Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
FloydFest XII 2013 Update

All -

Quick update on FloydFest XII in July 2013 in Floyd, Virginia.

I've been closely monitoring the ticket sale situation for 2013 as the festival has gotten more and more popular and demand for the limited number of on-site parking spots has increased. So I decided to go Type A and camped out on the Ticket Sales site at 2pm EST today, refreshing until they went up, and apparently got lucky in scoring an onsite RV pass. Alas, they apparently SOLD OUT in 90 seconds flat. Including the X-spot onsite parking passes.

For those considering attending with your Airstream, off-site RV parking, including powered RV parking, tickets are still available, but you may want to act fast.

Another great option apparently is boondocking in the nearby Rocky Knob park, right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. In that case you might get an off-site parking pass (will that sell out? who knows?) so you'd need to drive then take the courtesy shuttle. Or you could just bike in.

Either way, if all goes to plan, Camp Airstream Dad should be up on site and of course always happy to entertain fellow Airstreamers.

Cheers,

Airstream Dad
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charleston , West Virginia
I bought my FloydFest onsite RV pass the day they went on sale and got mine before they sold out. Looking forward to returning for FloydFest 2013. Don't forget that Delfest tickets and RV passes go on sale tomorrow morning at 10am EST.
DelFest

Photo of my friends Airstream
BREWHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow!

We discovered Floyd, Va last year. What an incredibly cool place.

We will be in Minnesota this July. Maybe another year.

Maggie
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
FloydFest RV camping

Here's a pic of my Airstream at FloydFest 2012. I can't wait to see who else they add to the bill. I've heard rumors of Willie Nelson.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Brewhead,

I recall seeing at least several Airstreams last year in the on-site RV lot, probably yours included (I was in the off-site lot).

Are these folks in the Forums community? I wonder if it might be fun to reach out to see if folks are interested in assembling on site to create a sort of mini-rally.

Are you interested?

Airstream Dad
Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
FloydFest

I saw handful of Airstreams there and only meet one owner this past year. I think it would be fun to have a mini-rally. However my weekends in the spring and summer are already getting full with FloydFest, Delfest and the Appalachian Uprising. Maybe we should rally at a festival, I've been going to the Appalachian Uprising for years and they don't have assigned RV parking so you can set up anywhere on site and save room for some buddies.

Take a look at this pic from the Appalachian Uprising from last year, you can see my Airstream in the middle. They have RV camping in front of me and it also stretches up the holler behind me.

They already confirmed Del McCoury Band for 2014
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Brewhead,

The mini-rally I was curious about was of Airstreamers attending FloydFest with RV on-site passes rather than a separate event. We could, for example, approach Across the Way productions (the producers of FloydFest) about reserving 2-4 adjoining sites in the on-site lot. Of course, not sure if all the Airstreams there are about the community, maybe some just want to come and party rather than have, for example, a pack of the usual feral Airstream kids terrorizing their camps looking for snacks.

Of course, if we wanted to be really ambitious, we could talk to them about creating an area for Airstreams such as they do for VW Camper Buses currently. Maybe if they see how cool grouping us together is, they can make it a permanent feature.

All stuff we can maybe brainstorm over Sidecars in my camp.

Cheers,

Airstream Dad
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Sounds good to me for FloydFest, let me know if it gets hammered out. I usually roll in on Thursday morning.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Dad View Post
All -

Another great option apparently is boondocking in the nearby Rocky Knob park, right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. In that case you might get an off-site parking pass (will that sell out? who knows?) so you'd need to drive then take the courtesy shuttle. Or you could just bike in.

Either way, if all goes to plan, Camp Airstream Dad should be up on site and of course always happy to entertain fellow Airstreamers.

Cheers,

Airstream Dad
Thanks for leading the charge on Airstream camping at Floydfest. I have camped at Rocky Knob the last two years and it has worked out well. I usually stay in loop C (generator free) because they do have some rv sites that will accomodate Airstreams if they are not too long. The sites are large with particularly large pine trees. It is quiet and peaceful. No hookups, but nice bath houses (no showers). It is only about 3 miles from FF, but too dangerous for riding a bike back and forth (at night). I have a handicap parking pass, so this makes all the difference in the world as the satellite parking and shuttle is a pita. I have camped with some friends the last two years and they ride with me to FF, so that works well too. If others want to camp there, they could ride with me too. I usually go early and stay late.

Photos below are at two different campsites in loop C.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-30_12-51-44_503.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	174403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3032.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	174404  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3421.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	174405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3415.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	174406  

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Jim, can you straighten me out? You are organizing a rally around this? You got a ticket for onsite, but the rest are sold out? Where will this rally be held if you are there but the rest of us interested will be elsewhere?
I still do not know if the date conflict with a family reunion, but would love to come if we can.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
I'm not sure a formal rally can come together at this point, unfortunately primarily due to the crazy demand for on-site RV passes at Floyd - they sold out in 90 seconds, so all of us would needed to have committed to attend and put down the $325 the second they went on sale. I think just Brewhead and I have those passes, unless there are other Airstreamers we don't know about or who aren't in the Forums yet.

I did try to reach out to the production company to organize an on-site Airstream area, but no response. Thus my idea about possibly approaching them in 2013 about something more formal (let's say, a block of ten on-site RV passes reserved for Airstreams, similar to what they do for VW buses) in 2014. That could be a ton of fun.

That being said, there is the Rocky Knob campground option that Dan mentioned, a beautiful campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway right near by (and which I think you might like, knowing your love of trees and boondocking). Dan, please confirm, but I think they have plenty of capacity and you could wait until a few weeks prior to decide, although you might keep an eye on festival tickets as they could sell out. With Rocky Knob, you'd need to drive your TV to the satellite lot daily and shuttle into the festival site.

If you did that, when you do come on site, Frank, you're of course welcome to use my site as a base to leave chairs, cooler, relax in the shade between sets, let your girls hang out with my girls and the other kids, whatever. It's very family friendly.

Cheers,

Airstream Dad