front end would jerk the steering wheel out of my hand. Terrifying.

Last month Ford fixed my truck with a mew damper. All is now well.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
The "death wobble" does not occur with the rear wheel drive SuperDuty. It's a 4X4 issue only due to a combination of alignment, parts (wear or poor design parts), worn or out of balance tires or bent rim and the solid axle. I've owned GM, Ram, Jeep and Ford 4x4 and all have had some version of the DW.

Since I don't need a 4x4 to tow and rarely off road, I traded in my 2007 F-150 4X4. Since then I've owned 3 RWD Fords, 2016 and 2019 F-150 and now a 2020 F-250 Powerstroke. Any issue will be from out of balance or worn tires, bad shocks or worn parts. Since I have the vehicle checked out every servicing, I don't expect issues. Plus I have a payload of over 3400LBS and trailer towing weight of over 15,000LB. Since the truck is a short box 6'9", I have only a 5th wheel capacity of 22,000LB. I don't anticipate having difficulty pulling any travel trailer at the speed limit over mountains and still get about 14 MPG while towing at 70MPH (about 15.2mpg at 65). (No trailer is about 21 hwy. Truck is a crewcab with 6.7L diesel, 10 speed automatic and 3.55 rear end).

One question anyone looking at a 4x4 of any make is DO YOU REALLY NEED A 4X4!. Extra weight, higher maintenance, lower mpg. Live in the city, drive and tow on the interstate? Why do you want, let alone need 4 wheel drive?

I've lived in Alaska, northern Wisconsin, extreme northern Minnesota and the mountains of northern Arizona. All places with plenty of snow and ice. I had to open the International Falls Airport checkpoint during snowstorms that closed the airport (higher management required us to be there and open JUST IN CASE the airline decided to fly in and out of a weather closed airport). Very rarely did I need to use 4 wheel drive.

Moving to southern Georgia and before getting rid of trading in that 2007 F-150 4X4, I only used it once and that was to pull some idiot kid's Camero out of a ditch. And I probably could have done it with a rear wheel drive without a problem.

A friend who owns a towing and recovery service loves 4X4 owners. Their recovery bill is normally $500 or more than RWD vehicles because, to quote him, "4 wheel drive is great for getting you stuck farther in. And I make a lot more money".
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Just turned 104K on my 2017 F250 KR 4x4. Took mine in at 95K for complete service and warranty recall items, including the new front stabilizer they put in if needed. Ford is aware on some units this was/is an issue and added the "fix" at no charge, with no expiration date on if out of warranty. I did not need it, but did talk to a service manager who said he surely did experience it when test driving a customers F250 last year. Good news is, Ford is offering a fix. Better news is, i havn't had the problem...yet! But if I do, (and I make it back to the dealer alive) they have a fix.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabe View Post
The "death wobble" does not occur with the rear wheel drive SuperDuty. It's a 4X4 issue only due to a combination of alignment, parts (wear or poor design parts), worn or out of balance tires or bent rim and the solid axle. I've owned GM, Ram, Jeep and Ford 4x4 and all have had some version of the DW.

Since I don't need a 4x4 to tow and rarely off road, I traded in my 2007 F-150 4X4. Since then I've owned 3 RWD Fords, 2016 and 2019 F-150 and now a 2020 F-250 Powerstroke. Any issue will be from out of balance or worn tires, bad shocks or worn parts. Since I have the vehicle checked out every servicing, I don't expect issues. Plus I have a payload of over 3400LBS and trailer towing weight of over 15,000LB. Since the truck is a short box 6'9", I have only a 5th wheel capacity of 22,000LB. I don't anticipate having difficulty pulling any travel trailer at the speed limit over mountains and still get about 14 MPG while towing at 70MPH (about 15.2mpg at 65). (No trailer is about 21 hwy. Truck is a crewcab with 6.7L diesel, 10 speed automatic and 3.55 rear end).

One question anyone looking at a 4x4 of any make is DO YOU REALLY NEED A 4X4!. Extra weight, higher maintenance, lower mpg. Live in the city, drive and tow on the interstate? Why do you want, let alone need 4 wheel drive?

I've lived in Alaska, northern Wisconsin, extreme northern Minnesota and the mountains of northern Arizona. All places with plenty of snow and ice. I had to open the International Falls Airport checkpoint during snowstorms that closed the airport (higher management required us to be there and open JUST IN CASE the airline decided to fly in and out of a weather closed airport). Very rarely did I need to use 4 wheel drive.

Moving to southern Georgia and before getting rid of trading in that 2007 F-150 4X4, I only used it once and that was to pull some idiot kid's Camero out of a ditch. And I probably could have done it with a rear wheel drive without a problem.

A friend who owns a towing and recovery service loves 4X4 owners. Their recovery bill is normally $500 or more than RWD vehicles because, to quote him, "4 wheel drive is great for getting you stuck farther in. And I make a lot more money".
Answer to your question above on "why"...because when you need a 4x4, you have it! Unforeseen weather on a trip like snow flurries on the interstate in the middle of no where...weather towing or not the extra traction can help. If you've ever gotten into a situation while camping or going to park your AS with wet/soggy grassy ground or mud, the 4x4 has gotten me out of spots several times. How about the beach camping...here in Texas all those conditions do happen and I am glad I had 4x4....Going to/from TX and MT in winter, without towing, I see Front WD and other 2-WD vehicles in the ditch along the way while cruising by on the Interstate. There were several situations at our cabin in Montana where I was able to help others out of the ditch also, or i was able to get in to our place in heavy snow storm, because of 4x4. For me, it's like insurance...you may never need it, but if you do, it's there to help.IMHO
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #57

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2017 28' Tommy Bahama
Holmen , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I see that the current video from KYD concerns the Ford death wobble on their 2019 F-250. The front end starts a violent shaking. There's YouTube videos of poor quality that show it on the road, It looks like the front end is shaking apart.
I'm curious how many of you Ford owners have experienced it and if you've found a solution.
I don't think Ford has a handle on the problem, or at least the solution.
I don't think it's unique to the F-250 but all Ford pickups.
Yes I had the same issue with my F350. Ford put a new track bar but still had issues. So I put in a double steering stabilizer from Rancho and that did fix the issue. It’s been a year now with no problem.
jmchenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
Maybe bigger is not always better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
It is an unfortunate and difficult problem because it is a harmonics thing. Live and long axle suspension are more susceptible because the longer distances bring the natural frequencies more in keeping with suspension response frequencies. Worn components allow things to get started, but it is fundamentally a geometry issue. A damper will shift the frequencies a bit and prevent amplification until it wears out, but once you have hundreds of thousands of trucks on the road you can't easily change up the geometry and who's to say you won't land on another one that is just as bad... Vehicle design is not for sissies.
So, towing with a 3/4 or 1 ton is not perfect. I think I will stick with my MB GLS 550, no front end issues here. Just saying, each to his own.....
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It looks like a scary problem. I can’t imagine experiencing that cruising down the highway towing my Airstream. I can’t imagine the stress of worrying that it might happen.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzabe View Post

Well, maybe you lead a relatively sheltered life😀 it’s a joke don’t get mad.
I don’t do any real off-roading or try crazy stuff with my truck but I can recall at least 3 instances in recent memory where I was glad to have 4wd. 2 times just pulling out of a spot that got real muddy after a few days of rain. Another time just the other day I parked the truck to go kayaking. One rear wheel ended up on some soft sand & debris. When we went to leave that wheel just spun. 4wd made it effortless to get out, otherwise I’d be putting stuff under that tire and messing around to get traction. Unloaded trucks are very light on the rear wheels and easy to get stuck.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote