Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2004, 11:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Rivet First trip

We took our first camping trip with our unfinished '58 Traveler. We went to Ruidoso, New Mexico for the annual "Aspencade motorcycle rally". It was sort of an experimental trip to try out what we have acomplished so far in the restoration of the trailer. We had a wounderfull time and for the first time enjoyed the comforts of an RV. We have always used a tent and this was a whole new experience. The trailer is still lacking interior wiring, interior lights, plumbing, toilet and shower but what a difference sleeping in a bed is compared to sleeping on the floor of a tent. Our stove and fridge worked good and we didn't have any problems with anything. Our friends gave us a lot of complements and many thought the trailer was new, and they all wanted the grand tour of the inside. Thanks to Wally and all the people in these forums who have helped and provided answers to to my questions and problems.
Ernie,
'58 Traveler 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:23 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Ernie! Sounds like a great first trip. We have found on our vintage trailer that every trip something different seems to be not working, then we come home and fix it and something else will quit working by the next trip. So as long as it is rolling along safely behind us, that's a good trip!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy even more as you get the ammenities added back in. It's a big step up from a tent. I hate to get rid of our old camping equipment, but I'm pretty certain we'll never be using it again now that we have an airstream Congrats!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Rivet Thanks Stephanie

With all the excitement of the recent trip, I forgot to mention that we did have sometrhing break. We were all settled in one night but decided to go out for a walk and I turned the door lever to open the door and the lever broke off in my hand. We were temporarily locked in but thanks to my Leatherman in my belt (multi-purpose tool), I was able to open the door from the inside.
I guess things will go wrong sometimes like you said, but so far I have enjoyed doing all the restoration and repairs. Thanks for the kind words Stephanie.
Ernie
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote