Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2023, 03:13 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Front hitch with Thule T2 classic

The bumper on my '61 Spaceliner is flimsy and barely holds my 65LB spare. I put a receiver hitch on the front of my Suburban. My Thule T2 classic is rated at 100lbs. Our 2 eBikes togther are about 103LBS. I can lose 16 lbs by taking the batteries out, but that exposes some internal electrical stuff to the elements in bad weather so I made protective bras out of reflectix.

I posted on a big eBike FB group and got a ton of feedback that being 3lbs over the rated limit is totally fine, but there are some freeways that really get the bikes bounceing so I still like to have the batteries out unless the weather is really wet.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:40 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Don’t

How could you do that to your beautiful bicycle?
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 07:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
I’m the one that built the Fiamma look-alike in post #16. The revision in the picture is still the one we are traveling with. Has about 30000 miles on it with some of that being pretty rough roads. It’s held up just fine with our 2 platinum interceptor bikes. I do remove the batteries for travel but that’s more out of caution over them getting stolen.

If I built it again, I would make some minor changes but the design is solid. Material costs would be about half the cost of the actual Fiamma but it is considerably beefier and more stable. The have been no issues towing despite the very first comment being that I would cause a rollover of my Airstream.

The biggest issue I had was wrestling the anaconda in and out of the rear storage. A large cord bag from airstream life fixed that issue.

The Fiamma weakness was the upper connection arms to the airstream. The one I used have been rock solid.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2023 22' Caravel
Herndon , Virginia
Caravel with Fiamma bike Rack

We have Caravel with Fiamma Bike Rack installed by dealer by previous owner.

I have a Trek Gravel bike that weighs 23 LBs

My wife has a Trek eBike Verve 2, which , without battery, weighs 45 Lbs.

more than the 39 lb rating.

I have a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 bike rack that I love, love.

Hmm, so worried about using the Fiamma bike rack with the Verve and the Checkpoint, with total weight of 68 lbs.

any suggestions?
gokayaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:03 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeltz View Post
I now use a folding Brompton bike. No rack needed.
We have Brompton's also, I know they are $$$ but they are perfect for Airstream travel.
theengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Fiamma and ebikes

The Fiamma bike racks have worked fine for us, with mountain bikes on our 4 different AS's over the last 18 years. We switched to Ebikes last year on our 28'FC using our 5 year old Fiamma rack, and I got a new wider track from Fiama; I can put only one of my RAD Expand 5 bikes (55lbs~ without battery/seat) on the Fiamma currently and I carry the other folded RAD Expand5 inside, between the twin beds. I have never had an issue with my Fiamma rack breaking. Fiamma work great with the AS's; NO SWAY!

Now, Fiamma has come out with an Ebike model that will support 165lbs, which you can get from the Airstream Supply Store. They are also coming out with "retro upgrade" kit for existing Fiamma racks sometime this month, I believe. I talked with them in early November and they told me to check back late December....AS is supposed to carry these "Upgrade kits" which will use SS parts I am told, when they are out.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
For those interested in the Fiamma "upgrade" for e-bikes, status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
The Fiamma bike racks have worked fine for us, with mountain bikes on our 4 different AS's over the last 18 years. We switched to Ebikes last year on our 28'FC using our 5 year old Fiamma rack, and I got a new wider track from Fiama; I can put only one of my RAD Expand 5 bikes (55lbs~ without battery/seat) on the Fiamma currently and I carry the other folded RAD Expand5 inside, between the twin beds. I have never had an issue with my Fiamma rack breaking. Fiamma work great with the AS's; NO SWAY!

Now, Fiamma has come out with an Ebike model that will support 165lbs, which you can get from the Airstream Supply Store. They are also coming out with "retro upgrade" kit for existing Fiamma racks sometime this month, I believe. I talked with them in early November and they told me to check back late December....AS is supposed to carry these "Upgrade kits" which will use SS parts I am told, when they are out.
I just called both Airstream Store and Fiamma about the status of the "up-grade" kit. Airstream Store still was not aware of this kit. When I called Fiamma, I was told it is expected sometime this month (January) from Italy, but will be offered only by AS.

I was told by Fiamma in July at the International Rally in WY, that this upgrade kit will allow retrofitto existing Fiamma racks with stainless steel parts to equivalent of a "new": Airstream Carry-Bikes by Fiamma Up to 165 lbs. Italy is supplying this, but seems they are a bit behind the original schedule of November! I was told by Fiamma rep today, it is scheduled for January and he will discuss status with their VP visiting Florida from Italy next week and send me an email.

If anyone else interested in this E-bike "upgrade kit" said to hold 165lbs, you can email Fiamma also:

service@fiammausa.com; parts@fiammausa.com

Folks I talked with again today: Malik, in service dept. Otavio, in parts dept.

Not sure who at the AS Store knows about this...I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone who is aware of this kit so far.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-12-2024, 07:46 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
I ordered the upgraded Fiamma rack from Airstreamsupply.com with the intentions of installing it myself on our '23 FC23fbt. The instructions and video look very simple. BUT, I can be a bit lazy at times, so reached out to my AS dealership - Mark Wahlberg RV in Columbus, Ohio to get a quote. I figured a couple hundred bucks to install - maybe, especially since the Airstream shows it being done in well under an hour.

NOPE!

Here is their exact response - "labor only plus shop supply 510.00 plus tax"

Looks like I'm installing my own.
NutmegsCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:40 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
I ordered the upgraded Fiamma rack from Airstreamsupply.com with the intentions of installing it myself on our '23 FC23fbt. The instructions and video look very simple. BUT, I can be a bit lazy at times, so reached out to my AS dealership - Mark Wahlberg RV in Columbus, Ohio to get a quote. I figured a couple hundred bucks to install - maybe, especially since the Airstream shows it being done in well under an hour.

NOPE!

Yea...crazy supprize on the install and also price of new Fiamma! I remember; on my last 2 "new" (2014 25' & 2017 28') I was able to negotiate both Fiamma and installation into the price; also the Blue Ox as well! But, AS's were a "little" cheaper in price back then...not sure I could still get that concession today? Then again, perhaps....

By the way, are you getting the new 165# Fiamma rack?
Old 02-12-2024, 11:07 AM   #30
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post

NOPE!

I don't know what the labor rate is at your dealership, but I had my trailer in at the Phoenix Dealer and it was $209 per hour and $40 for shop supplies. You can go through $500 very quickly. That was for a water leak which cost me around $500 including the $10.96 part.

I did install my rack myself and it was pretty straight forward and there was a very good video online showing the install. I did have to remove the lid to the bumper storage area and trim it down so it did not hit the rack. Took me a couple of hours to do the job.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:15 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I don't know what the labor rate is at your dealership, but I had my trailer in at the Phoenix Dealer and it was $209 per hour and $40 for shop supplies. You can go through $500 very quickly. That was for a water leak which cost me around $500 including the $10.96 part.

I did install my rack myself and it was pretty straight forward and there was a very good video online showing the install. I did have to remove the lid to the bumper storage area and trim it down so it did not hit the rack. Took me a couple of hours to do the job.
Yeah, I figure it'll take them under an hour to do the install. Me, probably about an hour or so. So I was thinking a couple hundred bucks for the job. It looks like they're charging 2.5 hours for this, and I'm trying to figure out what shop supplies are needed. Maybe they purchase new tools for every trailer they touch.

I, too, have watched the airstream video of their tech doing the installation, and I agree, it is very straight-forward. Their video is about 20 minutes, and the guy is going slow and talking through, but takes a few "cut outs" while he tightens stuff up, which I figure is about 15 minutes total of cut out video.

One thing Airstream does do, besides build a quality camper, is provides quality DIY videos.

https://youtu.be/uQXo-AS1xcM?feature=shared
NutmegsCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:41 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Idaho
We are still trying to figure it out. Went through an initial attempt at adding trailer hitch on back of FC 26 RB. It failed (weld broke). Had class 3 hitch installed by dealer with weld and bolting. Seems to be holding but I am still wary. Bought a Hollywood ebike rack specifically rated for RV use. Have only used it once but I am still a bit concerned.
Then comes the ebike itself (Rads), they obviously don't like water and though we live in a high desert climate, there is always water so have been searching for covers that don't obstruct tail lights. So far, no confirmed luck...
Woud welcome input from other ebikers!
CarneyIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hi CarneyIdaho, we have regular bikes but when we were planning a 3 mo Eugene> Tx >Key West> Myrtle Beach trip (Jan~Mar), I figures I'd need some cover for the bikes (ProBike Tool was great to work with !!
https://probiketool.com/products/bik...storage-travel

It was immediately apparent I needed to do something about the tail light, brake/turn. Looking at the dealer lot I settled on a pair of from 2018 Basecamp (Don't hold me to it). The dealer extended the wiring up and mounted them up high so the cover became non issue. They appear small but put out a lot of light for the 3. A great add.

Jisy a FYI re the cover, due to the way fiamma mount with the bracket at each end, I called REI/Eugene for a local canvas shop and they put a sipper vertically in the trailer side center and slightly enlarged the trailer side opening so they would wrap around the brackets and tighten up nicely with the sipper and some bungees to keep the flapping at bay.

I'm pretty good a saving receipts so if you need it, I can probably locate the W/O for the lights to narrow things down bit.

Happy Trails

p.s. I thought about LED bar light to hang on the bumper, but in the end I liked the permanence of the upper location, plus maybe they could be seen better from the rear, for the second car back??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	442410  
Old 04-02-2024, 03:52 PM   #34
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneyIdaho View Post
We are still trying to figure it out. Went through an initial attempt at adding trailer hitch on back of FC 26 RB. It failed (weld broke). Had class 3 hitch installed by dealer with weld and bolting. Seems to be holding but I am still wary. Bought a Hollywood ebike rack specifically rated for RV use. Have only used it once but I am still a bit concerned.
Then comes the ebike itself (Rads), they obviously don't like water and though we live in a high desert climate, there is always water so have been searching for covers that don't obstruct tail lights. So far, no confirmed luck...
Hollywood Racks have an E Bike rack designed for RVs (RV Rider E-Bike Rack), is that the one you purchased? If so, the instructions for it explicitly advise against using it on a travel trailer. The rack manufacturers understand how much stuff moves around (side to side and up and down) on a travel trailer when in motion, and there are very few hitch racks that are designed to take those loads.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 04:00 PM   #35
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Hollywood Racks have an E Bike rack designed for RVs (RV Rider E-Bike Rack), if that is the one you purchased. If so, the instructions for it explicitly advise against using it on a travel trailer. The rack manufacturers understand how much stuff moves around (side to side and up and down) on a travel trailer when in motion, and there are very few hitch racks that are designed to take those loads. We like Thule bike racks (and have several) but only the Thule Range is designed for the back of a travel trailer, and it doesn't use wheel trays, the bikes hang. Yakima have a few that are designed for RVs, and they include travel trailers in their definition of RVs.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:33 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Idaho
Did you get your response to welding a class 3 hitch? We had one put on by local AS dealer, it failed but not disastrously. They then rewarded and bolted it to our 26 footer. Seems to hold fine but I remain nervous about it..
CarneyIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:18 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Hi CarneyIdaho, we have regular bikes but when we were planning a 3 mo Eugene> Tx >Key West> Myrtle Beach trip (Jan~Mar), I figures I'd need some cover for the bikes (ProBike Tool was great to work with !!
https://probiketool.com/products/bik...storage-travel

It was immediately apparent I needed to do something about the tail light, brake/turn. Looking at the dealer lot I settled on a pair of from 2018 Basecamp (Don't hold me to it). The dealer extended the wiring up and mounted them up high so the cover became non issue. They appear small but put out a lot of light for the 3. A great add.

Jisy a FYI re the cover, due to the way fiamma mount with the bracket at each end, I called REI/Eugene for a local canvas shop and they put a sipper vertically in the trailer side center and slightly enlarged the trailer side opening so they would wrap around the brackets and tighten up nicely with the sipper and some bungees to keep the flapping at bay.

I'm pretty good a saving receipts so if you need it, I can probably locate the W/O for the lights to narrow things down bit.

Happy Trails

p.s. I thought about LED bar light to hang on the bumper, but in the end I liked the permanence of the upper location, plus maybe they could be seen better from the rear, for the second car back??
Nice job! You are using a Fiamma rack also! We have the RAD Expand 5's and I just ordered the Fiamma 165lb upgrade kit for our Fiamma. Currently, I carry one bike folded inside between the twins beds, and the other outside on the Fiamma, with a new Fat Tire rack from Fiamma. Looking forward to getting the upgrade with stainless steel replacement parts so I can put both bikes out back. Like your cover and relocation of lights. Not sure what i will do there yet. There are a few covers which are stretchy and fasten around frame area, which is fine. As we have been carrying TREK mountain bikes without cover over the past 3 Airstreams, I am used to cleaning our bikes up when we want to use them. Not a big job, but I understand the concern for keeping the e-bikes covered as much as possible. Below is a picture of the upgrade to stainless part replacement in the kit, I posted earlier on the Forum.

As for the "add on" receiver/hitch type racks mounted under the bumper to the AS frame mentioned above, broken welds are another reason I to be concerned, likely caused from movement of the weight (bikes) and/or poor welds. Fiamma are pretty darn solid mount to the AS...plus, they are the only one AS recommends still.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fiamma upgrade kit.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	442447  
Old 04-03-2024, 11:54 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2023 22' Caravel
Herndon , Virginia
Update on fiamma rack

Good morning Todd,

Yes, we are working on getting the updated part numbers and pricing for the pieces needed to retrofit the standard carry-bike models to handle the additional weight. The upper arm brackets will be replaced, and then the lower half of the frame have been redesigned in steel instead of aluminum, which gives the system the increased weight capacity, but I do not have the parts by themselves here in the USA just yet. Our team in Italy was focusing on getting the full systems shipped to Airstream first, and then we will on setting up a retrofit kit for those that want to update their current systems. I would suggest checking back in with us in about a month and hopefully by then I can have part numbers, pricing, and an ETA on when we expect to have them here in the USA.

Thank you for your business.

Sincerely,
Octavio Valentin
Customer Service 407-672-0091
Monday – Friday 8am – 4:00pm
Eastern time
service@fiammausa.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image001.png
Views:	3
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	442461  
Old 04-04-2024, 12:02 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2023 22' Caravel
Herndon , Virginia
Todd,

We just got an update on the parts needed to retrofit the Airstream Carry bike to support up to 165 pounds.

Here is a diagram of the updated rack, and you would need to order 2 each of A, B, and C. D is the same center connecting tube from your current rack and can be reused, but we are also bringing more of those in, just in case customers need them as well.

image003.png

A – part# 98656A780 – Upper Bracket - $61.00 each
B – part# 98656M615 – Upper Aluminum Frame - $34.00 each
C – part# 98656M616 – Lower Steel Frame - $104.00 each
D – part# 9865M613 – Center Connecting Frame - $40.00 each

Parts expected to arrive to us on Container #3A (ETA: 4/22/2024)

You may place a backorder now with your credit card info and once we receive these parts, we will process your order and have them shipped to you on the next day. FedEx Ground = $35.00

To place your backorder please let us know your credit card info by email or over the phone at 407-672-0091 Monday thru Friday from 8am to 4pm ET.
Please have the following info ready:
Credit Card payment info needed:
? Name on the card
? Card number
? Expiration date
? CVV code
? Billing address
? Shipping address
? Phone number

Please contact me if you require further details or more information.

Thank you for your business.

Sincerely,
Octavio Valentin
Customer Service 407-672-0091
Monday – Friday 8am – 4:00pm
Eastern time
service@fiammausa.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image003.png
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	442463  
Old 04-04-2024, 09:25 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

Don't mean to hijack but CarneyIdaho requested tail light details.

However since I'm here, I hope the two top brackets are not OEM, but the SS parts that actually have some beef. I got mine from Sean at ProPride.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	442468   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail light.jpg
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	442469  

Name:	Fiamma New Bracket (4).jpg