Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Williamsburg , Virginia
Florida Keys

Planning my very first road trip. Just purchased 25 International and headed to Keys in December...Amy suggestions for top rated campsites? Super excited!
sonny.bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I'm just going to follow along. I will camp there sometime. Three more years until I retire..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Start looking for reservations now. Long Key is my favorite but the campground is scheduled to be closed next winter for an upgrade.

Lots of folks swear by Bahia Honda, although I prefer Curry Hammock. All of these are state parks and are relatively inexpensive compared to the commercial parks in the Keys but fill up fast.

Of the commercial campgrounds, I am only familiar with Fiesta Key. Pretty location, have a boat ramp and marina, also a nice restaurant/bar complex. Sites are pretty tight and it is pricey but that is par for the course in the Keys during winter.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Other than the Navy Key West campground be prepared to spend $$$$$ for private commercial campgrounds. The state parks are the best deal. I have been lucky getting spots without prior reservations. It never hurts to stop and ask even if the web sites or the first person you talk too says "full".

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Everyone says the Florida State Parks are great. I stayed at Silver Springs in Ocala and it was. Also stayed at Larry and Peny Thompson SP in Miami. Only had room in dry camping but it was excellent anyway. Another state park recommended was Little Manatee River in Tampa Area. Reservations at State Parks are in high demand.

I stayed a couple of nights at a private park in Miami called Miami Everglades. Staff were very rude. Sites very tight. Clean though.

Checked out Florida City RV Park and turned right around.

Seems farther out in the keys you get the more expensive the sites are. Stayed at Sunshine Key but was close to US1 and had a lot of road noise.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I love the keys. Keep in mind there aren't a lot of beaches. IMO, must see is John Pennekamp state park, take the glass bottom boat. Key Largo.
Then in the middle Keys, I like Bahia Honda state park. (real beach). Funny, once I flew over in a helicopter and saw swimmers having fun, and sharks 200' away. The swimmers couldn't see the sharks, but overhead, I could. No one had a problem.

Be sure to check out Big Pine Key and the key deer. Careful, they're not afraid of people and walk out in front of cars.

Key West is a must, but I'd stay 25 miles away and drive. Parking is a pain, but it's worth it. Scooters are popular in Key West.
If it's still there, you must go to "the Half Shell Raw Bar" and enjoy the best conch fritters anywhere. At the foot of Caroline st. Near the shrimp docks. Walk from downtown, if you feel like it. It defines "laid back".
Key West is a strange place. Bikers, tourists, drunks, gays, and they all get along famously. Impossible to not love it. Mallory park for sunset. It's a free show!

I tried to find rates at campgrounds for December, but it's top secret. (or scary). Call, research, google, go!

You might want to make sure there's no odd events when you're there. May not be for the faint of heart.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
The state parks are best campgrounds and best deal. All are good but Curry Hammock is my favorite. Jolly Rodger is a passport America park so a better commercial deal. There are many private parks. I like the middle key area best although key west is fun.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
In the middle keys, my favorite places to eat at Lazy Days on the Atlantic in Islamorado and Key Fisheries in Marathon. Visit Robbie's to feed the tarpon and they have some nice eco and sunset cruises. There are two good breweries in Islamorado as well. In key west, I like El Saboney for awesome Cuban.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Just just purchased the Airstream? Go ahead and splurge and stay at Blue Water Key just outside Key West. Expensive but one of the nicest. I have a whole thread from last year where we went down the Atlantic side, check it out.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
Keys State Parks

I just checked on Reserve America at both Curry Hammock and Bahia Honda and every site is booked from now until March 2020. Only availability is single days.
Blucolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Florida Keys

Find a place to park away from Duval Street/Mallory Square area and ride bikes. Easy to rent, go everywhere on one. Mostly bikes and scooters. Price to park is outrageous.
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
I stayed at Fiesta key in Jan and going back next Jan. Its a little pricey but it does hav everything.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Florida Keys

Anyone stay at Jolly Roger Rv resort on Vaca Key? Allstay reviews are really positive.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I haven’t stayed at Jolly Roger but have stayed many times at Curry Hammock which is nearby. It’s a great location because your close to both Marathon and Islamorada but can also make an easy day trip to key west. The SS Wreck near Jolly Roger is a good place to eat. Jolly Roger is still a passport America park which can get you a good discount if your not in high season.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Planning to go over year end holidays. Ended up booking at Sunshine Key. Both parks seem to get very positive feedback.

Should anyone be interested JR will begin taking reservations for that holiday period on June 3rd.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #16
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’m not sure what we’ve signed up for, but I went ahead and reserved a site in Key West. We’ve never been there, so I didn’t make it for very long. It looks like they pack trailers in there like sardines. We will be at Boyd’s next Jan 15. Guess we will get to “enjoy” the Key West experience.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yep, real estate in the Keys is incredibly pricey so RV parks tend to be tight. Among restaurants in Key West, I like Jack Flats (across from Margaritaville but better and cheaper) and the Turtle Kraals. They do have city busses and they are dirt cheap, but we always cruised around on our bikes. The city cemetery is historic as is Truman's Winter White House.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote