Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
Finally...maiden voyage

Well...its been six long months since we bought our VERY lightly used 2018 30’ Classic. We sold our 45’ Allegro bus in October and found the AS in November. Drove 1600 miles to pick it up, tow it home. Clean, test and begin the process of making it feel like ours.

We loved our bus and had wonderful experiences, but we found as many places that we couldn’t fit into as we did places where the bus was perfect. One of our best experiences was two weeks at Mountain Falls in North Carolina. A class A motorcoach resort. A very nice welcoming community with wonderful mountain views, definitely a buck list trip.

But we wanted a smaller foot print to enjoy state parks and boondocking. Airstream has alway been a soft spot for me, especially a vintage Airstream. However, to keep life simple (and our relationship happy) we agreed on a newer AS with the Alde heat, very similar to our Aqua Hot.

Since our purchase in November I have had wayyyy too much time to over think storage. Downsizing from a bus comes with trade offs, but it was good to completely empty the bus, wavy good bye and start over. I have been able to repurpose many things like towels, rugs, cookware, storage baskets, etc. And then there has been many new “storage hacks” to create space. New smaller Keurig, a real tea kettle for pour over coffee, new bedding and tons of storage containers. Baskets, Airstik, command hooks, suction cup towel bars, stacking shelves with baskets...on and on.

This doesn’t even begin to address all the additional purchases like a truck cap for our F-250, a bigger generator, Propride hitch, the Progressive hardwired EMS system (best investment you can make) along with power cords, G-water hoses, etc, etc, etc.

With the help of this wonderful forum I learned about the FireFly firmware update which we did before ever using it. That was an easy update for us to do since we were just out of warranty when we purchased in November.

So...first time out...so far...everything has worked to our expectations. Somethings are more difficult to adapt to, like the small bathroom but we can adapt. We also chose the twin beds in the AS, coming from a king sized sleep number bed on our bus...well...this too requires some getting used to. Again, we will adapt. So far no regrets and we certainly do NOT miss the expenses of owning and maintenancing a bus. We have cut our RVing budget by 65% down sizing and settling for a trailer instead of an A class diesel RV.

I will try to attach some pictures of our storage hacks so others might try them out. It has been trial and error...I have move some items around a dozen times...and still keep having new ideas.

Tanner the tin tube
Robertson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Wishing you the best in your "downsizing" project.

And yes, pictures are required!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Congratulations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her. You will eventually get "snug as a bug in a rug" and adapt to smaller space living.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
The rig...

2017 F-250 diesel...we bought the truck to tow behind our bus...it was our toad. Now it is the tow-er.

2018 30’ Classic...used once and placed in storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3EAFFD49-B357-4BFD-A0CE-4871A8E8D345.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	368845  

Tanner the tin tube
Old 05-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertson2 View Post
We sold our 45’ Allegro bus in October and found the AS in November. I have been able to repurpose many things like towels, rugs, cookware, storage baskets, etc. And then there has been many new “storage hacks” to create space. New smaller Keurig, a real tea kettle for pour over coffee, new bedding and tons of storage containers. Baskets, Airstik, command hooks, suction cup towel bars, stacking shelves with baskets...on and on.
This doesn’t even begin to address all the additional purchases like a truck cap for our F-250, a bigger generator, Propride hitch, the Progressive hardwired EMS system (best investment you can make) along with power cords, G-water hoses, etc, etc, etc.
Been there, done that, don't miss the $500 oil changes! I do miss the storage and ice maker, but I'll never go back. The Airstream does everything I need.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
Best inside storage hack...

When comparing the 33’ Classic to the 30’ Classic I kept coming back to that nice 3’ space behind the dinette in front of the sofa. I saw this as prime space that could increase my storage. After much pondering I came up with two stacking shelves that gave way for six storage cubes...VIOLA...I have a wet bar with an ice maker.

The first box has the bar glassware wrapped in tube socks to prevent breaking glass. Next box has a selection of liquor, my favorite, Kentucky bourbon. Next top box is filled with gallon jugs of water for the ice machine. First bottom box is open for shoes, better then leaving them at the door. Next box is bar mixers, soda, juice, warm drinks to back fill the cooler. Last box houses the flashlights and battery charger. All in one nice “Happy hour station”. The sofa recliner can fully extend with no problem. The extra counter space is great to set your drinks and snack on for entertaining. Total cost under $100 all bought on Amazon.

When getting ready to travel everything lays on the floor secured for travel. Set up time under 5 minutes...first batch of ice can be made in under 9 minutes.

Cocktails any one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	856DEC97-2C37-4105-8F14-C66A42A94688.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	368846   Click image for larger version

Name:	2BA88500-D1F6-4CF7-8EBC-A162A16E267C.jpg
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	368847  

Tanner the tin tube
Old 05-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Yeah, I’ve seen that storage solution. We are going to do the same eventually, mainly to give us extra space to place things instead of on our dinette. Love the bar idea!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
I love to cook so countertop space is premium. I found a fabric bin with wire structure that will hold two cases of bottled water. We keep that under the dinette for easy access to water while eating. I wedged a small trash can next to it for recycling the bottles.

We have a Yeti cooler next to the sofa for cold drinks that doubles as a foot rest or snack table. We try and keep all beverages in the cooler to free up space in the fridge.

On the dinette is a small organizer I found at Target. Everything has a place and a place for everything. I use this small organizer in the bedroom at the head of the bed. Holds an iPad perfectly, charging cords, eyeglasses, TV remote, etc.

One of my other fun things I found was the K cup holder stuck to the wall with command strips, I found it on Amazon. Remarkably , all the coffee pods stayed in place while towing.

Best thing, best money spent is the Progressive EMS protector and the display it at eye level while I cook. I try to keep an eye on power usage at all times. It is really important to know how much power we have, what leg it’s on and never go over a total of 25 AMP on one leg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8C1AE7E8-3995-4D28-A61A-21D690767CE6.jpg
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	368874   Click image for larger version

Name:	8502D889-9A6C-4052-8659-3D80D6BC8948.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	368875  

Tanner the tin tube
Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertson2 View Post
When comparing the 33’ Classic to the 30’ Classic I kept coming back to that nice 3’ space behind the dinette in front of the sofa. I saw this as prime space that could increase my storage. After much pondering I came up with two stacking shelves that gave way for six storage cubes...VIOLA...I have a wet bar with an ice maker.

The first box has the bar glassware wrapped in tube socks to prevent breaking glass. Next box has a selection of liquor, my favorite, Kentucky bourbon. Next top box is filled with gallon jugs of water for the ice machine. First bottom box is open for shoes, better then leaving them at the door. Next box is bar mixers, soda, juice, warm drinks to back fill the cooler. Last box houses the flashlights and battery charger. All in one nice “Happy hour station”. The sofa recliner can fully extend with no problem. The extra counter space is great to set your drinks and snack on for entertaining. Total cost under $100 all bought on Amazon.

When getting ready to travel everything lays on the floor secured for travel. Set up time under 5 minutes...first batch of ice can be made in under 9 minutes.

Cocktails any one?
That looks GREAT...but unfair. What is that favorite KB?

Bob
🇺🇸

My suggestion for a sipping Christening... 👍
"The angel’s share is the portion of alcohol which will evaporate from the Port cask during aging."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0F2064D4-32C2-4C7B-96FD-1B8AB0A97904_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	368879  
Old 05-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
I have a bottle of Angel’s Envy in my collection. So far my favorite sipping bourbon is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

If am sipping over spherical ice, I enjoy Bulleit.

Two years ago we did the bourbon tour in Kentucky, had a wonderful time. Only bad thing is I have increased my intake and preferences.

Tanner the tin tube
Old 05-30-2020, 05:59 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Not a B, but try this for sip'n, almost 100% you won't regret it.
No Coke needed.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6EB5D17C-9AA2-4BAF-85A3-C6D899D5C8F6_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	368927