Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
First ever long haul

We leave sunday 07/31 to travel from western washington to north easternish Indiana. This will be the first time that i've "camped" that far away from home. We plan on taking a week to get to Chain-o-lakes in Indiana, but i'm wondering if there are any last minute tips from the experienced 'streamers here.

I feel like we have everything ready, but i'm sure there's something that i just haven't thought of, that i'm going to really wish i'd have either done or brought with me.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Good luck on your journey. Enjoy the trip, and don't worry too much. Things usually work just fine.

Safe travels.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
An adequate weather radio, our first loooonnng distance trip was last year from Western WA ST to Gillette, WY and it was smack in the middle of the thunder/tornado/hail/ season. Keeping a watch on the weather (especially hail) was a big deal for us. We had just rehabbed our Argosy complete with new paint and I sure did not want to take it out on its maiden voyage and "sink" it. It all worked out fine but a weather radio was important.
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . . Take your time, be safe, make it fun ! We just did ATL to Yellowstone to Boise to Grand Canyon and back (43 days) and it was BIG fun. You'll have a ball. regards, Craig
Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
First ever long haul

Greetings Uzzah!

Since 1995, I have spent from four to six weeks traveling in one of my Airstreams every year. The following is a list of items that I make sure are in my coach:
  • Six-ton bottle jack to change a flat . . . a necessity with my single axle Minuet, but nice to have even with my tandem axle Overlander.
  • Lug wrench and breaker bar to fit trailer lugs.
  • Compact air compressor for daily tire pressure adjustment (I always check tire pressures in the early morning prior to departure).
  • Tire guage that reads to at least 100 psi.
  • Spare bulbs for all exterior lights.
  • Spare 12-volt fuses for all coach circuits as well as tow vehicle circuits.
  • Spare 30 or 50 AMP fuse for underhood tow vehicle trailer wiring junction box.
  • Spare air filters for air conditioner and furnace.
  • Torch for lighting pilot lights.
  • Flexible bottle brush for cleaning air intake for water heater.
  • Spare car and trailer ends for umbilical cable . . . . before switching to round pin connectors, I had to replace one or the other umbilical cable ends every season due to corossion.
  • Spare water filter cartridge.
  • Heavy duty brass water pressure regulator (I attach this to campground water supply before connecting my hose).
  • Electrical adapters
    • 30-AMP to 15-AMP
    • 30-AMP to 50-AMP
  • Extension cord . . . rated for 30-AMP RV use (25 feet) . . . . as strange as it may sound, several of my favorite campgrounds have inconvenient electical connections and it is necessary to have an extension of at least 15 feet to connect to shore power.
  • Under patio awning mat. I initially thought that these mats were just a lot of extra trouble, but I have learned that they really cut down on the dirt tracked into the coach and they make the under-canopy patio area more appealing.
  • Weather radio . . . regardless of time of year, it seems like there is always some type of storm to be prepared for as well as the other emergency messages that may be broadcast on weather radio.
  • Citizen Band Radio . . . I have a 40-channel permanently mounted in my Overlander and a portable that I keep in my Minuet. Often cell phone reception can be unpredictable in some of my favorite camping areas and the Citizen Band radio can come in handy to summon help in an emergency.
  • Reese On-the-Ball lubricant for the hitch ball.
  • Distilled water for coach batteries.
  • Blue ice containers for temperature maintenance in refrigerator.
  • 12-volt wiring repair kit.
  • PAR water pump rebuild kit . . . I refuse to give up on my PAR water pumps when a $30.00 rebuild kit will add another five to 10 years onto the pump life (my '78 Minuet still has its original PAR pump).
  • Spare Snap-Up Bracket retainer clips.
  • Spare safety chain retainer clips.
  • Spare hitch pin with cotter key.
  • Rebuild kit for coupler assembly. Marvel rebuild kits continue to remain availalbe and the cost is minimal so I carry a kit for each of my coaches in my tool kit.
  • Safety triangles for use if it becomes necessary to stop along the edge of the highway during and emergency.
  • Rubber mallet for reseating wheel covers that try to work themselves loose during a day's travel.
  • Lynx levelers or leveling boards, and a reliable level for properly leveling coach.
  • Heavy duty wheel chocks for blocking coach when parked on a slope.
  • Spare Thetford dump valve covers (with and without garden hose adapters).
  • spare thetford dump hose adapter.
Two of my three under-lounge storage tubs are filled with the various things named above, and I just keep a list of items that need to be replaced as each trip progresses.

Enjoy your getaway!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Enjoy the trip....

I too was very nervous on our first trip, developed a habit that has served me well and lasted 24yrs.

At every rest stop do a complete TV and AS walk-around, the first thing I discovered....the trailer plug dragging the road, it now gets zip-tied on every trip. If we we are going to continue into the night, check all lights.

You'll be surprised how quickly the travel becomes part of the adventure.

Stream Safe...

Bob
Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I really agree with the walk around the trailer at every stop , especially checking the tires for any sign of trouble. Also , I advise not towing at night if possible , as any issue on the highway is compounded at night.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Along with " ALL THE ABOVE" on your walk arounds put a hand on the wheel hubs. An early warining to any trouble with your wheel bearings. Warm is OK. Hot means trouble may be brewing.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Wow, thanks so much.... we are very excited.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
The list that Overlander64 dropped on me here, would make me think that there is a high likelyhood that my trailer is going to get damaged on this trip. Guess if i leave the house with that in mind it wont upset me too much when it happens. Do you all find that something breaks on the trailer regularly when on long trips?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
First ever long haul

Greetings Uzzah!

I didn't mean my list to be alarmist, rather a tool to make for more enjoyable. travel. It is rare that I have to remove more than one or two spare parts from my supply bin, but it is so very nice to have those things available without having to search for them in an unfamiliar town or while on the road. The greater likelihood is that I end up sharing some of my spare parts with fellow caravannners who have parts failures.

Good luck with your adventure!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Along with " ALL THE ABOVE" on your walk arounds put a hand on the wheel hubs. An early warining to any trouble with your wheel bearings. Warm is OK. Hot means trouble may be brewing.
I actually carry an infrared thermometer for this. We bought it for other reasons but I've ended up using it for all manner of things, such as a quick check on the temperature of a frying pan or pizza stone, and this new Airstream habit I've developed. I check the tire and hub temp before we set out and then again at every stop.

A these temperatures, "warm" would probably have to be less than ambient air temp, so a "hard number" is good for me. Besides, I'm a geek, I love toys like that. It was about $40 from Amazon and fits in the door pocket of the truck when we're traveling.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Things will break when you travel because that's when you use it. Being prepared for reasonable (and maybe some unreasonable) repairs make life easier.

A recent thread went over this: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ler-77664.html

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I actually carry an infrared thermometer for this.
Agree. This on one of the most valuable items one can have.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Infared device is all well and good. I still like to touch the hubs. My hand has no battery to go bad. I guess I'm old fashioned. Had our trailer out for quite a few thousands of miles. No breakage to mention but a few hinges to come loose and need to be tightened. A few small water line fittings to snug up that sort of things seem to always haunt us on the road, so just be prepared. I still have to keep an eye on the refrigerator door. I have to carefully make sure the door is latched tight or it tends to pop open on the road. But we all know that when you're prepared for things they tend not to happen. So for that reason alone it is comforting to think ahead.

Enjoy your travels. See ya on the road.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
all of the above are good suggestions.

from personal experience - bring along a spiral notebook and a few pens/pencils.

as you discover that you forgot something, would have liked something, or brought along something you didn't need - make a note.

written notes are better than trusting to your memory after you get home.

- i know some folks will do this on their computer, or netbook, or smart phone, etc. But then you have to remember cords, batteries, chargers, etc.

relax and have a fun trip
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Well my Father stopped by my house today to do a pre-flight check (hes a mechanic and couldn't possibly let me leave the area without him actually putting his eyes on my truck and trailer). Boy am i glad he did, would seem that the tranfer case on my '95 suburban was loose from the tansmission. I spent so much time getting tires and refer and other big items for the trailer, that i didn't give the ol' famly car a good once over. I did get he oil changed b4 we head out, but seems that was not enough love for the 'burb.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

UZZAH,

Remember your not traveling the Sahara, it's the USA after all, theres always Wally World.
After you have a few miles under your belt the necessary items will find their way into your Stream'n kit. DW has her's and I mine.

Just don't forget the WD40, duct tape, zip-ties and a flashlight.

Have a GREAT trip!!!!!

Bob
Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I'm at work and having a hard time concentrating on it... as u probably figured out, im on the forum instead of working. The first big trip in our new to us AS seems to be a life changing event. There is life before, and there is life after. The kids have not stopped talking about the trip all week, and you know how that goes... if the kids are super excited, it's hard not to also be super excited.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The only thing I'd add to the above is to not be too concerned about daily distances. Just noting them. Until one is comfortable not simply with equipment (the rig) there are also the people involved. For example: one need always stop after four hours to spend time away from the vehicle. Out and about. If this involves fuel and meal so much the better.

But pax will need restroom break 30-60 minutes after meal & beverages once back on the road. Trip-Planning involves the calculation of time & distance. Each trip leg is of a particular distance. Travel speed is only a guideline as to the hows and whens of stops. Roughly 100-miles (or two hours) suffice for general purposes.

Knowing ahead of time the Interstate Exit # (or other markers) for, say, rest areas (with a trailer: sufficiently safe parking for trailer use) means one can keep an eye on how the day is progressing.

Surprises are always in store until the group learns to travel together. As in the above, keep handwritten notes: time, speed, stopping points.

Travel with a trailer proceeds at a different pace. Analysis involves travel speed which is different than vehicle speed. If we travel 326-miles in nine hours, our travel speed is 36-mph (not surprising for vacations with children, IMO). Over more than one trip one can use these numbers to fit in sight-seeing and still make reserved campgrounds without undue stress. (Commercial drivers use 50-mph . . make that the fastest you'd want to travel. [This is looked at over numerous trips by the way]).

Past the sixth travel hour, everyone, professional and neophyte (commercial and private) undergoes some skill deterioration. Having an itinerary built from experience allays some of the stresses.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote