Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2021, 11:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
First time to Monument Valley

Dear Air Forum,

My wife and I newbies and just finished our first long trip to Orlando FL. We were there for a month and loved it. Our next long trip is to Monument Valley AZ and are either going to start with a stay over to in Scottsdale or finish our trip there before heading back to CT. I was wondering if anyone had some advice as to where to stay in Monument Valley with full hookups and if our planned visit in August is a good time to go. We plan on being on the road for a month with several trips to other sights along the way. I heard Gouldings is great, but was hoping not to travel as far north as Utah. But then again starting there as our first destination and then heading South might be our Plan B.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Silverminer
2022 FBQ International
Ford F150 V6 Eco Boost (soon upgrading to an F250)
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:17 AM   #2
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverminer View Post
Dear Air Forum,

My wife and I newbies and just finished our first long trip to Orlando FL. We were there for a month and loved it. Our next long trip is to Monument Valley AZ and are either going to start with a stay over to in Scottsdale or finish our trip there before heading back to CT. I was wondering if anyone had some advice as to where to stay in Monument Valley with full hookups and if our planned visit in August is a good time to go. We plan on being on the road for a month with several trips to other sights along the way. I heard Gouldings is great, but was hoping not to travel as far north as Utah. But then again starting there as our first destination and then heading South might be our Plan B.

Silverminer
2022 FBQ International
Monument Valley is such a special place! But, may I suggest that you make sure the Tribal Park is open... the last two times I was there it was closed: COVID. Of course you can enjoy a visit to the area without visiting the Navajo Tribal Park, but it's a better experience when it's open (drive out to John Ford Point!). Also, Gouldings is essentially across the road from the entrance to the Tribal Park. Be sure to visit the 'museum' that is the Goulding's old home. Never camped at Monument Valley... we stay up in Bluff, UT.

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Dear Air Forum,

Silverminer
2022 FBQ International
The KOA (we stayed there) is near the entrance of the park. We were there mid august and temps were 90+ and 65 at night. The tribal area was open and masks required. If you are hikers hike the Monument Canyon loop trail. It costs $20 to get into the park. Another cool spot near by is Valley of the Gods.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
We boondocked at Valley of the Gods last June...very hot, but so beautiful. You might consider a night or two there...it wasn't hard to get our 27' up to a nice spot about a mile from SR163.

Unfortunately for us, the Tribal Park was closed due to Covid, but apparently open now...do check. We also stayed at Gouldings...it's a nice full-hookup campground though the sites are very close together.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Look carefully at your maps. You'll discover that the valley is in far northern AZ, and that the road entering the park is, in fact, in Utah. Adjust your plans accordingly!

Lynn
Old 12-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
SEATTLE , WA
We have been through Monument Valley several times, most recently last August when everything was open. Although that could change with Omnicrom- the Navajo nation does not mess around when it comes to Covid.

Just my 2 cents - Monument Valley is spectacular, but spots like Moab/Arches National Park, Zion, Bryce and Page/Lake Powell are just a few hours drive. Coming all the way from CT it would be a shame for you to miss them. Such a beautiful part of the country!
bcheever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
The Monument Valley is beautiful, we have stayed @ Gouldings which was a very nice facility. August may be very warm, September might be better. As bcheever noted there are many beautiful areas less than a days drive from Monument Valley, I will list a few - Arches/Canyonlands - Mesa Verde National Park - North Rim - Capital Reef Natl. Park - Grand Staircase Escalante - Zion Natl. Park. If you make time to see any of these you will not regret it.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
We stayed at Dead Horse State Park as our last stop prior to extended off-grid camping. Absolutely the best campground we have ever stayed in. Did the Shafer Switchbacks (hairpin turns & 19% grade) which led to the Thelma & Louise launch point. Then on to the pot-ash ponds and Moab proper. In Moab the visitor center is very knowledgeable of current conditions.
https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse/

Also recommend the Edge of the Cedars State Park Museum - real science is being done there:
https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/edge-of-the-cedars/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monumant Valley with rain storm & canyon.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	409927  
Otis Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
I agree with the comments on Gouldings. I felt it was a great campground, spectacular views and phenomenal history. At the camp office, we arranged a full day tour w/lunch of sites within the valley. I had such a huge grin all day that i ate lots of sand! It was an incredible tour.
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
I've read about temperatures that time of year. May need to go in May or early June since we have to visit family in Scottsdale and we have a small dog.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgBullet View Post
We boondocked at Valley of the Gods last June...very hot, but so beautiful. You might consider a night or two there...it wasn't hard to get our 27' up to a nice spot about a mile from SR163.

Unfortunately for us, the Tribal Park was closed due to Covid, but apparently open now...do check. We also stayed at Gouldings...it's a nice full-hookup campground though the sites are very close together.
Are generators allowed for boondocking?
Old 12-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Look carefully at your maps. You'll discover that the valley is in far northern AZ, and that the road entering the park is, in fact, in Utah. Adjust your plans accordingly!

Lynn
Yes, I figured that out earlier today. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
The Monument Valley is beautiful, we have stayed @ Gouldings which was a very nice facility. August may be very warm, September might be better. As bcheever noted there are many beautiful areas less than a days drive from Monument Valley, I will list a few - Arches/Canyonlands - Mesa Verde National Park - North Rim - Capital Reef Natl. Park - Grand Staircase Escalante - Zion Natl. Park. If you make time to see any of these you will not regret it.
Hi Ken,
Just curious what to do about my small dog? He was fine with an AC's running on his own for an hour or two In Fl., but the temperatures I'm sure will be a lot hotter there. Which is why we so far tend to like full hook ups. I'm pretty sure none of the tours allow dogs.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
Thanks Ken. Just curious how bringing our dog fits in to this trip.
What's the protocol for pets??
Old 12-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheever View Post
We have been through Monument Valley several times, most recently last August when everything was open. Although that could change with Omnicrom- the Navajo nation does not mess around when it comes to Covid.

Just my 2 cents - Monument Valley is spectacular, but spots like Moab/Arches National Park, Zion, Bryce and Page/Lake Powell are just a few hours drive. Coming all the way from CT it would be a shame for you to miss them. Such a beautiful part of the country!
I agree. Which is why I'm thinking taking g in some of the sites further north first then heading south the Monument Valley might be the way to go.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #17
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Following as Monument Valley is on my "to do" list!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #18
Bompagene

1979 31' Sovereign
Pahrump , Nevada
Having been to Monument Valley many times I can confirm that Goulding’s is your best choice. I see from your profile that you are driving an F150. Your truck is very capable of the road into the park. Driving yourself is a great way to see and enjoy MV. The map and information is good. Take the dog with you! August is hot and is monsoon season, keep a close watch on the weather as flash floods are a real possibility. The entire area known as Color Country is some of the most spectacular places in the country! The swap meet in Kayenta on Wednesday is a true rez experience and definitely worth a visit, everything one needs for life in the real world is there from tires to sheep medication!
Old 12-31-2021, 05:33 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Quote:
Are generators allowed for boondocking?
Yes. Valley of the Gods is BLM land, dispersed camping. Common sense and courtesy would dictate how long and when you use your generator. We had no other campers within a half mile of us.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
Quote:
Thanks Ken. Just curious how bringing our dog fits in to this trip.
What's the protocol for pets??
We actually travel with 3 small dogs, including them is an appealing aspect of RV travel. Sometimes when we have full hook ups we will leave them in air conditioned trailer but not too long in case of AC problems. In cooler climates (or evenings) we feel like we can leave them with less worry. We tend to avoid things like organized tours, we take day trips in our TV with the dogs included, often we find patio dining where they are welcome. Many National parks welcome pets in the campground but not on trails and this does limit some hiking opportunities. In many popular destinations there are reputable doggy daycares which we have used on occasion.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote