Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Didn't take many pics on this trip (for sort of obvious reasons), but the few I took are now in the blog:

Trip to Chaco and Bosque del Apache, Fall 2008 : Angel Fire Blogs

Lynn
Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
nice images, looks like the trip was fun, what there was of it.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I hear that, if it were 1000 miles closer Id be all over that one. As it is, I will have to content myself with my nascent tradition of Christmas and new years on the beach.
Beach doesn't sound too shabby, either, as long as it's not a frozen, icy beach! In truth, Maria would love it more than I since my preferences lean toward mountains and deserts. (That explains why we've been talking some about spending winters at Cabo San Lucas.)

Lynn
Old 10-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lynn, too bad about the shortened trip. Now that the wire is fixed, why not go somewhere?

Glad you got to Chaco Canyon. It is an amazing place. The roads in vary a lot depending on when it's rained and when there's been some maintenance. The south road was very muddy last time we were there and we picked up a woman who got her car stuck—not a road for two wheel drive. The good thing about the roads is it keeps the place from being over run by tourists (like us).

It's obvious Rodney needs a trip right soon. Every other post mentions the beach.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
One problem with pulling out again is our two non-traveling cats. We had friends here to cat-sit while we were gone, but they already had to leave.

I mentioned to Maria just this morning that maybe we should give it a try with the cats again. Maybe just a night or two nearby at Wild Rivers or so. I've been toying with constructing some kind of screen protectors to keep the one cat (known as "Beast," and for good reason) from tearing up window screens, but otherwise it should be too hard to prepare the rig.

Chaco really is neat! If we'd had more time, I might have asked for permission (and a trail map) to get up on the bluff above Bonito for some better photography. The place was just too big and overwhelming, and I hadn't given even a second of thought to doing anything like photographic justice to the place under the circumstances.

Lynn

Lynn
Old 10-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #26
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Lynn,
It's too bad your trip was cut short. Sorry, that was a play on words. If you need to escape from the winter world this year, we have a few rallies this winter down here in the desert.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lynn,

Do you put the cats in cages and cover them with towels or blankets? You probably know this. Most cats seem to hate traveling, but that can keep them quiet. They love to sleep a lot anyway. I don't really like cats much, but our outdoor cat is hell to catch when he needs to go to the vet and eventually we get him in a cage. Even he quiets down when the towel covers the cage. It's much harder to catch him for a second trip if he has to go back to the vet.

I've wanted to hike around Chaco, but we only get to stay several hours because it takes a long time to get there and back. I've forgotten whether there's an RV camping area there. The washboard road to the north is memorable, but I suppose if you go slowly enough, the trailer may stay in one piece.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yeah, i know about the cover-the-cage trick. The first (and only) time we traveled with them was to bring them up here, and we had to deal with a lot of puke. A whole lot.

There's a campground at Chaco, but you'd need to have a pretty small rig to fit in. Way too small for our 30 foot. Plus I really don't think our vintage would survive the road in one piece, literally.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
It is tough when you have a pet(s) at home who are not good at travel and you want to get out and about without huge feelings of guilt. We have an old cat who would probably give Gene's cat a run for its money when it comes to knowing a trip to the vet is imminent. Little stinkers read our faces I'm sure.

Anyway, loved the pictures. My dream vacations are to places like this. My wife would love to do some of this but at some point it is "bring on the beaches and the sun tan lotion".

Rodney, just think, it is only about 2 months till you can feel the sand beneath your feet and lounge lazily about. Of course, as my buddy would then say, it is 3 months to back to tile floor, neon overheads, schedules - but he's a pessimist.

Barry