Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post
Wow you get around. Been going to Wholeys since I was a kid. There fish is great and there fried smelt is even better!

Ace (Planning a trip to the Strip Dist tomorrow) in PA
My dad was from Clarion. We spent a lot of vacation time in northwestern Penna. Family has thinned out in that area and I haven't been through in about 10 years. Still might happen that I'll be back...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #22

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63

Our local Jersey Mikes is not someplace I would send my worst enemy. Others elsewhere may be good, but this one, not so much.
We do have a Jimmy Johns nearby, and a Penn Station. The latter is great for boosting one's sodium level...
Both are good as is the local Jersey Mike's but I gotta a soft spot for a fried oyster po-boy (dressed of course) with a side of turtle soup from Hymel's in Convent, LA.

They have Take-Out but it ain't fast food... Its just good eats.
http://hymels.com/

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Chic fil A

We dont have one within 500 miles..but I love it!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
The White House Sub Shop Atlantic City NJ.

or

Super Burger Santa Rosa / Petaluma CA

Chains: White Castle, Hands down "Buy 'em by the Case"

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Show us pics of the rig going through the drive-thru and make us believers about fast food while underway.

I can see going by a locally-owne delicatessen the day before the trip to stock the 'fridge, but I have the idea that you all are planning your fuel stops around 24-hour convenience stores married to fast food franchises.

A bit more time in searching for state maps of "picnic areas" (and sat photos for those of us with extra-long rigs re ingress/egress) gives "fast food" with a great sandwich all the cachet it will ever need. Even when I am the one who makes the meal.

I shouldn't need to go into how dirty are those places mentioned above. The McDonalds at one of those near me (highly busy) only closes once every six months for a thorough cleaning. Maybe it's partly where I live, but vacation also means relief from rubbing shoulders with Menckens "great unwashed". Hand sanitizer just don't get it (and I ain't at all a clean freak, what-have-you). Let's not even start with GMO food products. Or reprehensible corporate politics + governmental favoritism. Less-than-a-living wage. And so forth.

Locally-owned or nothing. And figuring out where to park the rig to run n and pick up the order called in advance (as part of trip planning) for that picnic just down the road.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Show us pics of the rig going through the drive-thru and make us believers about fast food while underway.

I can see going by a locally-owne delicatessen the day before the trip to stock the 'fridge, but I have the idea that you all are planning your fuel stops around 24-hour convenience stores married to fast food franchises.

A bit more time in searching for state maps of "picnic areas" (and sat photos for those of us with extra-long rigs re ingress/egress) gives "fast food" with a great sandwich all the cachet it will ever need. Even when I am the one who makes the meal.

I shouldn't need to go into how dirty are those places mentioned above. The McDonalds at one of those near me (highly busy) only closes once every six months for a thorough cleaning. Maybe it's partly where I live, but vacation also means relief from rubbing shoulders with Menckens "great unwashed". Hand sanitizer just don't get it (and I ain't at all a clean freak, what-have-you). Let's not even start with GMO food products. Or reprehensible corporate politics + governmental favoritism. Less-than-a-living wage. And so forth.

Locally-owned or nothing. And figuring out where to park the rig to run n and pick up the order called in advance (as part of trip planning) for that picnic just down the road.

So, given that What-A-Burger started in CC do you give them a "locally-owned" exemption? IJS
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Oh, you people with your chain-store food. Blech! Go to a place that specializes in homemade burgers and order yourselves a decent green chili cheeseburger! You'll not regret it!

Lynn

I so totally agree with you. I was recently in NM for the restoration rally and had awesome green chile burgers... I may have to move... Hi d ho drive in and Owl Cafe. Need to try more!!!!!! Trying to recreate at home but not doing so well

PS chili or chile?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Fast food should be an oxymoron. Unfortunately it seems to be a great American tradition which we also seem determined to export to all parts of the world that are not yet suffering from it. I guess it's revenge for the plague, yellow fever and malaria. If at all possible I avoid it completely.

Life is to short for fast food, and fast food helps make life even shorter.

If I had to do, I would select fish and chips and clam chowder at one of Ivar's outside fish bars.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Beer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Beer.

Gene
Gene

at our ages, beer is indeed fast food.... fast in and fast out lol

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
So, given that What-A-Burger started in CC do you give them a "locally-owned" exemption? IJS
Having eaten their food, would you?

While that isn't the correct response to your question, I'd say that "locally-owned" would mean one to about three locations. I can't think of an exception to that where the food is worth going out of the way to purchase, and especially on vacation.

A locally-owned chain (a couple of old fashioned drive-ins) known as Snapka's was barely okay when we moved here a few years ago. But not anymore.

It's fun to find out where the locals eat a quick bite . . but that'll never be the big chains.

One of the BBQ houses here (an old one) in Oakville, TX has opened a second location in the rush of the oil boom. VAN's. I use the second location several times weekly for "lunch" (anytime between 1100 & 1900) as it is the best $5.29 sliced beef brisket sandwich imaginable.

Were you headed south of San Antonio for the coast on IH-37, then, yes, I'd go along with the OP . . can't do without a sandwich from VAN's as Exit 72 or Exit 65 is just too handy.

And I don't have to eat it there (would be the upshot to my above post).

Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
.. PS chili or chile?
Oh, that's a (presumably) controversial one! Here's an article that kind of lays it out:

Chile, Chili or Chilli

Personally, I use whatever spelling happens to come to mind at the moment. And at the moments when spelling comes to mind in this regard, I'm governed more by my stomach than by my mind.

Oh, but you must expand your horizons a bit. Catty-cornered across the street from the Owl in San Antonio is the Buckhorn. And they make one really mean green chile (I mean chili) cheeseburger, one that beat the one made by Bobby Flay in a Throw-Down!

Up my way, if you're heading from Santa Fe to Taos, you have to stop by Sugar's and order a Sugar Burger, also excellent! Sugar adds mushrooms and other stuff to the green chili topping, and it's great! But Sugar's is open only Thursdays through Sundays ...

Lynn
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Oh, that's a (presumably) controversial one! Here's an article that kind of lays it out:

Chile, Chili or Chilli

Lynn
Interesting article. I noticed it is written by someone with the same last name as mine, except she misspells it.
The one that surprised me is that she included chilly.
This is Chilly.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cwfish.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	164481  
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Chile for the peppers, chili for the resulting meat dish.

And, no, what they serve in Cincinnati has nothing to do with any spelling.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank

Chile, Chili or Chilli

Personally, I use whatever spelling happens to come to mind at the moment. And at the moments when spelling comes to mind in this regard, I'm governed more by my stomach than by my mind.

Oh, but you must expand your horizons a bit. Catty-cornered across the street from the Owl in San Antonio is the Buckhorn. And they make one really mean green chile (I mean chili) cheeseburger, one that beat the one made by Bobby Flay in a Throw-Down!

Up my way, if you're heading from Santa Fe to Taos, you have to stop by Sugar's and order a Sugar Burger, also excellent! Sugar adds mushrooms and other stuff to the green chili topping, and it's great! But Sugar's is open only Thursdays through Sundays ...

Lynn
Did you mean San Antonio TEXAS?? I have lived here my whole life and never heard of owl or buckhorn...
Airstream76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Did you mean San Antonio TEXAS?? I have lived here my whole life and never heard of owl or buckhorn...

No, he lives in New Mexico, so he means San Antonio, New Mexico.

There's a whole world outside of Texas. (well, a whole world minus Texas)

Ken
Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Geno's or Pat's Philly cheesesteak. Or if you're heading to Ocean City, N.J. Sugar Hill Deli in Mays Landing. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
My dad was from Clarion. We spent a lot of vacation time in northwestern Penna. Family has thinned out in that area and I haven't been through in about 10 years. Still might happen that I'll be back...
I went to college at Clarion. I haven't been back in quite a while, but I plan to go one of these years when Penn Wood is hosting the Autumn Leaf Festival rally.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #39
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

And, no, what they serve in Cincinnati has nothing to do with any spelling.

Except for R-O-L-A-I-D-S.

Reminds me of the Big Mac combo: A Big Mac and two Alka Seltzer...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Life is to short for fast food, and fast food helps make life even shorter.
Well said.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food