Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
He'd like to stay in a hotel. *sigh* I guess I'll look for one somewhere around Gary/Hammond...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
A little further west would be less congested a bit. Somewhere around the I355/I80 interchange. I355 is pretty new...like 2 years. So if your atlas is older it might show it ending at I88. It goes all the way through and is actually the only pleasure to drive in the area. Big, wide and new. Easy too get up to O'Hare and back, and right on your way.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Langton , Ontario
Hi
We live just east of London Ontario and have bought 2 Airstreams from Can Am.
We have made a few trips to Wisconson crossing the border at Sarnia/Port Huron without any problems.
On our Christmas trip to Georgia we crossed at Windsor/Detroit there was lots of construction around the bridge with very narrow lanes and sharp turns we will not cross there again.
Enjoy your new trailer.
Dave
Davadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Excellent! I'll plan on 355 then. Davadar, anks for the tip -- now that you mention it, I remember that my sales guy said my paperwork routes through Port Huron! I wonder if that's why?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Next question: out of Port Huron, is it better for a newbie to go on I96/94 or I69/96/196? They seem much of a muchness to me in terms of time and mileage, but I don't know the traffic patterns through Detroit or Grand Rapids.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Langton , Ontario
We have always gone 96/94 without a problem. This time of year you should check the road conditions for the best route. LOTS of Snow in London now.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davadar View Post
We have always gone 96/94 without a problem. This time of year you should check the road conditions for the best route. LOTS of Snow in London now.
I saw that. *sigh* I've left a LOT of time before I have to be back in Denver for a home and garden show for work. Hopefully I've left enough -- and certainly it's not enough for being stuck somewhere because of a snowstorm. My B plan is to find somewhere to leave the trailer and come back for it if there's huge weather issues.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Zlee

It is one thing to drive a vehicle from London, Ont. to Colorado in the middle of winter. Heck, I am from up north (Detroit) and I am always up for an adventure and never hesitate to drive anyplace in spite of the weather. However, for a newbie to consider towing a new Airstream over the route you are considering in the middle of winter may not be a great idea. Other than being excited about your new trailer, is there a reason that you can not undertake this journey when the weather is better? If it is not necessary to do this, then it is necessary not to do it imho.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Zlee

It is one thing to drive a vehicle from London, Ont. to Colorado in the middle of winter.

<snip>

...for a newbie to consider towing a new Airstream over the route you are considering in the middle of winter may not be a great idea. Other than being excited about your new trailer, is there a reason that you can not undertake this journey when the weather is better? If it is not necessary to do this, then it is necessary not to do it imho.
I'm with Dan on this one.

However, if you do decide to go for it...be safe and don't limit yourself to a time schedule - just go with the flow, if the roads aren't dry & clear, wait until they are.

One more reason not to go in the dead of winter in a snow storm...Mag Cloride or any of the other road salts! Yes, your new trailer has a clearcoat on it, but every little rock that jumps up and hits your trailer (snowplows?) can breach the surface enough for the salts to get in behind it. Salts are awful on aluminum* and will corrode things faster than you can imagine.

If you still decide to go, wash your new baby off at a truck stop/self-serve carwash as soon as possible to minimize the time the corrosive salt is on your trailer.

Shari

*As an experiment, make a loose paste of table salt & water, put it on a sheet of aluminum foil, wait & see what happens overnight!
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Langton , Ontario
Zlee
We bought our Bambi from Can Am at Christmas and they stored it until May free of charge.
Dave
Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
A couple of suggestions for you zlee. I'm sure Can-Am will set you up with all of the proper towing equipment, and maybe even take you for a spin with trailer in tow to get you acquainted with towing. Ask if they don't offer that last bit of advice. Be certain that your tow hitch is set up properly, as well as your brake controller.
I've towed a SOB in the middle of the summer, and it was still a white knuckle experience, simply because I didn't have sway control (13.5ft, towed with a T-Bird, not the best setup) and it was a true religious experience each and every time a tractor trailer came FLYING past us on the Interstate (South Carolina to Central Florida).
Learned my lesson then, be prepared with anything you might want or need BEFORE you hit the road. Now is not the time to skimp. You're making an investment in your Airstream, and you want it to be nice as long as you can possibly do so.
I will say this, I'd avoid night-time travel until you know you feel comfortable with your Airstream and tow vehicle. I tend to do my personal traveling in the middle of the night, simply because of less traffic. Now, this traveling is by car, not by motorhome, we'll see this summer about that part.....
Best of all, you'll be an Airstream owner! Enjoy your Airstream on your way back home!
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
The trouble is that a month after i pick it up, my lease is up.

I'm hoping for good weather, but as I said, if there's bad weather and it stretches out too long for me to get back for work, I'll find somewhere safe to leave it til I can get back to it, whether that's at the beginning of the trip or anywhere along the way.

X - z

Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Sounds as if you 'may' have some 'campfire stories' to tell at our Casini Ranch Rally in April. We will love to hear them and laugh along WITH you.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Neil, by then I may very well have regained my sense of humor!

Hey, I just realized you have a picture of In'n'Out in your avatar...I LOVE In'n'Out!!! Best thing about visiting home in CA. Well, besides seeing my sisters.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Langton , Ontario
Zlee
When you say your lease will be up do you mean your vehicle ? If so why not wait until you get your new vehicle and have Can Am set it up ? They will spend a few hours going over the trailer, the hitch and a test drive with you.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davadar
Zlee
When you say your lease will be up do you mean your vehicle ? If so why not wait until you get your new vehicle and have Can Am set it up ? They will spend a few hours going over the trailer, the hitch and a test drive with you.
No, I mean my lease on my housing. I'm going to be full timing.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #37
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Have you thought about this (I know, crazy) idea... Why not leave London (Ontario) to pick up "London" by pulling into a hotel and letting your Englishman take a taxi to your hotel? Get a room in nearby Oakbrook Terrace or Lombard, IL. His taxi ride would be 20 minutes. Wouldn't that be a lot less stressful for you?

I grew up right outside of O'Hare, in Elmhurst, IL. I know the route to ORD like the back of my hand. The traffic is talked about a lot and it is heavy but you've already proven yourself tough enough to handle it.

I only put this idea out there because the whole Rockford area thing is a long way from O'Hare (in time, traffic, and aggravation but maybe not miles.) If this were my trip I would pull into any of the Oakbrook Terrace, Yorktown, or Lombard hotels (plenty of deals on Expedia/Priceline) because this area is close to the airport, you can park a trailer/car in the hotel lots, and you are not far off of your I-80 route. It would take more effort on your partner's part, but hey, you are pulling your fair share.

When I go back to visit family, I go to priceline.com and type in that I want a 5 star hotel in those cities and want to pay $75-90. I have stayed at some amazing hotels that usually run over $220/nt. The Westin, Embassey Suites, there's the McDonald's World HQ Hotel that is like a luxury forested resort and it is right there. Just sayin'

The downside is that you don't get your first night in the Bambino and it would cost a little more money for the room vs. gas/campsite --but maybe not. I've got a 16' Bambi and pull it with an F-350 Diesel (way overkill) but I have it superchipped and get 34 mpg. When I pulled it with my husband's Yukon Denali, I get 8-11 mpg.

Whatever you decide, you're my hero! We women who drive and tow and pull are awesome. I've been through London, Ontario and you'll actually pass me in Flint, MI if you take the Blue Water Bridge (I-69) into Michigan. If you need a pit stop, I'm right off the expressway. Would love to toast all of your dreams coming true!

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Mellen, I was thinking of stopping at Bolingbrook, as there's an Aloft there and if they have parking, I've always wanted to spend a night or two in one! I'll def consider closer, though.

You're right, I've done rather a lot of driving in all kinds of vehicles, and I'm not particularly nervous of driving in Chicago -- just of towing in Chicago! Though I'm giving myself four whole days to get from London to Chicago. TBH, I'm hoping to get there pretty early and finally get to see The Field Museum again as I've tried the last few times I've been in Chicago and never managed.

At any rate, are you kidding? I'm definitely going to meet my guy at O'Hare--we haven't seen each other in months, so I'll be hopping up and down impatiently at Int'l Arrivals.

I'd LOVE to come by Flint -- I'll PM you, I haven't really made solid plans, as I figure what with possible weather, a border crossing, and who knows what all, I'll just take it as it comes. But I'd def love to share a toast over the Bambino with you one way or another!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Mellen60

34 mpg towing a bambi with an F350 diesel? This is a typo right? Either that or this really is some kind of "superchip".

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
A couple of suggestions for you zlee. I'm sure Can-Am will set you up with all of the proper towing equipment, and maybe even take you for a spin with trailer in tow to get you acquainted with towing. Ask if they don't offer that last bit of advice. Be certain that your tow hitch is set up properly, as well as your brake controller.
I've towed a SOB in the middle of the summer, and it was still a white knuckle experience, simply because I didn't have sway control (13.5ft, towed with a T-Bird, not the best setup) and it was a true religious experience each and every time a tractor trailer came FLYING past us on the Interstate (South Carolina to Central Florida).
Learned my lesson then, be prepared with anything you might want or need BEFORE you hit the road. Now is not the time to skimp. You're making an investment in your Airstream, and you want it to be nice as long as you can possibly do so.
I will say this, I'd avoid night-time travel until you know you feel comfortable with your Airstream and tow vehicle. I tend to do my personal traveling in the middle of the night, simply because of less traffic. Now, this traveling is by car, not by motorhome, we'll see this summer about that part.....
Best of all, you'll be an Airstream owner! Enjoy your Airstream on your way back home!
Thanks, Derek

I don't think Zlee will have too much to worry about if Can Am are sorting her out. They wouldn't let her off the lot without making sure she was set up absolutely.
Mrs. T is offline   Reply With Quote