Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Fire Extinguishers

We all have (or should have) a fire extinguisher aboard, and almost all of them are the dry powder type ABC; but did you know that the dry powder settles, and over time packs down on the bottom? The result of this is that when the trigger is pulled, you get a burst of compressed gas instead of the dry powder.

This is further aggravated by the vehicle's up and down motion while in transit, which further accelerates the compaction.

It is recommended in fire safety literature to periodically reverse the extinguisher (turn it upside down) to "fluff up" the powder.

In fact when it is fluffed up you can actually feel the powder move as the cylinder is shaken.

I hope this is a help to someone.

Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Worth mentioning periodically. If you feel the contents moving with a thunk, it's probably caked. See this thread.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Not mine

I can attest that a fire extinguisher comes in handy and it worked great!

I never even thought to verify integrity of extinguisher prior to incident. Thank god it was good.

FIIIIRE!

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I am sure that's a great idea. Here is a little funny that you all might find interesting and it's on topic.

I have a 1964 boat. In it was one of the original fire extinguishers. It had been kept in the boat all the time. Even though the boat was stored in the garage. It was still exposed to the warm and cold temps of the midwest.

On night while dry docking in the garage with a buddy of mine, we decided (after a few adult beverages) and bet if the unit would still work. I bet yes and my friend bet no. Seemed like a pretty safe bet.

So, we fired it off and sure enough, it still worked!

I won the $1 bet, but then paid $10 to have the unit refilled and certified!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
I am sure that's a great idea. Here is a little funny that you all might find interesting and it's on topic.

I have a 1964 boat. In it was one of the original fire extinguishers. It had been kept in the boat all the time. Even though the boat was stored in the garage. It was still exposed to the warm and cold temps of the midwest.

On night while dry docking in the garage with a buddy of mine, we decided (after a few adult beverages) and bet if the unit would still work. I bet yes and my friend bet no. Seemed like a pretty safe bet.

So, we fired it off and sure enough, it still worked!

I won the $1 bet, but then paid $10 to have the unit refilled and certified!
Eric, if it will make you feel better, it needed to be recharged anyway. So, you got a dollar discount for getting it recharged. All fire extinguishers should be inspected/checked yearly to make sure they will work when you need them. We have a fire extinguisher service company come out and inspect ours every July. They usually will find one or two not up to snuff, and fix it for us. Better than finding out in the middle of a conflagration it doesn't work!

Terry
Old 01-22-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree...

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote