Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
House of the Sun

2008 23' International
Cave Creek , Arizona
First big trip!

Hello everyone! We have been using this forum to help us search all of our "newbie" questions. We bought our girl as part of a master wedding adventure plan. This idea was born in December when we decided to think outside the box and plan a wedding that was true to our values. It's been an interesting few months considering we both had never towed or even had stayed in a travel trailer! We embark on this journey next Saturday and are so excited! We are taking about 3weeks to visit some national parks and will be married in Yellowstone!

So for my questions?
1. can I stow my stainless steel cookware in the oven without causing any damage?
2. Can I stow things in the sink when we are in transit?
3. What kind of dry goods/ pantry staples do u bring with?

You can follow us on our journey !!!!
Thanks
www.shaina-n-Jason.com

Shaina & Jason
Live. Love. Laugh. Play. Our credo, everyday.
www.shaina-n-jason.com
Haleakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy and congrats!

Anywhere you store, put a proper coverage layer of the non-skid grippy weave stuff. It will minimize or eliminate "buff marks" and minimize sliding around when you corner.

This goes for storing in oven. If pots slide against any part the vibration will tend to leave a mark.

In sink we put our small dish drain. Place items in it,,, works fine. Same in bathroom. Place items in sink so leaks are contained. The plastic stuff should travel well. You can lay a facecloth or hand towel in sink first.

Secure other items in plastic boxes, more non- skid on floor and place there to keep as much of your load close to the floor, reasonably. Don't empty cabinets

Traveling...
Folding money, doctor info, emergency contact info, prescriptions, generic pain killers, sunscreen (small travel sizes), caladryl, Benadryl, EPI pen, bandages small and self adhesion wraps (no glue), keep things sorted in small boxes, SPARE KEYS, camera, tire change tools AND skill. Water and waste hoses..electric protection, WetWipes for cleanup after trailer connect and disco, gloves for dump hose and others for handling hitch and repair, coveralls, blue tarp(ground cover and catch parts like lug nuts that like to roll away, and few things on AS are that color can also use to create shade or wind break, tools, flashlights/batteries,

Camp
Wine, corkscrew, Matches/fire starters for BBQ or annoying campfires, folding chairs, TV tray(for holdin wine off ground outside), plastic weave mat for ground, kritters spray, insecticide (put around places where AS will allow ground crawling kritters access to your home, garbage bags (useful for laying on ground to protect when you have to crawl around..also for garbage, Flamingoes!, camp lights, grounded extension cord(s ), harmonica(see annoying campfires), ;p

Snak items(small sizes).. Beef jerky, kippered salmon, pnut butter, crackers, etc...

See-gars (see annoying campfires), fire extinguisher(s)...

Dozens more....any thoughts from your rumblings?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Traveling...
Folding money, doctor info, emergency contact info, prescriptions, generic pain killers, sunscreen (small travel sizes), caladryl, Benadryl, EPI pen, bandages small and self adhesion wraps (no glue), keep things sorted in small boxes, SPARE KEYS, camera, tire change tools AND skill. Water and waste hoses..electric protection, WetWipes for cleanup after trailer connect and disco, gloves for dump hose and others for handling hitch and repair, coveralls, blue tarp(ground cover and catch parts like lug nuts that like to roll away, and few things on AS are that color can also use to create shade or wind break, tools, flashlights/batteries,
One of those reflective vests that you see highway construction workers wear, for the same reason they wear one. Being run over while you change a tire would ruin your day!

Roadside Assistance card for whatever company you have. (Don't have? Get!) Credit card.

Quote:
Camp
Wine, corkscrew, Matches/fire starters for BBQ or annoying campfires, folding chairs, TV tray(for holdin wine off ground outside), plastic weave mat for ground, kritters spray, insecticide (put around places where AS will allow ground crawling kritters access to your home, garbage bags (useful for laying on ground to protect when you have to crawl around..also for garbage, Flamingoes!, camp lights, grounded extension cord(s ), harmonica(see annoying campfires)
Put insecticide around the feet of any picnic table you use, too.

Portable generator, if you're going to camp anyplace that doesn't have electric connections. As newbies, you may not have a good handle on how long your batteries will last while boondocking, and dead house batteries can make for an unpleasant experience. Gas can to refill the generator.

Also make sure your propane tanks are full. Same reason, as newbies you may not have a good idea of how long they'll last, so the more you have, the better. Make sure you only draw from one of them at a time, so the other is a spare.

Laundry soap. Tide Pods are an easy way to carry it, one pod per load. The more often you do laundry, the less clothing you actually need to carry for a three-week excursion. A roll of quarters for coin-op washers and dryers. Even if the campgrounds don't have laundry facilities, truck stops often do, and I've yet to see a town of any size that doesn't.

Rainwear. Umbrella and raincoat at least. You may not always be able to stay inside when inclement weather hits.

Groceries. Decide whether you're going to cook in the trailer, on a barbecue grill, or over a campfire, and plan your menus accordingly. And don't forget, you'll pass grocery stores in your travels, so you don't need to carry three weeks' worth of food when you leave home.

And the most important thing… a "Just Married!" sign to hang from your trailer's awning after you tie the knot!

I'll leave you with a quote on the subject of camping that seems entirely appropriate to your situation…

Quote:
Mom, camping is not a date; it's an endurance test. If you can survive camping with someone, you should marry them on the way home.”
― Yvonne Prinz
Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
House of the Sun

2008 23' International
Cave Creek , Arizona
Thank you!

Hey there folks...thanks to everyone for their replies and advice! It will certainly help us on our way...our grand wedding adventure begins in the morning. Happy trails to all...and to all a safe ride! Cheers...Shaina & Jason

Shaina & Jason
Live. Love. Laugh. Play. Our credo, everyday.
www.shaina-n-jason.com
Haleakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
"Mom, camping is not a date; it's an endurance test. If you can survive camping with someone, you should marry them on the way home.”
― Yvonne Prinz

Protagonist,

I love your quote, it is so true. When Becky and I started dating over 18 years ago, one of our first dates was a camping trip to Sequoia NP at Stony Creek CG (and she brought her own tent ). Being one who liked to get up early when camping, I went down to the creak and caught 4 large trout for breakfast. As I walked past her tent, Becky poked her head out and asked "Are those for breakfast? I know how to clean and cook those fish you know." After a great breakfast of fresh pan-fried trout, bacon, eggs, and hash brown potatoes I knew she was a keeper. it took me a while, but I finally convinced her to marry me (and our wedding day was the happiest day of my life ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	194605  
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote