Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, they get angry if YOU don't adjust your speed to make a spot for them, and then have the nerve to give you the middle finger salute.

I thought it was just me.
Interesting. I just took a written test for a bus drivers' licence here in Ontario and of the sixty questions, I only had two wrong. One of them was about merging on the Highway and I ticked the box saying that it was merging traffic that had to adjust its speed. The correct answer, and this was a new one on me, was that both those entering and those already on the highway had to adjust their speed. I'm happy to stand corrected but I had always assumed that my answer was the correct one; you live and learn, eh?

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
On the issue of the correct, or most comfortable, lane, having done most of my driving in the UK where all highway exits are on the left (driving on the left of course), my default in North America is always the right-hand, granny lane. The only exception has been going through big cities where there's so much stuff entering or leaving the highway that I'll move one towards the left. I'll endorse the comment about GPS; those advanced warnings of lane changes are soooo useful.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #23
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
California is one of the few states left with lane control for trailers. You are supposed to be in the far right hand lane unless passing, and you are supposed to be going something like 7 mph faster than the vehicle you are passing. This seems to be widely ignored, and most likely should be while passing through places like Santa Barbara where the average merging speed seems to be about 12 mph. This, coupled with the also widely ignored, 55 mph speed limit for trailers makes towing in the Golden State less than a relaxing experience.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Interesting. I just took a written test for a bus drivers' licence here in Ontario and of the sixty questions, I only had two wrong. One of them was about merging on the Highway and I ticked the box saying that it was merging traffic that had to adjust its speed. The correct answer, and this was a new one on me, was that both those entering and those already on the highway had to adjust their speed. I'm happy to stand corrected but I had always assumed that my answer was the correct one; you live and learn, eh?
Obviously things must be a bit different in Ontario, but this is copy and paste from the Texas Driver's handbook:

Driving on Multiple-Lane Roads
On a road divided into three or more lanes providing for one-way movement, a vehicle entering a lane of traffic from the right must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering the same lane of traffic from the left.

Enter or Leave Controlled-Access Highway
The driver proceeding on a frontage road of a controlled-access highway must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle:
• Entering or about to enter the road from the highway; and
• Leaving or about to leave the road to enter the highway.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
Being retired has its advantages - one being that we aren't in as much of a hurry as we used to be. That's key. With regard to city trying, we try and do the following:

o avoid rush hour in the first place
o avoid lane changes - stay in the right lane or follow the 18 wheelers
o use iPhone GPS to position for the next turn well in advance

There is no perfect lane; it's more about following YOUR general guidelines with safety in mind.
A-a-a-men, A-a-a-men, Amen, Amen!
Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
I trust the Duke was being facetious...cause there is no excuse for a TV pulling a trailer staying in the left lane. Despite these comments just reflecting their owner's own preferences...it all boils down to using common sense and adjusting to current traffic conditions....personal preferences aside. Common sense and caution should rule the day. Merry Christmas, and a SAFE 2015. jon
No, not really. Obviously I don't drive in the left lane all the time. The left lane is for passing only! I hate to run up on someone just driving in the left lane, holding everything up. Here in VA we have signs that say, "slower traffic keep right!" I only drive in the left lane when passing, which I find is a great deal of the time with todays traffic. I have the most powerful truck sold for a reason, I like to go up hills as fast as I go down hills. I believe in having a more than capable TV, I don't like the "tail wagging the dog!" I have 38 years of towing experience in 45 of the lower 48 states, without ever having a accident! I have had some "close ones" due to other peoples ignorance but untill I have my first accident, I will maintain that all accidents are avoidable!
Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
Being retired has its advantages - one being that we aren't in as much of a hurry as we used to be. That's key. With regard to city trying, we try and do the following:

o avoid rush hour in the first place
o avoid lane changes - stay in the right lane or follow the 18 wheelers
o use iPhone GPS to position for the next turn well in advance

There is no perfect lane; it's more about following YOUR general guidelines with safety in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
A-a-a-men, A-a-a-men, Amen, Amen!

Hi, then stay home; Some places have 24/7 rush hour. I go, when I go, and deal with whatever is out there.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Obviously things must be a bit different in Ontario, but this is copy and paste from the Texas Driver's handbook:

Driving on Multiple-Lane Roads
On a road divided into three or more lanes providing for one-way movement, a vehicle entering a lane of traffic from the right must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering the same lane of traffic from the left.

Enter or Leave Controlled-Access Highway
The driver proceeding on a frontage road of a controlled-access highway must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle:
• Entering or about to enter the road from the highway; and
• Leaving or about to leave the road to enter the highway.
I'd imagine that the Ontario idea is that you don't force people to slow down too much as they try to join the faster moving traffic on the highway; slack off or speed up a little to allow a vehicle to join the flow is probably quite reasonable and sensible driving.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Steve, I understand the idea, and do not disagree with it. It's common sense and common courtesy, and we do that here also, when practical.

My original statement was about those entering freeways and interstate highways without making an effort to gain similar speed, and without regard for those already driving at sometimes 70MPH, and expecting them to get out of their way.

Common sense and common courtesy are two way streets.

It's much easier and more practical for a person driving a 3000lb car to match the speed and flow of existing traffic when merging onto a multilane highway than it is for lets say a 60,000lb 18 wheeler, or even an 18,000 truck and trailer to slow down to the car's 20mph slower speed. The thing is, many times they just don't care what kind of a bind they put other people in, and actually thing they have the right of way.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Headlights on bright in day and adding horns approved for Autobahn.

Failure to yield ROW upon entering is failure to space by 500' ahead of traffic.

IOW, causing traffic present on Interstate to brake or change lanes is the definition of the failure.

Every man for himself in cities.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Every man for himself in cities.
Isn't that the truth!
Old 12-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Have you ever been passed by a dump truck carrying gravel at 70 miles, 60 miles, 40 miles per hour? You see it coming in your driver's side mirror. You look at your speedometer, you look at the traffic situation... you look again and see the dump truck coming... and gaining momentum.

As he passes you just know the gravel on the bumper are going to jump off and catch your windshield or the front of your Airstream. Canvas over the load or not... Do you, what?

Slow Down?
Speed Up and move into the passing lane and get in front of the dump truck?
Do you hold your breath and then.... SEE the sign on the back...

"Stay BACK 500 feet and avoid a Cracked Windshield".

Thank you... for the warning.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Have you ever been passed by a dump truck carrying gravel at 70 miles, 60 miles, 40 miles per hour? You see it coming in your driver's side mirror. You look at your speedometer, you look at the traffic situation... you look again and see the dump truck coming... and gaining momentum.

As he passes you just know the gravel on the bumper are going to jump off and catch your windshield or the front of your Airstream. Canvas over the load or not... Do you, what?

Slow Down?

I put the hammer down and keep that sucker in my rear view mirror!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Finding that PERFECT LANE for Traveling...

My opinion is that if a person isn't passing the vehicle to the right in a timely manner, then this person needs to move right.

Saturday I was stuck behind a UPS tractor trailer that took ten miles (no exaggeration) to make his pass and clear the left lane.

People like that, and "left lane loafers", irritate me to no end and make traffic a clusterflop.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Put the blame where it belongs and that is on the guy he was passing. That cretin could easily have slowed down for a short distance and the whole thing would have over with.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Finding that PERFECT LANE for Traveling...

He should have slowed down and let the guy make the pass, I would have, but the guy passing should have hung it up nonetheless.

At the end of the ten hour day, the difference in the two vehicles speeds would have amounted to a few hundred yards at best. By the time he got out of the lane there were thirty to fifty cars backed up behind them, and as usual, a certain percentage of them were arses and intent on cutting line and making things even more frustrating and DANGEROUS.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Put the blame where it belongs and that is on the guy he was passing. That cretin could easily have slowed down for a short distance and the whole thing would have over with.

What? Then you're irritating the people behind you. I learned that you maintain speed when being passed.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yes, I've seen truckers run side by side for what seemed like forever (probably was only a few miles), one trying to pass the other. Sometimes the one trying to pass eventually got back in line behind the one he was trying to pass. Must be like a game to them because I can see no other reason for it.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
It's no game just poor judgement.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Slow Down?

Hi, I have been behind gravel and sand trucks on the freeway while driving a motorcycle. You either have to stop or pass this vehicle. The sand will be floating in the air for quite some time. I pass them.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote