Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
For you pilots...

here's a shot from my recent trip. This one has everything....mountains, an A/S camper, a really slick airplane....(its either a TBM or a Pilatus...couldn't tell. "big-cherokee-with-a-turbo-prop).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ximg_0724.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	483  
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 04:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
What a great shot Chuck! Beautiful background with sky, interesting plane and look at that silver bullet. Makes me want to get out of this office, go home, pack up and find a place to go (any place)!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 05:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Chuck,
Great shot of the scenery and your Safari. What are the two dark objects front and back on the top of your unit? Vents?
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 08:48 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yeah, those are vent-covers. "maxi-vent" (?) something like that. I've seen them on alot of SOB units.....

I think they sort of look "out of place", but they were there when I bought the trailer. The do allow you to leave the vents open while traveling, or in the rain.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 02:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Great Pic:

Hi Chuck...
Realy love that FOTO.... and the unit looks kewl, could say that a.......Down to earth Guy, meets Guy with HEAD in the clouds...lmao....
You from Boston Mass:. My D/D went there a while ago, and flies out again on sept; 17, for a couple of weeks, then my D/W & 3 D/Ds go out again in Jan'03...ME...Oh I get to STAY here and look at AIRSTREAMS all day...lol...
Well take care now...thank's for sharing the pic:...
...Chris.....
Old 08-30-2002, 04:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Chris,
We aint got no D/D and D/W's down here in the South. What are they anyway?
Dan
Old 08-31-2002, 02:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Unhappy What !!! NO D's........

Hi Dan....
So I take it you NOT married to a Dear Wife, and have NO DEAR DAUGHTERS....I got 3, an LOVE 'em to bits...and a SON, also I got my WHITE LABRADOR...Toby....who's helping me out here, he never leaves my side, and cries when I go to work, he's just turned six, and IS the biggest PUPPY in the world...lol...
What's it like down your side of the world ???
Take care all...Chris.....
P.S. Great Site..............
Old 08-31-2002, 05:24 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Foreign language

Chris,
Sorry, but I always have trouble with foreign languages. Me and my D/W have been over to your side of the world three times and I always have to ask her "What did they say" after a conversation. She's better at translating than I am. Yes I have a D/D and two D/S's. No dog, but this time of year a lot of ticks. Weather has been very hot until lately and now we seem to have a rain shower every afternoot. Keep up the jolly ol stuff.
Dan
Tennessee
Old 08-31-2002, 01:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Wink Dan' Speach !!!

Hi Dan...
Are you a devil for punnishment...over here 3 times...I guess you could NOT believe what you SAW the first time LOL... Good on you...FOREIGN LANGUAGE ....I love that one !!
I am a little deaf... DEAF, so imagine how I cope at WDW, the Cast Members are realy GREAT, and we get there in the end, good job I can MAP-READ...or I'll end up wetting myself...LOL .
So you live in the MUSIC state of the WORLD...wow !!!!....I kn people who are there, live in Mc. Manville..nr. Choo-Choo...!!!lol.
How long have you liked A/S's ??...ME...I just saw one once, and well that was that....I kinda loved 'em ever since...
Take care now, Nice to talk to you...Chris.....
Old 08-31-2002, 04:07 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Heloo Chris,
We loved all of our trips to England and Scotland. You have a very nice country. I think it will last a while longer. Just don't start no more wars with the USA.
We have admired Airstreams from a distance for quite a while. Only three months ago found the one we were looking for. A 1971 23' Safari. Since then we have been busy cleaning and fixing it for the road. Not there yet, but soon. Have learned an enormous amount from this forum. Don't think I could have made it if I hadn't found it some months ago. Wonderful info on how to fix and enjoy.
We live just outside Nashville (Music City USA). Lots of pickin' and grinnin' around here. Almost every waiter in the restaurants is from somewhere else and hoping to hit it big in songwriting or singing. I happens overnight.
Good to "hear" from you.
Dan
Old 08-31-2002, 07:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Hi Chris,
I'm in Tullahoma which is just 30 miles or so from McMinnville. I go through there every once in awhile when headed to Knoxville, TN. I have some hunting buddies who live in McMinnville, one of which is a professional bowler we call "Slim" because he is about 6'7" tall and another named Clarence who owned a 31' Airstream until last year. Slim also is into 60's classic cars.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 03:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Wink Hi Dan...

Hi Dan...
Good morning & GREETINGS from over the POND...lol,
I Used to stay at Aberdeen & Edinburgh, in my younger days, My Cousin still lives there...my uncle was in the Army at Aberdeen, that 2 week vacation lasted almost 2 years...I just LOVED that place, with ALL my cousins...
Do You play any musical instruments at all, and have you tried to make your fortune at SINGING....Well I just HOPE U R better at it than I are...I got ALL thumbs and dyslexic fingers, though I love BANJO music...and wish I could play one, I realy DO, I tried the GUITAR once...( another story )...
I doubt if WE will start on the States again...lmao, I only wish the whisper was TRUE about one of out '60s P/Ms, wanting America to take ENGLAND and make it the 51st. STATE, Sir Harold Wilson had the RIGHT idea...only a distant dream now...
Well I wish U the best with your A/S and travels, hope U soon get HER/HIM fixed up and mobile, U B good now, have a realy NICE day2day...Thoughts 2 you and your Family...Chris.....
Old 09-01-2002, 04:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Cool Davidz71...Craig

Hi there...
... I know a David & Kath, from Mc. Mannville, they own A/S too...NICE people...how U doin Guys....
Funny 'cos I LOVE the old American " HEAVY METAL " too, up 2 abt late '69, give me any old thing, and I'll LOVE it, I'm into "Route 66", and have a little collection of bits 'n bobs, looking 4ward 2 our Nov: visit to FL: 21 nights of BLISS...NOT 4getting the ALL U can eat...and OH BOY!!!!...can I eat, there's just something about the way you guys cook a CHICKEN... ...
Seems a wonderful Ten: a very TUNEFUL STATE, 2say the least...do U play music at all...I'm 2 left EARS...a little DEAF...so I am VERY SORRY 2 say, that God's gift of MUSIC is wasted on me, I listen to it, naturally...love C/W...and R/R and BANJO...I can't SING at all, so if I ever get 2 come to NASHVILLE...It's OK Guys...I aint NO competition ...lmao...
I read books abt USA, I got R-66, History, Indians, lots of Motoring books too...( ...only 'cos they got a LOT of pictures in them...LOL )...I got a few Video's too...I don't kn, I guess I live in the WRONG place.
Well You enjoy your day2day, B-Good...Chris.....
Old 09-01-2002, 06:44 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

No music

Hello Chris,
I can't even play the radio very well. My wife said that if I ever try to sing again, she's going to leave. Haven't done any singing lately, but do a lot of quiet humming just to stay in practice. No musical talent for me. I am an artist and figure that talent was passed on to me instead of musical abilities.
We have traveled most of the UK and loved it. Edinburgh is a lovely city. So is London. We love the museums. However, you really must do something about all those narrow roads in the country. White knuckles every mile of the trip. Especially those 6'6" roadways. The last time we were there were in a small town called Dent. Stopped a fellow who actually wore a monicle and asked for directions. His first comment was "how did you get here?" Couldn't really say. I did wish we had a Northstar system on the car like the Cadillacs do over here. The gal on the phone would still be searching for where we were. Can't get there from here.
Have a good day,
Dan
Old 09-01-2002, 10:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Unhappy Dent a 'Van....

Had me LMAO at that one...RADIO...I liked that....Dent...well yes I kn it...Cumbria, good for hiking, scenery, and DRIVE on the LEFT...lol, I guess it would be a little tricky for one of your vehicles + Airstream, You'll NEED more than a navigation system, maybe a person to WALK ahead of you with a BIG RED FLAG, lol, and close ALL the road for you...Glad you like our little part of the world, I guess I kinda like it too...be nicer if there were a FEW A/Ss on the roads...Yep I love your Cad: Town Cars too...OH !! LUXURY, and the BUICK le sabre custom...( drool )...
Well I gotta go now...DINNER...Mmmmm....
Read U soon...Chris.....
Old 09-01-2002, 04:24 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

English Airstreams

Chris,
We actually rented cars when we were over there. No Airstreams at that time. Roads too narrow. Do you pull an Airstream?
What's for dinner? Just had a Boddington in memory of jolly ol' England. By the by, we love your Yorkshire tea. We buy it whenever we find it over here.
Dan
Old 09-02-2002, 12:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Unhappy Hi Dan...

Say Dan,
How U doin 2day...?, Fine I hope !!! , Sadly I DON'T own an A/S nor a R/V.... , but I are an AVID armchair FAN, so I bet some of the Guys ask, why am I on this site then, well the answer is simple...I LOVE AIRSTREAMS...and talking to you GUYS...
Did I read BOD'S....kinda funny, 'cos I love bUd's, and guiness, I had the amazing cup of TEA in my life...so far, at UNIVERSAL STUDIOS FL:, would you credit it !!!?, I asked for a HOT tea, NO milk NO sugar...it was abt an HOUR b4 I could drink it, mind U it was quite WARM at 94deg, NOW I kn why every one else were drinking ICE TEA
I had brake trouble 2day, on my way from work, my front right made an awful noise, and shook the steering wheel, when I braked...luckily I was very NEAR home, I whipped off the road wheel...and there it was, the caliper was only hanging on to it's mounting bracket by one LOOSE BOLT...the other must have worked loose and fell out, blinking scarey, I'll tell ya.
Still I mended it, tested it, and took it to my local garage for a brake test on the rollers, and quick look over, at only a small charge of £5.00 ( $2-50 ) ish, it IS money WELL spent.
Oh I also re-bled the the system too, just to ballance 'em all out, and give them NEW BLOOD...
What work do U do Dan...and does your D/W work, and help you repair your A/S...LOL... .
Well I best be making tracks, a lot to do yet, as I'm up at 4am, for work....B-Good...Chris.....
Old 09-02-2002, 06:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Hello Chris,
Glad the brake problem was not too bad.
We are good. My two D/S's came out today to celebrate the opening of Dove season. Even my grandson went with us. We had a good shoot and lot of fun.
I am retired from the Graphic Art/ Advertising business and concentrate on oil paintings and woodwork, along with fixing up our Airstream. My wife is a retired Resigtered Nurse.
Dan
Old 09-03-2002, 11:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Cool Re-Paint...

Hi Dan... Hee Hee !!!.
...How U doin 2day, Painting...Wow U wanna see me paint the garden gates...NOT a pretty sight, I can tell ya...lol, Good 4 U, I love art, We went to Salvador Dali museum whilst we were at Orlando, well Dan we were so close to it, at Busch Gdns, seemed a shame 2 miss out on see-ing it...I Quite liked it, infact we ALL did, St. Pete's it was, as we crossed the Tampa Bay Bridge we saw Dolphins jumping, Oh boy ! it was spectacular...
I gather old bits of wood from work, and turn them into Bird feeders & nesting boxes, my D/W puts out bread for them to eat...then MOANS when they poop on her washing she just put out on the line to air off...LMAO x 10... .
Do you EAT the birds, or is it only sport ?, many years ago I used to belong to a GUN CLUB, and shoot match cards, but now I too busy in other things, I love METAL DETECTING...and DREAM of un-earthing an AIRSTREAM in the middle of some muddy field..lol, ( well I am ENGLISH )... I found some good things over the years, I love to get out at this time of the year, as it is harvesting time now, I got about 30 fields I am allowed to go into, so who knows...one day I may find our fortune....
Well hope you & your Family have a good day2day, and remember...A Good word costs the same as a BAD word...
B-Good...Chris.....
Old 09-03-2002, 03:20 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Chris,
Working on the Airstream today. Took the water pump out and apart to fix a leak. I may have fixed it. Also building a magazine rack for it. The water heater is seeping water around the bottom. Probably seen its better days. It is only 31 years old.
Yes, we eat the doves. Just the breasts, quite tasty.
Be careful with the digging, you might find one of those V2 rockets that were sent over by those folks during WW2. That would make for a explosive day.
Dan