Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Alabaster , Alabama
Fixing bad water heater switch placement near light switch

In our 2016 Serenity bathroom, Airstream placed the water heater switches too close to the light switch, which would cause the wrong switch to be switched on or off at night or in low light.

To remedy this problem, I removed the water heater switches and re-mounted them at the same location inside an outdoor electrical box with cover. I did not think to take pictures of the installation, but it is an easy fix. Got the box at Lowe's, and the attached pictures show the end result.

Hope this helps someone; made life on the road easier for us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4925.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	344770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4926.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	344771  

gmattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
In our case it's not that we will mistake the LP water heater switch for the light switch (if the light doesn't turn on you probably have tripped the wrong switch) but the fact that with stuff on the counter you will trip a heater switch unwillingly; they could have been placed 12" above the counter. Your solution will prevent this.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Your pictures and idea is great. But to be more useful to idiot folks like me can you help with: What did you cut the sidewall of the new placement with? How did you secure it so screws won't pull out? How did you fish the wires to the new locatoin? What did you do to block any old spaces from the old placement?
Obviously you are very skilled but share more of your skill and problem resolution would be very helpful My father in law was an engine designer and used to do this to me...send me a picture and say here you go....
The devil is in the details and you clearly have the details so please share.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Alabaster , Alabama
My bad, I did the mod last year and didn't think about documenting or posting it then.

Going from memory, the water heater switch assembly pops out of the wall and the wires connecting it are slip on if I recall. I disconnected the switch after taking it off-the-wall.

I cut a quarter inch thick piece of plywood that I mounted the switch on to. The plywood piece was cut to fit into the outdoor electrical box. I screwed the electrical box to the wall (the wall did not need to be cut or altered) after running the wires through it. The last thing I did was connect the wires to the switches and then I Gorilla glued the plywood piece with the switch assembly to the receptacle. Have 2 more pic's.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4928.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	344817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4929.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	344818  

gmattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Thank you for the additional information and additional pictures. It helps. I now see that you have a different heater and consequently switch configuration than I do. But the ideas of mounting the box are interesting for other purposes down the road.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Water heater switch - my $1.07 separator

Using a 3x5 index card holder from Staples, I created a separator between the water heater switches and the light switch. I cut out the back of the card holder, affixed it to the wall with command strips, and put a small styrofoam spacer to push the snap against. The index card holder cost $1.07. Im sure the command strips cost more than that!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water heater placement_open.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	345577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater_placement_closed.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	345578  

RAH is offline   Reply With Quote