Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2021, 09:51 AM   #101
2 Rivet Member

Mesa , Arizona
My pet peeve is other people's inane, petty and over the top pet peeves. No one has the right to tell others how, when or where to camp. Don't like lights..move. Don't like kids..move. Don't like campfires.. move. Don't like dogs.. what is wrong with you? It is not incumbent on me to make your camping experience what you believe it should be. That is your responsibility! There are millions of acres in America to camp. Don't camp near me and complain about how I, or others, camp. Move to somewhere that meets your needs. BTW, I don't have kids, lights or campfires. I do have 2 friendly well mannered four legged children. I try to be as inoffensive/unobtrusive as possible but I will camp as I see fit.

Canyon
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #102
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Frankly I dislike all things listed but my pet peeve is the source of most of these - inconsiderate campers. It’s the current plaque of the philosophy of “my rights” . It’s not your right to scream and yell and play loud music while others are trying to sleep. It’s not your right to leave a barking dog for hours. One of my big ones, it’s not your right to cut through my site right next to my unit. And it’s not your right to cook bacon in the morning before I’ve had breakfast AND forgot to bring bacon along.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
My pet peeve really relates to campgrounds They advertise WIFI, but it is as slow as dial up. I have yet to be in a campground that had decent WIFI. They should just skip it. It's a joke.

I have found a few that have been very good, but despite being an engineer with lots of graduate level classes and degrees, I did come to realize that the terrible wi-fi was probably often times my own fault. The Airstream is electrically tight enough in the Safari (no wraparound panoramic windows), but my wife would put silver coated bubble wrap in the windows at night. We cut these so she could read in the trailer when I was at Star Parties without getting everybody mad about white light. She used them when we camped because she felt they gave more privacy at night.

Amazing that some of the wi-fi wasn't too bad when I discovered that behind the drapes she had created a complete Faraday Cage out of my Airstream. Amazing how well the wi-fi worked at night when I removed the metal window coverings.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #104
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I wouldn't call it a pet peeve so much as amusing. Seems most campgrounds must be high crime areas by the sounds of car alarms going off. Most commonly heard in the morning, but sometimes around dinnertime too.
The old “I sat on my keys instead of hanging them up in the trailer” excuse
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #105
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
The endless barking dog left in an RV. (Or worse, on a rope outside an RV) It’s never consistent they bark for a while, take a 30 second break, and go again for 20 minutes. I can put up with swaying trailers, generators, smoky fires, and screaming kids, but there’s just no escape from a non stop barking dog. Our dog will just stare over at the offender and shake her head. ��
I agree with this but it is simple to fix that most owners don’t follow. Put the dog or dogs in a crate when your gone and if it happens to be a hyper dog make sure you put a cover over the crate. Problem solved.

BTW for those of you reading this that are “guilty” of leaving your dog out and are saying that “I don’t want to take up precious space with a crate” Amazon Basics makes a great canvas sided crate that folds up flat and will fit under or on top of your bed when not in use
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:52 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Horn help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
People who must hit the car remote 10 times to unlock/lock car doors while the headlights and horn honks. Turn that crap off already. Also I agree that I hate campground cruisers whether it be golf carts, utv's or the local folk in their cars.
This one of my pet peeves, too. And since we purchased our F-150 I annoy myself every time I shut the door with the key in my pocket while it’s running or by locking the doors, etc. My problem is that I have not been successful in finding a way to deactivate the horn alarm, despite thoroughly reviewing the manual. Anyone here who drives a F-150 that knows how (if) this can be done?
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #107
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Life’s Too Short

..... for whining. A little tolerance for our differences might do all of us some good.

Cheers!
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
My pet peeve is dealers that would push to sell you a TT that exceeds the limits of your TV, with a sh**ty hitch to bot. That is for first time buyers, like it was me a decade ago. Hook you up and send you out ASAP. I was towing a FC27 with a LR exceeding the tongue weight by 50%, 2,000 miles and over the Rockies.

I look at regulations with suspicion in general and very critically but... just like taking a test to get a drivers’ license, maybe it would be a good idea to require learning and taking also a test for towing, not to the extent of a CDL but close to it. I should not have been allowed on the road with that rig. In fact a good decade went by with the luck on my side, until I had a pretty harrowing event of sway to the point of jackknife. Nobody got hurt, except my arrogance in believing ‘I have this’ and my wallet. I did not have it. Only after the incident I got a book on studying for the CDL test, got a PP3 (at 6 times the price of the hitch I used for a decade) and signed up for classes on snow/ice driving at a school in CO. The ‘incident’ was on a perfect day without any show, ice or water on the road, no sudden lane change or speed change. Oh, with a smaller TT and a larger TV (F150)
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Well, "me and my spouse" is correct when it is a direct or indirect object or the object of a preposition. An example, "He did that for me and my spouse." Or, "He gave me and my spouse a free hamburger."

Tim
Tim said it real good.

Seriously, I’m glad English is my native language. I don’t envy those who need to learn it as a second language, especially after childhood.
😇
Old 02-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by broyston View Post
I can’t stand it when lint gets in my belly button.
That’s a BB ver 1.0 problem. Ver 2.0, sometimes referred to as an “outie” resolved that bug.

🤓
Old 02-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #111
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , Montana
People-please leave and let me have the earth to myself!
montana brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member

Rancho Cucamonga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmox View Post
I've been reading posts from folks who inexplicably don't like dogs, campfires, children, and other activities.
But my hands down #1 pet peeve is watching an SOB driver going down the road fighting some sway in an undersized TV. I'm absolutely not trying to resurrect an ages old debate, but when it puts my family and I in danger, it really burns my ass.
What is your pet peeve? Just keep it clean, and Airstream/camping related.
Oh boy- what a can of worms! - ha ha - I don’t need to engage anybody over TV’s. I could not agree more on people using TV’s with multiple band aids to try to get the job done with far less than is actually needed. It bothers me a lot when I see people’s lives at risk for the sake of saving some gas or having a dual duty daily driver. I go to salvage auctions and it’s heartbreaking to see the needless damage and injuries that are from towing accidents. I will not argue the point with anyone. I tow with a 2500 HD and have ZERO issues. I saw an idiot on the freeway the other day in a Prius - every bit of 70 mph in the left lane towing a U Haul enclosed trailer. That guy made everyone around him unsafe. To think he could lose that and hurt somebody is maddening. That should have a ticket and impound in my opinion.
syclone93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
1. Open frame generators
2. People who cut through my campsite
3. Campers who have all the outdoor lights on, outdoor TV's, and stereos. Usually accompanied by loud, semi to moderately inebriated camping personnel.
(If I wanted to go to the Las Vegas Strip I wouldn't be camping)
4. Drivers that think that distance between me and the car ahead is a hole for them to fill.
5. Swaying trailers

Wow! I'm a very angry person. Guess I will schedule some counseling starting tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Hands down, generator/engine idling noise and generator/engine idling fumes.

If you have to run your generator to make coffee in the morning you are DOING IT WRONG!
Old 02-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
People who leave their lights on outside their trailer all night long. Turn them off when you go to bed. They’re not a deterrent to anybody. And people that have those Ford pick up trucks with mirrors extended as they drive down the road with no trailer attached. They’re going to get them knocked off
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:01 PM   #116
1 Rivet Member

Grandville , Michigan
That is why they call it a "Pet" peeve!
Dogs...and owners who think you love their dog's barking as much as you do.
Wanna59cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
Trying to keep it clean!

When I see the people using the dump facility before us sticking the non potable water hose waay down their sewer hose!
fossil5775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #118
DG

2021 23' Flying Cloud
oakville , Ontario
Reading all the above I can get quite depressed at the thought I have a trailer on order - what have I done? If my camping experience is to be exposed to all these pet peeves maybe I should stick to hotels - Oh no, then my peeves would be loud TV from the room next door, stuffy rooms, dirty floors, expensive meals out, people running up and down the corridor outside, etc. Or rentals (even more unknown peeves awaiting).

After a lifetime of travel in hotels, I came to realize that one can pay more and more in ever more exclusive hotels just to get a little closer to the comforts and convenience of home - or of one's own trailer...

When we sailed we normally stayed at marinas overnight - even closer to your next door neighbour than in a campground. But we rarely had a problem. I am hoping campsites are a bit like marinas. Or invest in a pair of ear plugs and black out shades!
Waterbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
This one of my pet peeves, too. And since we purchased our F-150 I annoy myself every time I shut the door with the key in my pocket while it’s running or by locking the doors, etc. My problem is that I have not been successful in finding a way to deactivate the horn alarm, despite thoroughly reviewing the manual. Anyone here who drives a F-150 that knows how (if) this can be done?
The F150 Forum has an available file from a member to program the DRI to stop the honk honk. One gentleman paid the dealership to install the file for him ($100) and it stopped the honking. Here is the link for info:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/turn-...14719/index22/
Old 02-21-2021, 03:01 PM   #120
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Somerville , Alabama
People that cut through your camp site! Seems like this problem is getting worse... with more and more people that are new to camping comes more and more people that do not understand basic campground educate. We have started picking campsites that we believe will have the least likelihood of people cutting through it. I understand when kids do it... but you would think adults would know better... That's my top pet peeve!
BamaBill is offline   Reply With Quote