Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #41
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Great forum support!

So sorry you had that experience Mike. We all get our first trip/or later oops! I learn daily from the collective wisdom and checklists on this forum! We were lucky to benefit from the wisdom of others on our first trip out, and gave copies of some forum arrival/departure checklists to the folks who bought our 79. I'm sure that it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Numerous variations are out there. Personalizing your own departure checklist is best! Here are only a few, though the 1st isn't a departure or walk-around list at all...

New Trailer Shopping List

Hitting the road check list

Check Lists
Old 03-29-2006, 08:10 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
So what you are suggesting is that when the switch is turned to the "store" position, the off position, the brakes will not function when the emergency disconnect plug is pulled from the trailer a-frame when the trailer brakes loose. Now, that is a major, MAJOR problem!!

If you are correct, then there ought to be a huge warning sign somewhere indicating that fact. Have I missed something? Can we get confirmation, because this is a serious safety issue.
I spoke with the AS dealer and they verified this:

In the event of an accidental separation of the TV and the trailer, the break-away switch will set and lock the trailer brakes for a sufficient length of time to stop the trailer. The switch is activated when the wire attached to it and to the TV pulls out the small pin in the front of the unit.

This switch will function no matter what position your battery disconnect is in.

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #43
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Maybe the new ones are different - but I don't see how they can be. My owners manual (97 Safari) warns against towing with the battery disconnect set to Off. The reason given is that the battery will be the only source of power in the event the break-away switch is pulled.

Perhaps check with your airstream dealer again - ask him what will be the power source to power the brake magnets if the battery is disconnected? Does he think the battery disconnect is bypassed with a direct link or something? Or something else?
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:48 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
I knew the grey water tank was full because the shower wouldn't drain. I'm pretty sure the monitor indications are accurate. However, the monitor may not be as linear as the markings indicate. It seems as if the amount of water needed to go from half to full in the fresh water tank and in the grey water tank was less than necessary to go from zero to half. Not a scientific study, just an impression.

Our AS has pretty good capacities, among the best in the Safari line. Supposedly, they are 39 gallons each for black and fresh and 37 gallons for grey. If I could change the proportions, I'd reduce the black and add the reduced amount to both grey and fresh, probably with more allocation to the grey. Don't even want to contemplate filling the black before using up all the grey.
In an emergency or to get by for a short time you can drain off some gray into a bucket and dump into the toilet. Sometimes to save gray space wife will do dishes in a pan and pour into the toilet. You can easily stretch you gray another day sometimes two. Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:21 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
In an emergency or to get by for a short time you can drain off some gray into a bucket and dump into the toilet. Sometimes to save gray space wife will do dishes in a pan and pour into the toilet. You can easily stretch you gray another day sometimes two. Pieman
Thanks, Mike. I really like these ideas. The black water tank has much more capacity than needed so your suggestions will help us even out the distribution in the tanks.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #46
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Maybe the new ones are different - but I don't see how they can be. My owners manual (97 Safari) warns against towing with the battery disconnect set to Off. The reason given is that the battery will be the only source of power in the event the break-away switch is pulled.

Perhaps check with your airstream dealer again - ask him what will be the power source to power the brake magnets if the battery is disconnected? Does he think the battery disconnect is bypassed with a direct link or something? Or something else?
I think that "battery disconnect" is almost misleading. It's actually a battery isolator that completely isolates the battery from the coach. Unless they've done something different in the wide body coaches that would keep the breakaway switch 'hot' while everything else is dead?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
here's a link to the old wally byam checklist...

http://dwmorrison.com/airstreamchecklist.pdf

it appears in one of the more recent airstream books - i forget which one.

don't feel too bad, last year i tore off all four stabilizers. i was in a real rush packing up as i was trying to get to a ny giants football game. needless to say, we missed the kickoff.

i now keep a supply of the checklists in my glove box.

--dave
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:00 PM   #48
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
I think that "battery disconnect" is almost misleading. It's actually a battery isolator that completely isolates the battery from the coach. Unless they've done something different in the wide body coaches that would keep the breakaway switch 'hot' while everything else is dead?

Roger
Thanks for clearing that up!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
From time to time in my forgetfulness I approach the MoHo from the drivers side.... no door there dummy.... then proceed to walk around the rear to get to the side door. It looks like a walk around but is actually just a "fake out" for anyone who might be wondering what the heck I'm doing on the wrong side of the bus.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
When in more wild camping areas (where we usually go) we attach a green garden hose to a special cap for our dump valve and let the grey water trickle out into the weeds away from the campsite. It's just soapy water, soaks into the ground, and no different than the tenter next door pouring his dishwater into the grass. This does not apply to crowded "civilized" RV parks, but they usually have full hookups anyway.